Cyber Security Foundation Year/Low Predicted UCAS grades

Watch this thread
Sakar123
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I initally wanted to go Aston University to do Cyber Security, I am currently in Year 12 and Doing my year 12 end of year exams right now. I did ok in computing and Business I reckon but Biology I really messed up. I reckon I got a E or D off that exam. I emailed Aston and they said there foundation course, Engineering and Applied Science will work to get me to Cybersecruity, they need 3 Cs for the course. I dont know if i wnana do the engineering part and if I will get a C in Bio and if they accept Grades like BBD, even though its CCC. So i was wondering on the idea about doing foundation year in Cyber Secruity else where, but all the courses seem to be long 4 year courses, with foundation year in them. Is it possible for me to do those courses and then just go to Aston to do Cybersecruity. I emailed them about that and they said that
We would require an official course specification of your Foundation year and/or full transcript so that this can be thoroughly assessed by the Admissions team and tutor – however, this would only be done upon receiving a UCAS application, as we would not be able to assess this and give a decision beforehand. So i am kinda confused now any adgice guys?
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Sakar123)
I emailed them about that and they said that
We would require an official course specification of your Foundation year and/or full transcript so that this can be thoroughly assessed by the Admissions team and tutor – however, this would only be done upon receiving a UCAS application, as we would not be able to assess this and give a decision beforehand. So i am kinda confused now any adgice guys?
They've kind of already told you the answer.

It is generally possible to transfer unis between course years. But it depends heavily on whether the uni you want to transfer to will accept what you did at the uni you're transferring from. Imagine you did a Foundation year at another uni and it didn't teach you enough for the Aston course. You'd end up struggling in your first year. If you did the Foundation year at Aston, they know what level you're working at. Hence, they can't say if you'd be allowed in without seeing the Foundation year content at the other uni, nor can they decide beforehand or guarantee you a place later on.

Honestly I think you just need to weigh up your options. I can understand why you're torn. On one hand, Aston Foundation year is safer because it gets you straight on the course. But it seems to be largely irrelevant content wise and might not be that enjoyable if you don't want to do the Engineering side of it. A Foundation year at another uni on the other hand runs the risk of not being accepted if you try to move back to Aston.

I guess the big question is why are you so set on Aston? There's a lot of other universities available, why can't you do the entire degree at one of the others you've looked at? Besides that, another option could be to take a gap year, resit Biology if you do mess up and try get the grades to get into Aston with BBB. Bonus point is it gives you time to build up other skills, which might give you a stronger application next year. A poor grade may, in some circumstances, be offset by a strong portfolio of other work, proven skills in the field, etc. So I guess if you're confused, start expanding your options.
Sakar123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thanks for that, I don't think i will retake Year 12 I jus dont want to, and rather do a foundation year. I never really gave engineering a chance and dont know what its all about to be fair so maybe it might not be so bad. Im not really good with my hands so I hope they arent involved. And Im set on going Aston because it seems to be good for Computing too, and its mostly asians there which is good for me cuz I am asian too, (dont get me wrong I love all races) I also like the facilities there too, I did see one course in Birmingham City University which only needed 80 ucas points and it was a full course with a foundation year, so I emailed them if they had an option to opt out after foundation year. Anyways I haven't got my grades yet i guess we will see from there, currently tryna do as best as I can for this final bio exam I have to see if i can get any luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.8%
The paper was reasonable (198)
48.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.94%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.37%

Watched Threads