Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello,

i have a few questions regarding the accounting and finance course that i was hoping you guys could help me with. What are the sort of jobs do they go for once graduated, do a good number of them go into FO in IB or is that only a small proportion? I have looked at teh LSE graduate destinantion webiste, but it says "anaylst" without really specifying if its banking or research analyst.

Also, from what i have found on the website it seems that the course is run by the accounting department, do the people on this course still get to interact (take classes) with other departments (so for example, if one was to choose and economics module, would they be going to classes with otehr economics students).

Also, around how many people are there in each year group (undergrad).
    Most importantly, for those doing the course, do you enjoy the course and are the lecturers ok or do you wish you had applied for something else.
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I will comment because my first year is essentially the same as the A&F first year.

1) Not really the forum to ask about careers stuff, but it is LSE, loads of people do go into FO positions regardless of their specific degree.
    2) You have lectures with everyone else doing that course. The first Economics lecture (which you will do) has 900 people in it. In most classes you will be with a random mixture of people. However, for the first year Accounting unit, the A&F students get their own classes.
    3) You will meet loads of people, either in induction or randomly later on at parties and whatnot.
    4) Three of my five lecturers are really interesting, so far the Accounting lectures have been most tedious though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twistycircles)
    hello,

i have a few questions regarding the accounting and finance course that i was hoping you guys could help me with. What are the sort of jobs do they go for once graduated, do a good number of them go into FO in IB or is that only a small proportion? I have looked at teh LSE graduate destinantion webiste, but it says "anaylst" without really specifying if its banking or research analyst.
    Pretty much any quant degree from the LSE can go into FO IB. For non-quant (or minimal quant) roles such as Sales, pretty much any degree is fine.

Basically, career-wise at LSE, this is how it works:

1st year: if you're super-keen and have decided you want to do something in IB and nothing else, you should gun for a spring week/internship. These basically amount to two weeks' work experience at a bank (unpaid) where you get a much better insight into what goes on behind the glass doors than everyone else, and at the end of it you can get a straight offer for a summer internship the next year if you impress (which would ease exam pressures in your first-year and save you a LOT of application hassle in the first term of your second).

2nd year: it's all about scoring a summer internship. Your typical career-focused LSEr will beg, borrow, steal or kill to get one of these, and this year there'll probably be blood in the streets (in more ways than one). Safe to say, I feel sorry for this year's 2nd-years.

Summer internships: If you get one, make sure you impress enough to get an offer at the end of it. The competition at every bank is intense, so doing so won't be easy.

3rd year: If you didn't get an offer from your summer internship, you need to get in grad apps ASAP, especially this year--some people were applying to other places while they were still on internships during the summer. External hires this year are few and far between.

The other guy's fielded the questions about the course: virtually all econ/finance/quant courses here share three compulsory modules in common in the first year: EC102, ST102 and MA100.

ReputationRep:
    just curious, say if someone were not too keen on IB and was looking to pursue law school (i know this is random) would the acconting and finance at LSE course still suffice...

i just realised this is not the place to ask this question, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Similar to RJA I cannot answer the first part of your question. I have just started the BSc Accounting and Finance course and I am enjoying the course. As I started the course I was told that I would have to take 4 courses, 2 of which were optional. In your first year you have to take Principles of accounting and Economics B (fairly difficult if no background in Economics). You then have another 2 course options where you can chose to take two maths courses (One of which is very difficult if you have not taken further maths) or take two half maths courses and an outside option from a list of courses such as International Relations. The lecturer for Econ B this year is a professor called Alwyn Young who is a very interesting lecturer who makes each lecture almost enjoyable! They have given us alot of work to do for each course including alot of reading, the social life at LSE is what you make it. If you want to be out in London every night there are different clubs with student nights each day of the week (drinks aren't too expensive either!). I definately do not wish I had gone anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    I definately do not wish I had gone anywhere else!
    That's good to hear cos there's so many Oxbridge rejects round here! I didn't realise LSE was like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    That's good to hear cos there's so many Oxbridge rejects round here! I didn't realise LSE was like that...
    LSE and Imperial are renowned for it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the insight..one more question, in the third yr the course look like this:

Third year:
    Financial Accounting, Analysis and Valuation
    One option in Accounting
    One option in Finance
    One option from a Selection List including options in Accounting and Finance or Economics or Management or Business Statistics or Commercial Law or an outside option

however, the website also says
    If you wish to gain exemption from professional accountancy examinations you will normally need to take Commercial Law as an option.

so would i definately have to take commercial law as my fourth option if i dont want to take the accounting examination.

ReputationRep:
    Errm. Yes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twistycircles)
    thanks for the insight..one more question, in the third yr the course look like this:

Third year:
    Financial Accounting, Analysis and Valuation
    One option in Accounting
    One option in Finance
    One option from a Selection List including options in Accounting and Finance or Economics or Management or Business Statistics or Commercial Law or an outside option

however, the website also says
    If you wish to gain exemption from professional accountancy examinations you will normally need to take Commercial Law as an option.

so would i definately have to take commercial law as my fourth option if i dont want to take the accounting examination.
    yes but don't focus on doing the subjects which provide exemptions because a lot of the big firms will make you resit all exams whether or not you have already sat them. You are much better choosing subjects you enjoy and will therefore do well in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartyboy)
    a lot of the big firms will make you resit all exams whether or not you have already sat them.
    Not sure abot other firms but PWC certainly don't do that, they use the ACA board for graduate employees and do allow candidates the necessary exemptions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.