The Student Room Group

A level photosynthesis - diagram

Labelled diagram of organelle involved in photosynthesis with adaptations for carrying out the process efficiently?

Does the diagram i attached work?

Granum - act to increase the surface area of the thylakoids, which results in more light being absorbed into the chlorophyll
Stroma - contains enzymes needed to catalyse the light independent stage
Thylakoids - provide a large surface area for chlorophyll, electron carriers and enzymes that carry out the light dependent reaction
Lumen?????
(edited 2 years ago)
The diagram is good but I think you might be a little confused with the explanation part. Grana are just stacks of thylakoids I wouldn’t say they act to increase the surface area of thylakoids.

Have you read about the light dependent reaction? When thinking about the thylakoid linen think about what you know about the electrochemical gradient.
For A level biology, it's the simple obvious BUT relevant points that earn marks:-

Mention [in addition to the ideas you already have:-
----- the discus-like shape of the whole chloroplast
----- the multi-folded nature of the grana/thylakoids increases surface area [they are v thin and have numerous layers/stacks].
----- the flat parts of BOTH the chloroplast AND the thylakoids face the upper surface of leaf to receive sunlight directly.
----- if possible edit your pic to add ribosomes, which the choloroplast does contain - then you can mention that this allows the synthesis of the various proteins e.g. enzymes, necessary for photosynthesis.

Good luck & keep laughing - in the current crisis, we need our bodies to secrete as many endorphins & encephalins as possible! :lol:

Be safe!
M.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending