The Student Room Group

biology - global warming

someone please help me: explain how rising temperatures may impact organisms (at a cellular level, i.e. enzymes and at an ecological level i.e. impact on distribution of organisms globally)

I put this but I think its wrong

Temperature affects the rate of enzyme activity and because of this it affects the whole organisms - plant, animals and microorganisms

They may grow or develop faster, they may die if their temperatures get too high because of their enzymes will denature
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah that's right. Think about it in a bit more detail and be more specific as well tho e.g. As temperature increases, enzymes gain more kinetic energy so there are more frequent successful collisions forming more enzyme-substrate complexes which increases the rate of reaction and therefore causes an increase in the rate of growth of plants/microorganisms. However, once temperatures are too high, enzymes denature so reactions slow down and eventually stop. This means that animals may migrate to cooler climates or may become extinct. Also for plants think about photosynthesis and the changes in the growing seasons that occur due to global warming.
I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending