The Student Room Group

I didn't do psychology A Level should I do it at uni?

I'm currently in year 12 and I've had a sudden interest in doing a psychology degree at uni. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Language as my A Levels and I know that I can do a Psychology degree with those A Levels but I don't want to be too behind when I go to university just because I didn't take psychology as an A Level. Is it worth it?
(edited 2 years ago)
You will be fine, most people haven't studied psychology before going to university which is why the first year covers the basics to ensure everyone understands to a similar level. This also helps if people have done different exam boards as they won't have studied the same thing. If you're interest in studying it, go for it!
Reply 2
Original post by OneStudyataTime
You will be fine, most people haven't studied psychology before going to university which is why the first year covers the basics to ensure everyone understands to a similar level. This also helps if people have done different exam boards as they won't have studied the same thing. If you're interest in studying it, go for it!

thank you!!
Original post by shahnoor1
I'm currently in year 12 and I've had a sudden interest in doing a psychology degree at uni. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Language as my A Levels and I know that I can do a Psychology degree with those A Levels but I don't want to be too behind when I go to university just because I didn't take psychology as an A Level. Is it worth it?

@shahnoor1
Hello! In terms of social science degree's the first year is really the foundation knowledge you need to go on and succeed, so if you have done it at A level it does feel like a lot is repeated. The biology A level will very useful for the sciency side of the subject. I did my MSc in Psychology and had little prior knowledge and did well.

A useful book to have a look at would be 'research methods in psychology' by Coolican when you get to Uni

Have you considered doing your psychology degree at Arden? The course is fully accredited with the BPS and there are on campus, blended, and online options to consider https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by shahnoor1

Hi there!!

It's great to hear you have a interest in doing a Psychology degree:smile: You can most definitely do a Psychology degree even if you haven't studied it yet. Most university courses start from the basic in year one, this way they can get everyone on the same level as those that have studied Psychology. So don't feel like you'll be behind as the majority of universities starts at the basic anyway!! I would say Psychology is 100% worth it to study, I enjoy every moment I learn and study about the subject. If you are thinking of doing a psychology degree, make sure that your course is accredited by the BPS!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please let me know!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!!

It's great to hear you have a interest in doing a Psychology degree:smile: You can most definitely do a Psychology degree even if you haven't studied it yet. Most university courses start from the basic in year one, this way they can get everyone on the same level as those that have studied Psychology. So don't feel like you'll be behind as the majority of universities starts at the basic anyway!! I would say Psychology is 100% worth it to study, I enjoy every moment I learn and study about the subject. If you are thinking of doing a psychology degree, make sure that your course is accredited by the BPS!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please let me know!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Hi, do you think biology, maths and English lit are good A levels for a psychology degree?
Original post by ParadoxicalNerd
Hi, do you think biology, maths and English lit are good A levels for a psychology degree?

Hi there!

I think that is an excellent mix for a psychology degree. They will all come in handy throughout your psychology degree if you decide to do one! Biology will come in handy because you will cover biological psychology and if you've studied biology before, it will make it a lot easier for you to understand the content. Some universities like you to have studied a science, so this is good that you would tick that box. In psychology we use alot of statistics so maths will come in super handy throughout the whole of the degree. This is the same with english lit, psychology is very essay based and a lot of reading and so is english literature so already having essay-writing skills and reading skills will really help you!

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know.

Becca
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

I think that is an excellent mix for a psychology degree. They will all come in handy throughout your psychology degree if you decide to do one! Biology will come in handy because you will cover biological psychology and if you've studied biology before, it will make it a lot easier for you to understand the content. Some universities like you to have studied a science, so this is good that you would tick that box. In psychology we use alot of statistics so maths will come in super handy throughout the whole of the degree. This is the same with english lit, psychology is very essay based and a lot of reading and so is english literature so already having essay-writing skills and reading skills will really help you!

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know.

Becca

Quick Reply

Latest