The Student Room Group

MBA change of university from MMU to Durham.

Dear SFE,

Can you help me with my situation below.
- I have applied for SFE Postgraduate loan for course starting March 2021 at MMU. However I found that the course at Durham has a better employability and rating and I decided to apply at Durham and have got an offer.
- As soon as I knew this I let MMU know that I would like to discontinue the course.
- My course at Durham would only start in Septermber 2021.
-Before I could submit my change of circumstances form, MMU has informed SFE that I have withdrawn.
- Now SFE has stopped the payment. I have received the first instalment of the loan in March

- Can you please help me with the best way forward. MMU has said that the relevant status for them is 'Withdraw' as I am discontinuing from MMU. They are not concerned about my plans to do MBA at Durham.
- Can I repay what I have received and start a new application for the academic year from 2021.

Please help me.
Regards
Original post by gkeic
Dear SFE,

Can you help me with my situation below.
- I have applied for SFE Postgraduate loan for course starting March 2021 at MMU. However I found that the course at Durham has a better employability and rating and I decided to apply at Durham and have got an offer.
- As soon as I knew this I let MMU know that I would like to discontinue the course.
- My course at Durham would only start in Septermber 2021.
-Before I could submit my change of circumstances form, MMU has informed SFE that I have withdrawn.
- Now SFE has stopped the payment. I have received the first instalment of the loan in March

- Can you please help me with the best way forward. MMU has said that the relevant status for them is 'Withdraw' as I am discontinuing from MMU. They are not concerned about my plans to do MBA at Durham.
- Can I repay what I have received and start a new application for the academic year from 2021.

Please help me.
Regards

Hi, if you attended and then withdrew you won't be eligible for funding for the new course.

Did you attend at all?

The course starting in September is the 21/22 academic year and those applicants have not launched yet. You will need to pay back any money you received if you never attended.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, if you attended and then withdrew you won't be eligible for funding for the new course.

Did you attend at all?

The course starting in September is the 21/22 academic year and those applicants have not launched yet. You will need to pay back any money you received if you never attended.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you so much Issac for the reply.
No I didn’t attend the course.

When I access the SFE website, I can see that the status on my application is currently ‘Withdrawn’. Would I be able to repay using the option on the website?
Once repaid, how do I make an application for my course at Durham?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Rejoy
Original post by gkeic
Thank you so much Issac for the reply.
No I didn’t attend the course.

When I access the SFE website, I can see that the status on my application is currently ‘Withdrawn’. Would I be able to repay using the option on the website?
Once repaid, how do I make an application for my course at Durham?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Rejoy

The 21/22 application has not launched yet. You won't be able to apply until it launches - you can sign up to the mailing list here https://studentfinance.campaign.gov.uk/

For now - you need to ask your old university to contact us to confirm you never attended the 20/21 course and you should repay the money you received.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
The 21/22 application has not launched yet. You won't be able to apply until it launches - you can sign up to the mailing list here https://studentfinance.campaign.gov.uk/

For now - you need to ask your old university to contact us to confirm you never attended the 20/21 course and you should repay the money you received.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Issac, how will they confirm that? Is there a form to fill or is it by letter or should I get a letter from university and forward it to?
Thank you.

Regards
Rejoy
Original post by gkeic
Thanks Issac, how will they confirm that? Is there a form to fill or is it by letter or should I get a letter from university and forward it to?
Thank you.

Regards
Rejoy

They use a system called Student Information Services.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
They use a system called Student Information Services.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you so much Issac. I will cancel the application and repay the loan once the university confirms that.
Is that the right order of events to complete the cancellation?
Original post by gkeic
Thank you so much Issac. I will cancel the application and repay the loan once the university confirms that.
Is that the right order of events to complete the cancellation?

You are unable to cancel it yourself if payments were made. The university needs to do this.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
You are unable to cancel it yourself if payments were made. The university needs to do this.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Issac. I been speaking to MMU for the past week and I can’t get them to co-operate.
Their view is they are not responsible for anything to do with SFE. They are not interested in this as they have clarified that I am not their student. I have document to prove that I haven’t attended the course.

I will try to get them to cancel my application, do you know how should they do it? What system they should access and what they should change?
Original post by gkeic
Thanks Issac. I been speaking to MMU for the past week and I can’t get them to co-operate.
Their view is they are not responsible for anything to do with SFE. They are not interested in this as they have clarified that I am not their student. I have document to prove that I haven’t attended the course.

I will try to get them to cancel my application, do you know how should they do it? What system they should access and what they should change?

If they received money from us then they are responsible for withdrawing you from the course.

The system is "Student Information Services" - they can call us if they need help.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
If they received money from us then they are responsible for withdrawing you from the course.

The system is "Student Information Services" - they can call us if they need help.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you sure I will try that .

-Just to clarify, I have applied for post graduate loan and the 1/6th of the total amount was dispersed to myself.
-I had to pay MMU the first module but I got refunded as I didn’t attend the course.
-They withdraw my application and updated SFE.
- SFE has stopped payment to me and sent a letter stating the reason as’ Course withdrawal’

I have an offer from Durham for MBA and like this loan to part fund the fees.

Sorry if the description of the events above makes any difference in my case
Original post by gkeic
Thank you sure I will try that .

-Just to clarify, I have applied for post graduate loan and the 1/6th of the total amount was dispersed to myself.
-I had to pay MMU the first module but I got refunded as I didn’t attend the course.
- SFE has stopped payment to me and sent a letter stating the reason as’ Course withdrawal’

I have an offer from Durham for MBA and like this loan to part fund the fees.

Sorry if the description of the events above makes any difference in my case

If the university has already withdrew the application then they don't need to send anything to us.

As long as they told us that you never attended in that withdrawal then it shouldn't affect your 21/22 application. We will find out after you apply and the assessors review your eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
If the university has already withdrew the application then they don't need to send anything to us.

As long as they told us that you never attended in that withdrawal then it shouldn't affect your 21/22 application. We will find out after you apply and the assessors review your eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac

Ok thank you Isaac for the quick replies.

Before I make the application for 21/22, shall I login to the SFE portal and repay whatever was dispersed to me? Are there anything I can do in preparation for the next application?
Original post by gkeic
Ok thank you Isaac for the quick replies.

Before I make the application for 21/22, shall I login to the SFE portal and repay whatever was dispersed to me? Are there anything I can do in preparation for the next application?

You should of repaid the money, you will be required to do that if you never attended.

I advise you to call us or message us on Facebook/Twitter and we can check to see if it shows you never attended

Twitter DM Link from Public - http://ow.ly/4Em330nPlau

FB link to Private http://m.me/SFEngland

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 14
You should of repaid the money, you will be required to do that if you never attended.

I advise you to call us or message us on Facebook/Twitter and we can check to see if it shows you never attended

Twitter DM Link from Public - http://ow.ly/4Em330nPlau

FB link to Private http://m.me/SFEngland

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, thank you so much. I will repay and will message you over Twitter or Fb. Would you be monitoring the inbox on Twitter/ FB?
Original post by gkeic
Hi Isaac, thank you so much. I will repay and will message you over Twitter or Fb. Would you be monitoring the inbox on Twitter/ FB?

I am on both but if I don't see your message then a colleague will answer.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending