How did you get your next job when you were let go for performance from last job?

Watch
ValeciaCho
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Last job had a bit of a toxic manager come along and that kinda lead to my performance spiralling down. Got let go eventually cuz a new system we were getting was just **** and our department was just constantly shafted. Never contested and I don't want to.

I've just been saying to recruiters that I was terminated cuz 2nd lockdown hit and couldn't meet performance quotas. In fact my termination letter just says "poor performance".

Anyone been in this sorta situation? How did you get a decent ref for next job? E.g. Just asking previous employer for a basic reference.
Last edited by ValeciaCho; 1 month ago
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there anyone else at that company you got on well with who was say an internal customer for your department? Or is there someone there who could write you a decent reference that isn't that manager ?

If not maybe you need to do some voluntary work for a while in another company under the guise of gaining experience. Maybe an apprenticeship of some kind. Then when that's completed they could write a good reference for you.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Just go via recruitment agencies. No references needed, it's not that big of a deal in the UK. References are much more important in the U.S though.

In the UK, references are mainly used for compliance checks to verify your previous role and dates worked. Nothing more. Companies don't give out 'bad' references, too many legal issues. They just confirm the dates worked and your title.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the above. It may be worth checking wih your former HR dept as to what info is included in their references. My previous employers would only confirm my dates and last job title, (which can cause its own problems), they wouldn't get involved in providing details of my performance or the reasons for me leaving the role.
ValeciaCho
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Just go via recruitment agencies. No references needed, it's not that big of a deal in the UK. References are much more important in the U.S though.

In the UK, references are mainly used for compliance checks to verify your previous role and dates worked. Nothing more. Companies don't give out 'bad' references, too many legal issues. They just confirm the dates worked and your title.
Also Admit-One, ye am going through an agency, but they are so pedantic. They want 3 yrs of refs and won't accept personal emails. E.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook etc. They want actual work emails.
Last edited by ValeciaCho; 1 month ago
gandalfslipper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Going through an agency you may still need a reference.. the company hiring you would probably still require...

Anyway, many references dont actually come through, sometimes they are sent to the wrong department, other times people refuse to give one or are scared to even fill one out from my experience, even if you've been a great employee. Many won't even give you a poor one but will just state your length of service and such.

This will depend on what job you are heading to next/industry but to be honest, just saying you came to the end of contract or let go due to covid for many is enough. As I mentioned above many just won't give the main reasons you left or will just give a standard reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.44%
Uncertainty around my education (61)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (64)
12.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (70)
13.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.5%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (57)
10.69%
Financial worries (33)
6.19%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.75%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.81%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (54)
10.13%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (44)
8.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise