Chemistry help PLEASE ASAP

Watch
Oosousername
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
“ the move energy levels of electrons an atom has , the weaker the covalent bonds it forms” is it bc the more energy levels it has means less electrons are being shared as it needs fewer electrons to have a full outer shell therefore there are less covalent bonds to break; less energy is needed and boiling/melting points are lower as theres few bonds to break ?
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think you’ve misunderstood what energy levels are - they’re just the shells. If they’re are more shells how do you think that affects the covalent bond?
Oosousername
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
I think you’ve misunderstood what energy levels are - they’re just the shells. If they’re are more shells how do you think that affects the covalent bond?
If there’s more shells then theres less covalent bonds as its more likely the outershell is full?
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Oosousername)
If there’s more shells then theres less covalent bonds as its more likely the outershell is full?
It’s not about the number of covalent bonds as it says the covalent bonds formed are weaker, think about where the bond is if there are more shells.
TheKira
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
“ the move energy levels of electrons an atom has , the weaker the covalent bonds it forms” is it bc the more energy levels it has means less electrons are being shared as it needs fewer electrons to have a full outer shell therefore there are less covalent bonds to break; less energy is needed and boiling/melting points are lower as theres few bonds to break ?
The strength of a covalent bond is linked to the length of a covalent bond.
More shells or energy levels mean that the outer shell electrons are further away from the nucleus. Outer shell electrons are involved in covalent bonding.

If the number of shells increases then the distance between the outer shell electrons (bonding electrons) and the nucleus also increases. There's a weaker electrostatic force of attraction between the bonding electrons and the positive attraction of the nuclei and thus a weaker covalent bond.
Oosousername
Rep:
?
It’s not about the number of covalent bonds as it says the covalent bonds formed are weaker, think about where the bond is if there are more shells.
Ohhh I think I get it now, so the nuclei is positive and the electrons are negative, which leads to electrostatic forces between the two, if the outer shells increase the electrons are farer away from the nuclei, this results in a weaker electrostatic bond and therefore a weaker covalent bond? It kind of makes sense but I thought electrostatic forces were in ionic bonds, and that what held covalent bonds together was the sharing of electrons the covalent bond ?
Oosousername
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheKira)
The strength of a covalent bond is linked to the length of a covalent bond.
More shells or energy levels mean that the outer shell electrons are further away from the nucleus. Outer shell electrons are involved in covalent bonding.

If the number of shells increases then the distance between the outer shell electrons (bonding electrons) and the nucleus also increases. There's a weaker electrostatic force of attraction between the bonding electrons and the positive attraction of the nuclei and thus a weaker covalent bond.
Right okay, I think I kind of get it, that helps a bit thank you
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ohhh I think I get it now, so the nuclei is positive and the electrons are negative, which leads to electrostatic forces between the two, if the outer shells increase the electrons are farer away from the nuclei, this results in a weaker electrostatic bond and therefore a weaker covalent bond? It kind of makes sense but I thought electrostatic forces were in ionic bonds, and that what held covalent bonds together was the sharing of electrons the covalent bond ?
Yeah an electrostatic force is just the name for a force between a positive and negative charge. Ionic bonds involve electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions. In covalent bonds there’s a shared pair of electrons and the attraction to the nuclei of the two molecules that share the electrons is what keeps the molecules together.
Oosousername
Rep:
?
Yeah an electrostatic force is just the name for a force between a positive and negative charge. Ionic bonds involve electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions. In covalent bonds there’s a shared pair of electrons and the attraction to the nuclei of the two molecules that share the electrons is what keeps the molecules together.
But covalent bonds can’t conduct electricity as the electrons have no charge, however wouldnt the electrostatic forces give them a change?
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
But covalent bonds can’t conduct electricity as the electrons have no charge, however wouldnt the electrostatic forces give them a change?
Electrons all have a negative charge the reason it doesn’t conduct electricity is because the electrons aren’t free to flow in covalent bonds. In metals the electrons are delocalised so can carry charge and when molton or dissolved in water ionic compounds conduct electricity as the ions can flow.
Oosousername
Rep:
?
Electrons all have a negative charge the reason it doesn’t conduct electricity is because the electrons aren’t free to flow in covalent bonds. In metals the electrons are delocalised so can carry charge and when molton or dissolved in water ionic compounds conduct electricity as the ions can flow.
but even when a covalent bond is molten it cannot conduct electricity ,but in that state aren’t the electrons delocalised ?I had read somewhere that covalent bonds dont conduct electricity bc they have no charge, but that can’t be possible bc of the electrostatic forces and like you said electrons always have a - charge
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
but even when a covalent bond is molten it cannot conduct electricity ,but in that state aren’t the electrons delocalised ?I had read somewhere that covalent bonds dont conduct electricity bc they have no charge, but that can’t be possible bc of the electrostatic forces and like you said electrons always have a - charge
The electrons in a covalent bond aren’t delocalised even when the molecule is in liquid form so they can not carry charge and the atoms have no overall charge. When a simple covalent molecule melts/boils only the weak intermolecular forces break the strong covalent bond (shared pair of electrons) stay intact.

There is a exception to this which is graphite. Carbon can form 4 covalent bonds but in graphite only forms 3 do there are delocalised electrons which can carry charge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads