Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is Newman university good? I’ve seen some reviews on it and overall it seemed decent. I’m just stuck on between picking Aston Uni and Newman’s as an insurance. I heard Aston is a lot more independent and I’ve read some mixed reviews. I’m not too sure what to do. Help?
Newman University Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is Newman university good? I’ve seen some reviews on it and overall it seemed decent. I’m just stuck on between picking Aston Uni and Newman’s as an insurance. I heard Aston is a lot more independent and I’ve read some mixed reviews. I’m not too sure what to do. Help?
Hello, thanks for your question. You are weighing up a difficult decision as choosing which university to go to takes a lot of effort and consideration so be proud that you are asking for help what subject are you looking to study?

If it helps I went to Newman as a student after changing my mind after being at another university. I now work there because for the 4 years I was there Newman supported me to be an individual, yet also help me to work with and help others. The support services that Newman offer really help from the mental health adviser I needed in 3rd year to the support you get from the HEAD (Higher Education Academic Development) programme. This includes something called HEADStart at the beginning of your 1st year, which lasts 2 weeks before your course starts to help immerse you in the environment and connect you to other new students.

I hope this helps. If you need to ask anything else then please do. We run campus tours at the university if you want to sign up to one of them or you can chat to staff members and students on our https://www.newman.ac.uk/study/chat-to-our-students/]Unibuddy platform[/url] if you want to get more experiences.

Kind regards, Wesley (Official Newman University Rep)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! Thank you for your response. I have kept Newman’s as one of my choices, but have some doubts as I’ve heard some unsettling experiences from family. I’m a POC and these family members have stated how blatantly racist and rude some staff members were, as well as the area which makes me very uncomfortable. However, from other peers I’ve also heard some mixed reviews which is why I’m considering once again.
malakshahzain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi
malakshahzain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
sir I am new here can any one help me
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! Thank you for your response. I have kept Newman’s as one of my choices, but have some doubts as I’ve heard some unsettling experiences from family. I’m a POC and these family members have stated how blatantly racist and rude some staff members were, as well as the area which makes me very uncomfortable. However, from other peers I’ve also heard some mixed reviews which is why I’m considering once again.
Hello, I am really, really sorry to hear that from your family members. Have they expressed this to the university at all? As any racist behaviour cannot be tolerated.

I get you fully on this and you weighing up your choices. You have to find what place is best for you. Have you gone and visited your preferred universities? As I could offer you to book onto a campus tour of Newman and you can chat with me with, or a colleague, about your concerns and show you around. But, I want to make sure you have that option at your other choices too as this is a big choice and you need the full information given to you.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by malakshahzain)
sir I am new here can any one help me
Hello, if you need help then please do let us know what we can do for you and we will do our best. Are you looking to go to university?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.19%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
16.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.37%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads