EllyT:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am nearing the end of year 12 at college in England. I am studying A level Biology, Geography and Psychology and have just completed core maths (so next year I will have more free time). I have heard that doing an EPQ is beneficial and am considering it. Would doing an EPQ on something completely unrelated to my A levels be worth it or just a waste of time?
Last edited by EllyT:); 1 month ago
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say it's more important to consider whether your EPQ topic is relevant to the course that you want to do at university (if you plan to go to university) because it can be a great way of showing rather than telling your passion for the subject in your personal statement. I would also consider the fact that Geography coursework deadlines may clash with the EPQ and make the workload overwhelming (I think I only managed the EPQ despite deadlines near mocks approaching because I didn't have any subjects with coursework). I would overall however recommend it as if you start in the summer this year you'll be finished before Easter of year 13 (that's when we did it) and many universities reduce entry requirements, even if not mentioned on the website (for example I thought university of Exeter didn't care about the EPQ but they reduced the requirements by 2 grades if I put them as my firm and got an A in it) , which makes exams and results day less stressful

Sorry if this is really waffly but I hope it helps and I'm happy to answer any questions you have
EllyT:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I would say it's more important to consider whether your EPQ topic is relevant to the course that you want to do at university (if you plan to go to university) because it can be a great way of showing rather than telling your passion for the subject in your personal statement. I would also consider the fact that Geography coursework deadlines may clash with the EPQ and make the workload overwhelming (I think I only managed the EPQ despite deadlines near mocks approaching because I didn't have any subjects with coursework). I would overall however recommend it as if you start in the summer this year you'll be finished before Easter of year 13 (that's when we did it) and many universities reduce entry requirements, even if not mentioned on the website (for example I thought university of Exeter didn't care about the EPQ but they reduced the requirements by 2 grades if I put them as my firm and got an A in it) , which makes exams and results day less stressful

Sorry if this is really waffly but I hope it helps and I'm happy to answer any questions you have
This is really helpful thank you so much!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're applying for a course where they interview then doing a related EPQ gives you an obvious topic for the interview. If you're applying for a subject where they don't interview you could pretty much do anything. If you're going for a points based offer the EPQ gets you extra points and if you're going fro a grades based offer (e.g. AAA) then quite a few universities will drop the grades a bit if you get (e.g.) at least a B in EPQ.

There is an Autumn/WInter entry opportunity for EPQ, so if you start now you could get it completed and submitted well before any deadlines for Summer entries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise