The Student Room Group

Are these uni choices realistic :(

Hoping to be predicted AstarAA ( got 80% in maths, 90% and haven’t got econ back yet for my mocks and not sure on grade boundaries)!

Edinburgh (AstarAA), UCL (AstarAA), St Andrews (AAA), Leeds (AAB), Bristol (ABB), Exeter (BBB) - I will narrow it down to 5!
My GCSEs: 987777665 (not the strongest at all :frown: )
I’ll be applying for PPE/Politics and Economics
Original post by violetvine
Hoping to be predicted AstarAA ( got 80% in maths, 90% and haven’t got econ back yet for my mocks and not sure on grade boundaries)!

Edinburgh (AstarAA), UCL (AstarAA), St Andrews (AAA), Leeds (AAB), Bristol (ABB), Exeter (BBB) - I will narrow it down to 5!

your stats would be great for all those unis I'm sure. I would say that PPE at UCL is the most competitive course in terms of applicants to places ratio in the country. Think its like 1:30. Good luck and maybe try looking at similar courses :smile:

yes i think these are fine, you will almost certainly get 2 offers, and very likely get 3, fairly likely get 4
Reply 3
Original post by Levi.-
your stats would be great for all those unis I'm sure. I would say that PPE at UCL is the most competitive course in terms of applicants to places ratio in the country. Think its like 1:30. Good luck and maybe try looking at similar courses :smile:

Oh neat - tysm!! I'm looking to apply for the ucl basc rather... do you know any stats for that?
Oh neat - tysm!! I'm looking to apply for the ucl basc rather... do you know any stats for that?

https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london/basc-arts-and-sciences
58% get accepted with 63% for the study abroad option
EDIT: recently UCL PPE has gone from 3.3% to 25% so take from that what you will
(edited 2 years ago)
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read the bit about making sure you have 5 choices with a range of different grades, and why - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Seem pretty reasonable i.e. predicted A*AA
Basically you’ve taken the approach 2 reach, 2 medium, 1 safety which is a fairly balanced approach.

Only thing i will say is 80% is bare minimum A & 90% is a bare minimum A*, so I would say they are the optimistic take (although most schools tend to take this approach for UCAS predictions), you have to then be realistic and understand you have to later achieve these results.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Seem pretty reasonable i.e. predicted A*AA
Basically you’ve taken the approach 2 reach, 2 medium, 1 safety which is a fairly balanced approach.

Only thing i will say is 80% is bare minimum A & 90% is a bare minimum A*, so I would say they are the optimistic take (although most schools tend to take this approach for UCAS predictions), you have to then be realistic and understand you have to later achieve these results.

wdym? its like sub 70 % for an A* in a lot of A-level courses... Agree with latter part, unsure if you were being hyperbolic with the boundaries which seem very American
Original post by Levi.-
wdym? its like sub 70 % for an A* in a lot of A-level courses... Agree with latter part, unsure if you were being hyperbolic with the boundaries which seem very American

I suppose it depends how they correlate the individual paper scores, but they used to convert papers to UMS for the qualification as a whole, when I did A-Levels it was 90% for A* and 80% for an A.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
I suppose it depends how they correlate the individual paper scores, but they used to convert papers to UMS, when I did A-Levels it was 90% for A* and 80% for an A.

UMS isn't a thing anymore lol. Pretty sure now that its linear you just get one mark out of a total that determines the grade.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-RL-GDE-BDY-JUN-2019.PDF
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/gce-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf

Biology ranges around 65 percentish for an A*, chemistry around 82 percent for an A* and maths 78 percent on AQA.
Original post by Levi.-
UMS isn't a thing anymore lol. Pretty sure now that its linear you just get one mark out of a total that determines the grade.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-RL-GDE-BDY-JUN-2019.PDF
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/gce-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf

Biology ranges around 65 percentish for an A*, chemistry around 82 percent for an A* and maths 78 percent on AQA.

Im aware, problem is individual paper grade boundaries change every year. I suppose this candidate will have to check scores relative to the grade boundaries of their papers. But I think the point still is you have to consider your grades and university choices relative to the range and variation you’ll have on exams.
Original post by mnot
Im aware, problem is individual paper grade boundaries change every year. I suppose this candidate will have to check scores relative to the grade boundaries of their papers. But I think the point still is you have to consider your grades and university choices relative to the range and variation you’ll have on exams.

agree with this but 90% for an A* is symptomatic of a ridiculously easy exam imo. Still having healthy risk management is essential when applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending