TheFlash_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am struggling to decide whether to stay at my current Sixth form or not mainly because they do not offer Further Maths. I heard that in order to have a better chance of getting into Cambridge for economics it's better to do Further Maths (a course my Sixth form doesn't offer).

The college I would like to attend has better facilities. But, the is quite far and I don't know if it would be better to stay put due to the fact that the time travelling could be spent studying. Additionally the costs would be high.
Last edited by TheFlash_; 1 week ago
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally I'm not going to advise you on anything as I don't think I haven't enough knowledge, but just wanted to mention that it is possible to self teach further maths and take the subject as a private candidate
TheFlash_
Rep:
?
(Original post by user342)
Personally I'm not going to advise you on anything as I don't think I haven't enough knowledge, but just wanted to mention that it is possible to self teach further maths and take the subject as a private candidate
I don't think I'm smart enough for that lol. Although I have decided to move schools as I got an email this morning from Cambridge saying I should consider doing further maths to strengthen my application.
user342
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheFlash_)
I don't think I'm smart enough for that lol. Although I have decided to move schools as I got an email this morning from Cambridge saying I should consider doing further maths to strengthen my application.
If you're going for cambridge, it's likely you're going to have to be smart enough, and have a reasonable amount of self motivation, it's just that having it in your school timetable and people teaching it to you will lower the workload a bit, and might give you a bit more time (but then if you took 3 subjects, you could also just do the fmaths in your frees, so not much difference).
I think there's a fair amount of successful applicants and current students etc that self teach fmaths. Anyway it's good that you've come to a final decision, hope you enjoy the new school and further maths, and best of luck!
TheFlash_
Rep:
?
(Original post by user342)
If you're going for cambridge, it's likely you're going to have to be smart enough, and have a reasonable amount of self motivation, it's just that having it in your school timetable and people teaching it to you will lower the workload a bit, and might give you a bit more time (but then if you took 3 subjects, you could also just do the fmaths in your frees, so not much difference).
I think there's a fair amount of successful applicants and current students etc that self teach fmaths. Anyway it's good that you've come to a final decision, hope you enjoy the new school and further maths, and best of luck!
You have A very good point 🤔 I guess I'm just tryna find an excuse for a quick decision at this point.
user342
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheFlash_)
You have A very good point 🤔 I guess I'm just tryna find an excuse for a quick decision at this point.
I wouldn't worry about it too much; if it's a decent school, and you work hard and enjoy your subjects, it should be alright. I think not having further maths as an a level could potentially set you back a bit as an applicant to a mathematical subject at Cambridge, or at least that was what I was told about engineering/physics.

However of course do consider the impact of fees, and maybe the commute, although I think you've already got those factors in mind
Last edited by user342; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (106)
40.46%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.52%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (31)
11.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (18)
6.87%

Watched Threads