ElzGeek02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone,
I have recently finished my A Levels, and I am missing my history lessons (I know, I'm a huge philomath). I really enjoyed reading around our topics- in my case, we were on the AQA board studying:
Revolution and Dictatorship: Russia (1917-53),
British Empire (1857-1967),
I was wondering if anybody else who have finished early were feeling that they were in the same boat, and wanted some/ had any book recommendations? It may be fun to share some of these in this discussion, so hopefully there will be something for everyone! Also, any GCSE/degree- level historians or history lovers in general- please recommend some as well . Or, reply which topics you enjoy reading about and someone else may have some to recommend.
At GCSE (AQA again), we studied:
Britain: Health and the People (c1000-present),
Norman England (1066-1100),
Conflict and Tension in Asia (1950-75).
For me, I am really interested in the Early Modern period, the Victorian era and c20th history, but I am open to learning about other periods of time/ topics.
In case anybody is interested in reading some of the books for the A Level topics above, these are some of what were recommended to us:
Lenin on the Train (by Catherine Merridale),
Revolutionary Russia 1891-1991 (by Orlando Figes),
Inglorious Empire (by Shashi Tharoor)
Empire (by Jeremy Paxman).
Unfortunately, I didn't do much wider reading at GCSE, but if anybody knows of any books from those topics I would love to read them to refresh some of the things we covered.
Apologies for the essay, but I hope there will be plenty of recommendations for us all to read through!
All the best,
Eleanor
Last edited by ElzGeek02; 1 month ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keeping with the Russia theme, Natasha's Dance and A People's Tragedy, both by Orlando Figes.

Lenin: Life and Legacy by Dmitri Volkogonov

Ten Days That Shook The World by John Reed, eyewitness (mostly) account of the October 1917 coup

The Last Tsar by Edvard Radsinsky. If you're one of the many people who facepalm repeatedly when learning about the reign of Tsar Nicholas II, this book gives some valuable insight into what he was like. Has a lot of extracts from his private letters

For more general topics, Revolutions and Revolutionary Movements by James Defronzo gives a whistle-stop tour of various modern revolutions, like the Vietnamese, the Cuban, the Arab Spring, the Cultural Revolution in China.
ElzGeek02
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for replying, these books sound really interesting- I will definitely check them out 📕
patatasfritas007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey ElzGeek02 I'm year 12 currently and I am doing Revolution and Dictatorship: Russia (1917-53) AQA. It would be a huge help if you could send me example essays you have done as the highest score I have got this year is 17/25 and I have my Yr12 exam in a few days. I just made a thread regarding this and I could rly use the help.
ElzGeek02
Rep:
?
(Original post by patatasfritas007)
hey ElzGeek02 I'm year 12 currently and I am doing Revolution and Dictatorship: Russia (1917-53) AQA. It would be a huge help if you could send me example essays you have done as the highest score I have got this year is 17/25 and I have my Yr12 exam in a few days. I just made a thread regarding this and I could rly use the help.
Hey patatasfritas007, unfortunately I don’t have any practice essays to send you as they are being marked and I have thrown my others away as I no longer needed them, however I have replied to your original thread with some tips that I hope will be of some use
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.14%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads