Nica Landin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a prospective PhD student aiming to start in September 2021 and I am contemplating applying for a Doctorate Loan.

At this stage, I haven't been able to secure funding to start my PhD. I am thinking to fund my first year with the Doctoral Loan and then apply for a grant from UKRI (or an alternative funding source) for my second year onwards. If I were to do this, I would need to cancel my loan during my first year. I would like to know, what are the cancellation policies of doing this? Do I need to repay the instalment received immediately or after I finish my PhD? Does this action affect the possibilities of applying again for the remaining balance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nica Landin)
I am a prospective PhD student aiming to start in September 2021 and I am contemplating applying for a Doctorate Loan.

At this stage, I haven't been able to secure funding to start my PhD. I am thinking to fund my first year with the Doctoral Loan and then apply for a grant from UKRI (or an alternative funding source) for my second year onwards. If I were to do this, I would need to cancel my loan during my first year. I would like to know, what are the cancellation policies of doing this? Do I need to repay the instalment received immediately or after I finish my PhD? Does this action affect the possibilities of applying again for the remaining balance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi Nica,

Our guidance states:

Students who are in receipt of any of the following will not be eligible to receive a PGD loan:

Research Council (RC) studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support
Social work bursary
Educational Psychology Bursary and their course starts on or after 1st August 2020
NHS bursary
National Institute for Health Research bursary
Postgraduate Loan for Masters course
Undergraduate HE funding (except PG DSA)

NOTE: If at any point during their study they receive any of the listed funding they will become ineligible for the PGD, any payments made to them would be classed as an overpayment and would need to be repaid.

If a student initially receives PGD funding, then applies for the RCS and it is awarded, the student will not be placed into overpayment. They will receive no further payments of the PGD from the date the RCS is awarded.

This means your application will be made ineligible and any funding you have received will need to be paid back immediately. You will be able to set up an affordable payment plan.
Thanks, Isaac
Nica Landin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Nica,

Our guidance states:

Students who are in receipt of any of the following will not be eligible to receive a PGD loan:

Research Council (RC) studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support
Social work bursary
Educational Psychology Bursary and their course starts on or after 1st August 2020
NHS bursary
National Institute for Health Research bursary
Postgraduate Loan for Masters course
Undergraduate HE funding (except PG DSA)

NOTE: If at any point during their study they receive any of the listed funding they will become ineligible for the PGD, any payments made to them would be classed as an overpayment and would need to be repaid.

If a student initially receives PGD funding, then applies for the RCS and it is awarded, the student will not be placed into overpayment. They will receive no further payments of the PGD from the date the RCS is awarded.

This means your application will be made ineligible and any funding you have received will need to be paid back immediately. You will be able to set up an affordable payment plan.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you very much, Isaac, this is very helpful.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nica Landin)
Thank you very much, Isaac, this is very helpful.
You're welcome
gg900
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi sorry to interject, I am in a similar situation. If you got a PGD Loan for the first year but then got a scholarship in the second, does that mean you would immediately need to pay back the first year?Thanks, Gabs
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gg900)
Hi sorry to interject, I am in a similar situation. If you got a PGD Loan for the first year but then got a scholarship in the second, does that mean you would immediately need to pay back the first year?Thanks, Gabs
Hi there, yes but not immediately. You will be allowed to set up an affordable payment plan with our collections department if you can't afford to pay it all back at once.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
31.8%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.57%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads