SaintSaint
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I guess my biggest concerns are just with the place in general, I’ve never been to or lived in a place thats similar (I’ve never even been to scotland) So I’m just worried that I may not enjoy living there. I definitely want to have fun at uni, and from what i’ve seen of St Andrews so far, it definitely is quite small and im not sure how it would compare say to a university in a bigger city such as london or bristol (in terms of life in general, social and nightlife.)

Im sure there are things to do, but with it being so far out (8 hour drive from where I live) and being sort of in the middle of no where. I fear that I may become bored of the place, from what I’ve seen its mainly just three streets and if I am going to live there for 4 years then its definitely a worry for me. I dont want to miss out on that sort of student experience. So just any advice or just thoughts on my opinions and how the compare to what its actually like there would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I do know its not necessarily the most important factor, but I would like to go to the best university that I can possibly go to. Whilst St Andrews ranks very highly in domestic tables, I have heard that it is partially due to student satisfaction being used as a factor. As a result, I am slightly confused as to how it compares to other universities in terms of prestige and overall performance. If you had any thoughts on this, that could also be useful.

(Sorry for the long messages but I am definitely stressing as I have to decide today.)

Some more general questions;
-What things do you really dislike about the university? and what do you love about it?

-Do you know anyone studying physics? and how are they finding their course (I wasnt able to contact anyone who does do physics as of yet)

-If you had to pick your university again, would it still be St Andrews? Why?

-What was your initial experience when moving to the town
ellie1964
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SaintSaint)
I guess my biggest concerns are just with the place in general, I’ve never been to or lived in a place thats similar (I’ve never even been to scotland) So I’m just worried that I may not enjoy living there. I definitely want to have fun at uni, and from what i’ve seen of St Andrews so far, it definitely is quite small and im not sure how it would compare say to a university in a bigger city such as london or bristol (in terms of life in general, social and nightlife.)

Im sure there are things to do, but with it being so far out (8 hour drive from where I live) and being sort of in the middle of no where. I fear that I may become bored of the place, from what I’ve seen its mainly just three streets and if I am going to live there for 4 years then its definitely a worry for me. I dont want to miss out on that sort of student experience. So just any advice or just thoughts on my opinions and how the compare to what its actually like there would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I do know its not necessarily the most important factor, but I would like to go to the best university that I can possibly go to. Whilst St Andrews ranks very highly in domestic tables, I have heard that it is partially due to student satisfaction being used as a factor. As a result, I am slightly confused as to how it compares to other universities in terms of prestige and overall performance. If you had any thoughts on this, that could also be useful.

(Sorry for the long messages but I am definitely stressing as I have to decide today.)

Some more general questions;
-What things do you really dislike about the university? and what do you love about it?

-Do you know anyone studying physics? and how are they finding their course (I wasnt able to contact anyone who does do physics as of yet)

-If you had to pick your university again, would it still be St Andrews? Why?

-What was your initial experience when moving to the town
Hiya, I'm not sure if this is too late to answer your questions but I thought I'd do my best - hope you managed to decide!

The size of St Andrews is pretty exaggerated. There's 3 main streets in the centre, but the town extends far beyond them. Once you get to explore for yourself, you realise how much of it there really is. Everything is within walking distance, and cycling is also really popular. I really like this personally, because it means you get to know the town inside out, and discover your own favourite spots at the same time. It's also well connected if you do want to get out of town. It's a short drive away from Dundee where there's more of a 'traditional' nightlife and also has the train station at Leuchars if you're wanting to visit bigger cities. Believe it or not, but I've yet to meet anyone who's bored at St Andrews - it's small yes, but there's always lots going on. Student satisfaction is really high for a reason, and that's because the student experience is so unique! All universities use student experience as a factor in their rankings, not just St Andrews.

St Andrews consistently comes out as top 3 in the UK just after Oxford and Cambridge and it's well deserved. It's well-known, especially in the United States, and so international students make up a lot of the student body. I personally think this is one of the best things about being in St A's, because you get to meet people from all over the world who you otherwise wouldn't have! The small student population means that class sizes are small - especially in tutorial/seminar groups - so your tutors really get to know you in a way that they don't elsewhere. The teaching is fantastic and the flexibility of the degree system in Scotland means that you can easily change your degree path if you decide that your original course isn't what you want to study after all. It also means you get to dip into other subjects in 1st and 2nd year which most people really enjoy.

As far as your other questions go, I can honestly say I don't dislike anything about the university other than the fact that living in St Andrews is expensive. Student halls are all pretty pricey, and finding private accommodation can be a bit of a nightmare at times. However, there are lots of resources for the latter. I love nearly everything else though. It's an incredibly safe place to live - it's nicknamed 'the bubble' for good reason! - and there are very few places in the world like it. The architecture in town is beautiful, and the beaches are gorgeous. The traditions are completely unique and go back centuries... I really could go on and on. My point is, it's a very special place!

I don't know anyone studying physics personally, but if you go onto the website and find the 'Ask a Student' feature, you'll be able to ask more specific questions about studying it with someone who does

My initial experience was really good. Your halls, the Union and academic schools all run events to make sure you meet as many people as possible in your first week, so I'd definitely suggest attending as many of those as possible. I met so many of my closest friends just by showing up. The first week is really just about settling in, so attending your first few intro lectures, attending events and matriculating. If you have any more specific questions about Freshers Week, I'd be happy to answer!

It's probably obvious, but I would choose St Andrews again in a heartbeat. I couldn't imagine myself being anywhere else to be honest.

I hope my - very long! - answer has helped. If you have anymore questions, I'd be more than happy to answer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads