The Student Room Group

Sociology GCSE

Hi, I have been given the option to take Sociology GCSE, and I am wondering if it is a good subject and if it is math based?
Sociology is a great GCSE and I really recommend it, it doesn't really have any maths involved and instead allows you to question the entire world around you. Personally, I found it relatively easy and is mainly based on logic and writing essays so it's not that bad: you can also get loads of easy marks as the paper is full of 2 and 4 markers which require little to no explanation. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Hammy22
Hi, I have been given the option to take Sociology GCSE, and I am wondering if it is a good subject and if it is math based?

@Hammy22
Hello! I have a 1st BA Hons Sociology degree, it is a really fun subject to study. Typically, you look at different aspects of society such as religion, social class, gender, ethnicity etc, and you apply different perspectives to them such as Marxism, Feminism, and Functionalism. I would say that going forward, if you wanted to carry onto degree level, have an action plan of what career you want to go into and aim for that (social work, teaching etc.)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by afinnerty
Sociology is a great GCSE and I really recommend it, it doesn't really have any maths involved and instead allows you to question the entire world around you. Personally, I found it relatively easy and is mainly based on logic and writing essays so it's not that bad: you can also get loads of easy marks as the paper is full of 2 and 4 markers which require little to no explanation. Hope that helps :smile:

So sorry for the delay and thank you! This was really helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Arden University
@Hammy22
Hello! I have a 1st BA Hons Sociology degree, it is a really fun subject to study. Typically, you look at different aspects of society such as religion, social class, gender, ethnicity etc, and you apply different perspectives to them such as Marxism, Feminism, and Functionalism. I would say that going forward, if you wanted to carry onto degree level, have an action plan of what career you want to go into and aim for that (social work, teaching etc.)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you so much, the course outline was very helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest