The Student Room Group

american equivalent of university of edinburgh

Hey just wondering what would be the american equivalent of edinburgh for CS, like what are the american universities that are on par with it, the only ones on QS that are higher are really top tier.

I would really appreciate it if you could say the same for maths too, the general view of employers and americans towards UOE would also be appreciated.

thanks for reading.
I'd say probably the larger universities and state schools are the equivalent though it's hard to compare the two. MIT and the other technology institute schools have great CS programs.
The technology institute schools also have very good math programs as well.
Since I'm headed to the UK and I did my research on universities there, I think Edinburgh is a great university and anything in the Russell Group for that matter. I was going to apply there and then I just sort of forgot about it. But they had what looked like a rigorous framework and great classes. Many Americans look up to Edinburgh and I think the general consensus is that it's a great school. Of course we're all so focused on Harvard and Yale we don't really notice but it's definitely admired by us.
It also really depends on the US employer and what you want to do. There are plenty if not too many IT and CS jobs in the US.
Edinburgh is a great university and usually in the top 20 global ranking of universities. So beating many Ivy league universities. It has the 3rd highest funding after Oxbridge (though still far lower than several of the big Ivy leagues due to size of their gigantic endownments - even Oxbridge pales in comparison). Had British priminister graduate from there and Darwin of course.

When I was on wall street for an internship, they had only really heard of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial (MIT of UK) and Edinburgh. Those 5 universities have probably strongest global presence from UK.
Original post by Anonymous
I'd say probably the larger universities and state schools are the equivalent though it's hard to compare the two. MIT and the other technology institute schools have great CS programs.
The technology institute schools also have very good math programs as well.
Since I'm headed to the UK and I did my research on universities there, I think Edinburgh is a great university and anything in the Russell Group for that matter. I was going to apply there and then I just sort of forgot about it. But they had what looked like a rigorous framework and great classes. Many Americans look up to Edinburgh and I think the general consensus is that it's a great school. Of course we're all so focused on Harvard and Yale we don't really notice but it's definitely admired by us.
It also really depends on the US employer and what you want to do. There are plenty if not too many IT and CS jobs in the US.

I wouldn't put MIT and the other big tech institutes as similar to Edinburgh tbh. While they both have very good CS programs, these "institutes of technology" (in particular, MIT; Caltech; and Georgia Tech) have a level of brutality in their academics that isn't seen at Edinburgh. Also unlike most UK schools, these schools are all about their undergrads doing research while they're there. They have such a high proportion of students doing it that it can sometimes feel as though you're missing out if you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending