The Student Room Group

What is expected of me for a first date?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Surnia
It's not stupid to only talk to one girl, but it is unfair to be seeing 2 girls at once. Are you going to be honest and tell them they are up against someone else as an option for a relationship? Why would you even be thinking of kissing on a first date with 2 different girls? You are getting them emotionally invested with plans to drop one; you don't like being burnt, so how do you think they'll feel?

Strongly disagree

Original post by Surnia
So how many dates is 'a few' and where's this 95% come from? I know people who are dating and they are exclusive from the off, not already having a Plan B in case a person doesn't fit the bill. You could be stringing along each of these girls for weeks trying to get to know them. And you're wanting to get emotionally involved and be kissing them before deciding which one to call your girlfriend?

Again strongly disagree. 1 date isn't stringing anyone along at all. Its just making sure that you don't waste your time. OP should go on 1 date with both girls and if both like him back after, then choose who he wants to pursue things with.
Original post by Anonymous
Yh i’m fairly confident with talking to them etc and having fun. Just the more intimate stuff i’m slightly nervous of

Yes, it will be though since you do not have experience.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Strongly disagree

Again strongly disagree. 1 date isn't stringing anyone along at all. Its just making sure that you don't waste your time. OP should go on 1 date with both girls and if both like him back after, then choose who he wants to pursue things with.

One date isn't enough to get to know which person you are compatible enough to pursue. It can be an artificial situation of both people on their best behaviour and not relaxed enough to show their true character.
Original post by Ackhnologia
Hi there.
Well a lot of things I guess. You are man so.
You will have to pick them up; show that you can protect them; you will have to entertain them ; show that you are a confident alpha; you will to initiate everything; will have to pass the famous **** tests; you will have to be the one to keep the conversations going; and also you will to be the one who pays for both, if you pay only for yourself you will not be considered as a gentleman and seen as stingy or misogynist.
That is it.

Damned if men do, damned if men don't :dontknow:
Reply 24
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Who said OP would be stringing them along for weeks? It’s only then it can get messy, but for now all he has done is wanting to go on a date with them.

Plus, by the first date, you should pretty much know that the person is for you.

Because one date is barely enough to get to know someone properly.
Original post by Surnia
One date isn't enough to get to know which person you are compatible enough to pursue. It can be an artificial situation of both people on their best behaviour and not relaxed enough to show their true character.

Original post by Surnia
Because one date is barely enough to get to know someone properly.

No one said it’s going to be one date. It can be two or maybe three.
Reply 26
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Of course not, that’s just called being disrespectful. If they ask you, sure. You can explain that they are, especially when they ask you on how you feel about them

You don’t have to kiss on every first date you go on. But even if you did, why not? You like this person and on a date with them. Similarly with the other person. You’re telling me that you haven’t kissed two people that you liked before?

Imo, there’s nothing wrong with this. With no exclusivity, there is no investment. If they want to catch feelings just from a first date, then it sounds more like their own problem.

I haven't been dating 2 people at the same time and kissing them both, and I was responding to what came from the OP about the intimate part and being expected to know what to do on the date.

There's loads of advice on here about not being someone's Plan B, so why should it be any different when dating?
Original post by Surnia
I haven't been dating 2 people at the same time and kissing them both, and I was responding to what came from the OP about the intimate part and being expected to know what to do on the date.

There's loads of advice on here about not being someone's Plan B, so why should it be any different when dating?

The intimate part - the exact same thing applies. You are physically attracted to them at that point.

Where?

I don’t really see the whole point on putting the faith in one person as a talking stage where there is no entitlement to that person. You can, sure, begin to start be loyal to them once you both become exclusive but until then you are free to do what you want as long as it’s not stepping regrettable boundaries you shouldn’t be.

You do need some faith in this other person not to have other options but there’s a difference between faith and loyalty in such that loyalty is not applicable when it comes to talking stages which makes it acceptable.
Original post by SlaveofAll
Damned if men do, damned if men don't :dontknow:

Guess it is what it is.
But men have to suffer in silence.
Guess it is what it is.
But men have to suffer in silence.

Tsk
Reply 30
Original post by Surnia
If I walk down a street I'm walking, so how is going on a date not dating? And no, it's not normal to do this. I met a guy at work who asked me out to dinner; he wasn't seeing anyone else and deciding if I was a better option, nor did he go out with others once we'd started spending more time together.

Original post by Surnia
It's not stupid to only talk to one girl, but it is unfair to be seeing 2 girls at once. Are you going to be honest and tell them they are up against someone else as an option for a relationship? Why would you even be thinking of kissing on a first date with 2 different girls? You are getting them emotionally invested with plans to drop one; you don't like being burnt, so how do you think they'll feel?

Personally I would keep my options open like the OP is doing purely because the vast majority of girls are doing the same thing these days. I would prefer it as well if 1 person only dated 1 person at a time ....but women don't tend to operate like that in my experience. I'm not being sexist, maybe men operate like that too ...but as I don't date men so I can only speak about women.

If I had met the girl at work however, I would probably hold off actively pursuing other girls whilst I was dating her. As I would view the girl at work to be a higher probability of things working out than some random off a dating site or a random i met in a club. ...but if this is like a random girl from pof or the pub then no.
Original post by Surnia
Not to be dating 2 girls at the same time!

The point of dating is to get to know someone better and you can't do that when you are dividing your time. Plus it's not fair on either girl to be leading one on when she's got certain expectations; that's emotional cheating. Make a decision.

What century do you live in? It's perfectly normal to be speaking to and dating more than one person at a time.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
What century do you live in? It's perfectly normal to be speaking to and dating more than one person at a time.

It's not normal - at least from both mine and others viewpoints expressed both on TSR and in public. If I personally found out a girl was dating another guy then I would be inclined to end relations, as I believe it is disrespectful. Obviously, speaking and dating are entirely different but I would expect some level of commitment and exclusivity when dating.
Original post by Baby_Stitch
It's not normal - at least from both mine and others viewpoints expressed both on TSR and in public. If I personally found out a girl was dating another guy then I would be inclined to end relations, as I believe it is disrespectful. Obviously, speaking and dating are entirely different but I would expect some level of commitment and exclusivity when dating.

If I found out a girl was talking to someone else, yes I would feel bad and sad but ultimately I will still have the fact that we are not together at the back of my mind. This kind of resets my negative thinking. There is no level of commitment, at all. Even in talking stages, there is no level of commitment. If you start being disrespected easily like that, you will have a HARD time trying to find someone. Toughen up a bit.

Until I say to them directly that I want to date them, or it becomes exclusive, this is like a moral compass that has been set up and anything from there on will be took to heart.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
Personally I would keep my options open like the OP is doing purely because the vast majority of girls are doing the same thing these days. I would prefer it as well if 1 person only dated 1 person at a time ....but women don't tend to operate like that in my experience. I'm not being sexist, maybe men operate like that too ...but as I don't date men so I can only speak about women.

If I had met the girl at work however, I would probably hold off actively pursuing other girls whilst I was dating her. As I would view the girl at work to be a higher probability of things working out than some random off a dating site or a random i met in a club. ...but if this is like a random girl from pof or the pub then no.

I think those people are confusing the dating stage ( try to know each other, meet up from time to time) with the "getting exclusive" stage. (which happens when the two parties involved decide to make it official and be committed to one another.)
Original post by SlaveofAll
Tsk

I am not good with abbreviations, I am a bit dumb.
Reply 36
To me personally when I date someone. I lose interest right away if they are:

- Have bad breath
- Jocking or laughing too much
- if they walk fast (to me this means they want to run away).
- If they don't offer to share the cost (if we are out for food).
Original post by dan1011
To me personally when I date someone. I lose interest right away if they are:

- Have bad breath
- Jocking or laughing too much
- if they walk fast (to me this means they want to run away).
- If they don't offer to share the cost (if we are out for food).

How did you get here lol
I am not good with abbreviations, I am a bit dumb.

It's an onomatopoeia.
Reply 39
Original post by xxx0xxxo
How did you get here lol

And who are you? 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending