The Student Room Group

Wrong document accidental submitted on turnitin flagged for plagiarism

I was wondering if some one can offer some
advice..I am in my final year of uni and I’ve been in hospital over the past month and have been working on my assignments there and on the day my final assignment was due I also got told I was getting discharged. So in the process of getting discharged and submitting my work i accidentally submitted my research instead of my actual assignment. I was notified yesterday of a suspected plagiarism (57%) and an option to respond to my plagiarism claim. I wasn’t able to check my submission as I don’t have a laptop and was working on a laptop I borrowed from the hospital. So I only realised I submitted the wrong thing when I got a notification of plagiarism. What shall I do? Will I fail my degree because of this? 😭

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if some one can offer some
advice..I am in my final year of uni and I’ve been in hospital over the past month and have been working on my assignments there and on the day my final assignment was due I also got told I was getting discharged. So in the process of getting discharged and submitting my work i accidentally submitted my research instead of my actual assignment. I was notified yesterday of a suspected plagiarism (57%) and an option to respond to my plagiarism claim. I wasn’t able to check my submission as I don’t have a laptop and was working on a laptop I borrowed from the hospital. So I only realised I submitted the wrong thing when I got a notification of plagiarism. What shall I do? Will I fail my degree because of this? 😭

Contact the lecturer in charge of the module and explain. They allow you to resubmit given the circumstances - is anyone at your university aware of your hospitalisation?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Contact the lecturer in charge of the module and explain. They allow you to resubmit given the circumstances - is anyone at your university aware of your hospitalisation?

Thank you for replying to me..I handed the assignment in on its due date and only realised 2 days ago about my mistake when I got the email from the plagiarism officer. No one was aware that I was hospitalised.
Do you think it’s too late for me to contact the lecturer?
hospi
Reply 3
Thank you for replying to me..I handed the assignment in on its due date and only realised 2 days ago about my mistake when I got the email from the plagiarism officer. No one was aware that I was hospitalised.
Do you think it’s too late for me to contact the lecturer?
hospi

It's not too late, in fact, you should send him/her an e-mail this evening.
Reply 4
Original post by Kerzen
It's not too late, in fact, you should send him/her an e-mail this evening.

I’ve been in the process of typing one up but have been crying non stop and didn’t know what I was supposed to do.
Reply 5
I’ve been in the process of typing one up but have been crying non stop and didn’t know what I was supposed to do.

It doesn't actually need to be a long e-mail at all, the important thing is that it is sent without delay. You need to calm down.

Something such as the following will do:

Dear Dr Stewart

I'm writing to ask for your advice on the submission of my dissertation on Environmental Policy in Modern Germany which I submitted via Turnitin on Friday, 4th June 2021.

At the time of my submission, I was an in-patient at Derriford Hospital and was trying very hard to submit my work on the due date. I was using a laptop which was supplied by the hospital.

I was terribly shocked to discover that the piece of work I submitted has been identified as plagiarism in a very substantial way. On investigation, I realised that the work I had submitted was, in fact, my research notes and not the dissertation, which was, of course, my own work.

I would be very grateful if I could discuss what has happened with you in the hope that my dissertation can still be submitted.

Please let me know when would be convenient. I would be very appreciative if I were able to speak to you tomorrow, as this matter has caused me great concern.

Kind regards

Gail Tilsley
I assume it will be very obvious that what you submitted was in no way intended to be a dissertation? So therefore it wasn’t plagiarism (like I nearly submitted my equity exam again for next exam, which would have 100% score but clearly an error.
This online submission of exams etc is so stressful, we don’t get any preview of the document submitted, just shown the file name so it’s easy to get confused, compared to before when you wrote on paper and handed it in. Even simply stuff like did I paste all the questions into the master document me checking over and over.

So this then comes down to a request for an extension made too late as you didn’t know you needed one. And can’t prove you have not changed the file since submission date easily (you could take a screen shot of the file properties but that doesn’t really prove that what you send them wasn’t altered.
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
It doesn't actually need to be a long e-mail at all, the important thing is that it is sent without delay. You need to calm down.

Something such as the following will do:

Dear Dr Stewart

I'm writing to ask for your advice on the submission of my dissertation on Environmental Policy in Modern Germany which I submitted via Turnitin on Friday, 4th June 2021.

At the time of my submission, I was an in-patient at Derriford Hospital and was trying very hard to submit my work on the due date. I was using a laptop which was supplied by the hospital.

I was terribly shocked to discover that the piece of work I submitted has been identified as plagiarism in a very substantial way. On investigation, I realised that the work I had submitted was, in fact, my research notes and not the dissertation, which was, of course, my own work.

I would be very grateful if I could discuss what has happened with you in the hope that my dissertation can still be submitted.

Please let me know when would be convenient. I would be very appreciative if I were able to speak to you tomorrow, as this matter has caused me great concern.

Kind regards

Gail Tilsley

Thank you so much for this. I was writing things in great detail but this is direct and straight to the point. Thank you so much
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine1973
I assume it will be very obvious that what you submitted was in no way intended to be a dissertation? So therefore it wasn’t plagiarism (like I nearly submitted my equity exam again for next exam, which would have 100% score but clearly an error.
This online submission of exams etc is so stressful, we don’t get any preview of the document submitted, just shown the file name so it’s easy to get confused, compared to before when you wrote on paper and handed it in. Even simply stuff like did I paste all the questions into the master document me checking over and over.

So this then comes down to a request for an extension made too late as you didn’t know you needed one. And can’t prove you have not changed the file since submission date easily (you could take a screen shot of the file properties but that doesn’t really prove that what you send them wasn’t altered.

It was just an essay worth 100% of the module and 15 credits. It wasn’t my actual dissertation, I managed to get the dissertation out of the way earlier - Thank God for that.
Reply 9
Thank you so much for this. I was writing things in great detail but this is direct and straight to the point. Thank you so much

What you can do is copy and paste what I wrote into Word and then go through changing things like 'Dissertation' to 'Essay' and the title, of course, plus the names and the dates.

Do it this evening, don't let this drag into the weekend and cause you more worry.
Original post by Kerzen
What you can do is copy and paste what I wrote into Word and then go through changing things like 'Dissertation' to 'Essay' and the title, of course, plus the names and the dates.

Do it this evening, don't let this drag into the weekend and cause you more worry.

Doing it right now! Thank you so so much
Just wanted to write and update..I managed to speak to my lecturer and explained my situation to him. He said the process is a bit complicated now as he has finished all the marking and handed everything back to the uni and just referred me to the student services.
I had already contacted the student services prior to this and a lady said she will look into it and get back to me..hopefully it’ll be good news coming this week. I hope I will be able to resubmit my assignment.
Reply 12
Just wanted to write and update..I managed to speak to my lecturer and explained my situation to him. He said the process is a bit complicated now as he has finished all the marking and handed everything back to the uni and just referred me to the student services.
I had already contacted the student services prior to this and a lady said she will look into it and get back to me..hopefully it’ll be good news coming this week. I hope I will be able to resubmit my assignment.

I'm wondering whether you should try to make an appointment with Student Counselling for this week.
Original post by Kerzen
I'm wondering whether you should try to make an appointment with Student Counselling for this week.

How would student counselling help?
You would have thought they would have immediately known this was a wrongly uploaded paper (like me nearly uploading an exam for the wrong subject) and therefore immediately raised it Adam an issue to whoever? Ie they couldn’t mark it at all?
Reply 15
How would student counselling help?

I think that they would be supportive, as you said that you had been in hospital for a month.

There may be some mitigating circumstances forms for you to complete at this stage and your Wellbeing Service would be well placed to help.

It may be that, as you were in hospital and trying to write up your work, a formal application for extensions will be the most appropriate route and you will find all the support you can get with that really helpful.
Original post by Catherine1973
You would have thought they would have immediately known this was a wrongly uploaded paper (like me nearly uploading an exam for the wrong subject) and therefore immediately raised it Adam an issue to whoever? Ie they couldn’t mark it at all?

Yeh unfortunately my lecturer thought it was my actual assignment and marked it and flagged it for plagiarism and escalated it to the plagiarism officer.
Original post by Kerzen
I think that they would be supportive, as you said that you had been in hospital for a month.

There may be some mitigating circumstances forms for you to complete at this stage and your Wellbeing Service would be well placed to help.

It may be that, as you were in hospital and trying to write up your work, a formal application for extensions will be the most appropriate route and you will find all the support you can get with that really helpful.

When I realised I got flagged for plagiarism and then realised I submitted the wrong doc I applied for mitigating..but it got rejected saying laptop issues are not grounds for mitigating..even though I clearly explained I was in hospital using a hospital laptop amd there was a lot going on around me..
Reply 18
When I realised I got flagged for plagiarism and then realised I submitted the wrong doc I applied for mitigating..but it got rejected saying laptop issues are not grounds for mitigating..even though I clearly explained I was in hospital using a hospital laptop amd there was a lot going on around me..

Definitely speak to Student Counselling/Student Wellbeing tomorrow.
Original post by Kerzen
Definitely speak to Student Counselling/Student Wellbeing tomorrow.

Yes already in touch with student support and the lady I spoke to said she would get back to me..

Latest