The Student Room Group

Will ny depression go against me

Hi

I am in the process of applying to university to do paramedic science. I currently work for the Ambulance Service and I do have a history of depression and anxiety. Is this likely to go against me if they request a medical?

Thanks
Original post by Natalieannd90
Hi

I am in the process of applying to university to do paramedic science. I currently work for the Ambulance Service and I do have a history of depression and anxiety. Is this likely to go against me if they request a medical?

Thanks

Highly unlikely, I would’ve thought. They support students effectively now as uni’s need students. Students = money and unis are a business. It’s in their best interest to support students as best as possible. Many more people are affected by conditions such as these nowadays.

We have lots of stresses throughout life that cause anxiety/depression but this does not mean we cannot function and perform our job to the best of our ability.

They look at the whole picture not just anxiety and depression as there’s way more to you than just this, right? I would contact them if you’re really concerned and see what support they offer. I think you’ll be absolutely fine 👍
'Fitness to Practice' is something that all health course applicants have to pass.
This is a standard set by their professional accrediting body.

If your depression/anxiety is mild and under control with drugs this shouldn't be an issue - its just they they have a responsibility not to train anyone who is not able to function properly in the job, ie. having an anxiety attack when treating a patient or in a pressured situation.

Quick Reply

Latest