Ask us anything - studying Geography at university (University of Southampton)

Watch
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all!

We are two Geography students from the University of Southampton: Immy, a third year BSc Geography student, and Amy, a current MSc Applied GIS & Remote Sensing student and recent graduate of the BSc Geography course. As official student reps for the University of Southampton, we are happy to answer any and all questions you may have about studying geography, coming to Southampton - and anything and everything in between! Doesn't have to relate to Southampton either

Feel free to drop any questions below or use it as a space to meet other aspiring geographers! We look forward to chatting with you all!

Amy (4th year student ambassador) & Immy (3rd year student ambassador)
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 1 month ago
Fay40
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I want to study human geography in university. What are the various skills needed to study this course?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Fay40)
Hello, I want to study human geography in university. What are the various skills needed to study this course?
Hi Fay!
There's no 'one size fits all' set of skills needed to study human geography. Are you taking your A-Levels? A geography A-Level is strongly encouraged but otherwise I'd recommend developing skills in whatever interests you! Geographers are multidisciplinary - we work in so many different fields and no two geographers are the same! From health geography to climate change mitigation, cultural spaces to migration - you can tailor a degree in human geography to whatever your interests are! The one key skill though that I would say every geographer should have is passion. A passion to make a difference or do the thing you love is much more valuable that a particular A-Level or specific skill. If you're after a more specific answer however, I would say GIS (making maps!) is a very useful skill - try asking one of your geography teachers if the school has access to any ArcGIS software for you to try out (they should have access to ArcGIS online but if not here's the link for them to look at: https://schools.esriuk.com/#:~:text=...h%20GIS%20easy.). It is by no means a required skill to take on a degree but it may be something for you to get your teeth stuck into in the meantime.
Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any further questions

Amy (4th year student ambassador)
Fay40
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi Fay!
There's no 'one size fits all' set of skills needed to study human geography. Are you taking your A-Levels? A geography A-Level is strongly encouraged but otherwise I'd recommend developing skills in whatever interests you! Geographers are multidisciplinary - we work in so many different fields and no two geographers are the same! From health geography to climate change mitigation, cultural spaces to migration - you can tailor a degree in human geography to whatever your interests are! The one key skill though that I would say every geographer should have is passion. A passion to make a difference or do the thing you love is much more valuable that a particular A-Level or specific skill. If you're after a more specific answer however, I would say GIS (making maps!) is a very useful skill - try asking one of your geography teachers if the school has access to any ArcGIS software for you to try out (they should have access to ArcGIS online but if not here's the link for them to look at: https://schools.esriuk.com/#:~:text=...h%20GIS%20easy.). It is by no means a required skill to take on a degree but it may be something for you to get your teeth stuck into in the meantime.
Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any further questions

Amy (4th year student ambassador)
Hello, I am extremely sorry I am replying to this late. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my question.
Yes, I do study geography as an A level subject. I am currently in the process of writing my personal statement to study human geography and economics. Any advice or tips?
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
15.71%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (60)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
12.04%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.38%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (10)
5.24%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
25.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.57%

Watched Threads