Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with sixth form teachers treating you like primary school kids watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by streetsdisciple)
    well shake it up then, if hes not listening refuse to tke part in his 'childish' tasks! dont just sit there wetting your pants in fear
    Clearly you didn't read my first post! :p:

(Original post by Eeyore)
    I told him that I refuse to do it, and stood and folded my arms while the others made half-hearted movements with their arms.

ReputationRep:
    Oi you, shut up! Evil little boy! :p: Anyway, I'm sure when I was at primary school I'd have entered into the spirit of it. I just think that for people who will be leaving home in a few months' time, it's inappropriate to be treating us like little kids.
    poor wittle rach needs her little teddy bear to comfort her. :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    My chemistry teacher has the habit of talking to us like 2 year olds. I'd prefer the childish tasks, because I like to at least be spoken to like a mature person, not someone who has only just learnt to walk...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    poor wittle rach needs her little teddy bear to comfort her. :aetsch:
    Hmm... Henry the Microwaveable Bear, to be precise! :p: Heh, that kind of stuff is ok outside school, but when they try and make out that the school is an "academic environment" and then treat us like that, it's just patronising and sad.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you didn't read my first post! :p:
    and then what did u do whilst your feeble revolution fell about around your ears? i bet u sat back down and got on with it instead of walking out!

ReputationRep:
    and then what did u do whilst your feeble revolution fell about around your ears? i bet u sat back down and got on with it instead of walking out!
    Yes, I admit it, I didn't have the courage to walk out. There's no need to be aggressive! It was basically a no-win situation, if I'd walked out I'd have looked a fool, and if I'd done what he wanted I'd have looked a fool too. The only thing I could think of to do on the spur of the moment was fold my arms and not do it. Nobody's perfect :s:.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I admit it, I didn't have the courage to walk out. There's no need to be aggressive! It was basically a no-win situation, if I'd walked out I'd have looked a fool, and if I'd done what he wanted I'd have looked a fool too. The only thing I could think of to do on the spur of the moment was fold my arms and not do it. Nobody's perfect :s:.
    fidel castro didnt gain control of cuba by FOLDING HIS ARMS DID HE?
    if you want something fight for it! you dont like his way tell everyone who will listen, students, other teachers, parents the lot!

ReputationRep:
    My solution: go to a sixth form college instead! The atmosphere is very different when everyone's 16+. I've never understood why schools have sixth forms at all - they work so much better separated.

ReputationRep:
    fidel castro didnt gain control of cuba by FOLDING HIS ARMS DID HE?
    if you want something fight for it! you dont like his way tell everyone who will listen, students, other teachers, parents the lot!
    Er do I want to gain control of the school? Rather an inappropriate comparison. I might have a word with him about it sometime, because he does listen to me and knows that I find the lessons rather basic, but at the time I guess I was just too surprised that he was sinking to such new levels to do anything constructive.

ReputationRep:
    Eccentric teachers are fun. My old history teacher used to spend entire lessons drinking tea with us and playing scrabble. Bizarrely, everyone in the class got an A (admittedly, it was a class of 5 people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Eccentric teachers are fun. My old history teacher used to spend entire lessons drinking tea with us and playing scrabble. Bizarrely, everyone in the class got an A (admittedly, it was a class of 5 people).
    *Laughs* At least scrabble requires some thought! I wouldn't mind that, it's just silly primary school activities (that includes making posters just with "key words" on them) that annoy me - they're such a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I was SO annoyed in English today. We're doing "Oh What A Lovely War", and my English teacher played us the song from the beginning about Johnny rowing a boat, and - get this - made us stand up and pretend to row. I told him that I refuse to do it, and stood and folded my arms while the others made half-hearted movements with their arms.

The guy is nuts. He went to Cambridge and seems very intelligent when you talk to him on his own, but we're 18 and treating us as though we were primary school kids is just NOT the way to make himself popular. Grrrrr :mad:. He's the one who has a "star chart", on which to mark who's handed in their homework on time and who hasn't. This gets on my nerves so much, I can't wait to go to uni. Do you think I should address the issue with him?
    Maybe he's just trying to be motivational.

ReputationRep:
    *Laughs* At least scrabble requires some thought! I wouldn't mind that, it's just silly primary school activities (that includes making posters just with "key words" on them) that annoy me - they're such a waste of time.
    Those posters can be really useful for revision...it's just another way of encoding the information. I know last year in my psych lessons most people liked to make the posters.

it sounds like he is just trying to make the lessons interesting. You can't really blame him, a lot of the stuff that you have to learn is going to be boring. It's been proved that you remember interesting things easier then bland things.
    Although if this isn't working for you then go see him and discuss it with him. You aren't in compulsory education anymore, you shouldn't be excluded from the system. If something isn't working for you then bring it up, maybe suggest an alternative way of teaching. Give him the ideas that other teachers have used which have been sucessful. It may seem daunting to question his teaching methods with him, but afterall the school will want better league tables. If the pupils feel uncomfertable or feel they aren't learning as well as they could then obviously something needs to be done. It would benefit the school, the teacher and you.

ReputationRep:
    My subject teachers are all right, but the other day, we were waiting outside our sociology room because the door was locked, and some random teacher came along, unlocked it and went in to get something. When he came out again, we all started to go in and he said 'wait out here, you can't enter the room without your teacher.' How pathetic! We're sixth formers! What did he think we were going to do in an empty room exactly? :rolleyes:

Oh, and today, one of my history teachers had a go at us for eating in class when EVERY other teacher lets us. This boy then turned up late and she asked him why, then told him to stand outside! :rolleyes: Hello, not in compulsory education anymore!!! Stop treating us like kids! Times like this I wish I'd gone to a sixth form/FE college instead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    My subject teachers are all right, but the other day, we were waiting outside our sociology room because the door was locked, and some random teacher came along, unlocked it and went in to get something. When he came out again, we all started to go in and he said 'wait out here, you can't enter the room without your teacher.' How pathetic! We're sixth formers! What did he think we were going to do in an empty room exactly? :rolleyes:
    Think of the possibilities! You could have thrown chairs, scribbled on walls, barricaded the door and refused to let anyone else into the room until they gave you money...

ReputationRep:
    I had to make (or pretend that, in my own time, for homework, I would make) key words posters - I hated being pushed into a method of revision that didn't fit me. The posters are probably still in the back of the file of notes I scrawled in the lessons and never read...

ReputationRep:
    I was SO annoyed in English today. We're doing "Oh What A Lovely War", and my English teacher played us the song from the beginning about Johnny rowing a boat, and - get this - made us stand up and pretend to row. I told him that I refuse to do it, and stood and folded my arms while the others made half-hearted movements with their arms.

The guy is nuts. He went to Cambridge and seems very intelligent when you talk to him on his own, but we're 18 and treating us as though we were primary school kids is just NOT the way to make himself popular. Grrrrr :mad:. He's the one who has a "star chart", on which to mark who's handed in their homework on time and who hasn't. This gets on my nerves so much, I can't wait to go to uni. Do you think I should address the issue with him?
    maybe you could try actnig like 18 year olds and playing along for a bit instead of sulking and refusing to participate? what's it gonna do, kill you? lighten up!

ReputationRep:

That sounds hilarious! Teachers who are boring and strict are the ones you should hate!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.