The Student Room Group

Euro 2020 official thread - Kicks off tonight!

Poll

Who is winning Euro 2020

Hi everyone, :wavey:

We are just one more sleep away from the start of the Euro's.

Is football finally coming home, can Belgium make good of their golden generation, will Spain's Covid scare lead to their collapse, why are we still calling it Euro 2020. Discuss all the above and more in our official Euro 2020 thread!!!!

I've got the first round of fixtures below, and I will update with the scores as the results come in:

Friday 11 June
Group A: Turkey 0 vs 3 Italy FT

Saturday 12 June
Group A: Wales vs Switzerland (15:00, Baku)
Group B: Denmark vs Finland (18:00, Copenhagen) Belgium vs Russia (21:00, St Petersburg)

Sunday 13 June
Group D: England vs Croatia (15:00, London)
Group C: Austria vs North Macedonia (18:00, Bucharest) Netherlands vs Ukraine (21:00, Amsterdam)

Monday 14 June
Group D: Scotland vs Czech Republic (15:00, Glasgow)
Group E: Poland vs Slovakia (18:00, St Petersburg) Spain vs Sweden (21:00, Seville)

Tuesday 15 June
Group F: Hungary vs Portugal (18:00, Budapest) Group F: France vs Germany (21:00, Munich)

Let us know your predictions, your reactions, and please please please tell me that it's coming home. :yikes:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone, :wavey:

We are just one more sleep away from the start of the Euro's.

Is football finally coming home, can Belgium make good of their golden generation, will Spain's Covid scare lead to their collapse, why are we still calling it Euro 2020. Discuss all the above and more in our official Euro 2020 thread!!!!

I've got the first round of fixtures below, and I will update with the scores as the results come in:

Friday 11 June
Group A: Turkey vs Italy (21:00, Rome)

Saturday 12 June
Group A: Wales vs Switzerland (15:00, Baku)
Group B: Denmark vs Finland (18:00, Copenhagen) Belgium vs Russia (21:00, St Petersburg)

Sunday 13 June
Group D: England vs Croatia (15:00, London)
Group C: Austria vs North Macedonia (18:00, Bucharest) Netherlands vs Ukraine (21:00, Amsterdam)

Monday 14 June
Group D: Scotland vs Czech Republic (15:00, Glasgow)
Group E: Poland vs Slovakia (18:00, St Petersburg) Spain vs Sweden (21:00, Seville)

Tuesday 15 June
Group F: Hungary vs Portugal (18:00, Budapest) Group F: France vs Germany (21:00, Munich)

Let us know your predictions, your reactions, and please please please tell me that it's coming home.

i watching most of the games

also @BadBComeToTheNiz
Original post by Wise Goldie
i watching most of the games

also @BadBComeToTheNiz

I'm really hoping I get to watch all of them but I know life may get in the way. Who are you most looking forward to seeing?
I expect England to be knocked out by either France or Germany, and one of those two teams to make the final, perhaps with a surprise other finalist as has often happened. Doubt Wales or Scotland will even get out of their groups.
So excited!
I'm thinking France, and Portugal or Italy as runner up. I hope we'll be able to enjoy without any obstructions.
Original post by Evil Homer
I'm really hoping I get to watch all of them but I know life may get in the way. Who are you most looking forward to seeing?

england but im think we will only get to maybe quarter finals:smile:
I hope England win, but I really think Southgates England teams have always struggled to generate goals from open play and don’t see this changing.

Englands best chance is to keep it tight solid backline and try and play on the counter or from set pieces.

Good news is we have so many home games if we win the group and Englands record at Wembley is a huge advantage.
Reply 7
Turkey and Ukraine are my dark horses
Why aren't Portugal on the poll? They're stacked!

France are my favourites though.

Denmark as dark horses.
Reply 9
It's (not) coming home!
Original post by chazwomaq
Why aren't Portugal on the poll? They're stacked!

France are my favourites though.

Denmark as dark horses.

Oh dear what a mistake!

I looked at the odds to pick the top 7 favourites, that's my bad!
Original post by Wozaller
It's (not) coming home!

Nooo let's have some positivity! :lol:
My top favorite is the world champion France. Italy is my secret favorite, Germany is capable of doing everything, both an elimination in group stage and the victory and in between.

Original post by Wozaller
It's (not) coming home!

Not, I say!
Hoping for either France or Portugal to win it. Can’t see any of the British nations winning it cause they’re all dreadful, and yes that includes England too.
Great to have a thread at last!

Really hyped for the tournament in general.. Not so much for England. The players are great but the manager is average and the route to the final really isn't favourable. Best case scenario seems to be topping the group then hoping to get Germany in the R16 at wembley. At least Germany look beatable.. Portugal or France would just be awful. Never thought that the kindest route would be through Germany, but France and Portugal just a league above.

With the way the draw works, Scotland could easily come 3rd in the group and end up with a much more easy route to the quarter finals than England topping the group.
(edited 2 years ago)
Obligatory songs...

(and a bonus

Spoiler

Ignoring how cringy and meme-y it's become, 3 lions is still the greatest football song ever written.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Ignoring how cringy and meme-y it's become, 3 lions is still the greatest football song ever written.

A song that perfectly reflects the false belief England fans get just before a tournament starts, will be blasting it round the house loudly today!
Tonight's the night, our opening game of Euro 2020: Italy vs Turkey

Predications below please! Loads of people have Italy as the dark horse of the tournament, but Turkey are a fantastic side and it should make a great opener.
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's France's tournament to lose. Belgium are maybe second favourites, although Italy are also looking good.

My predictions for England's Group games:

England vs Croatia = 1-1

England vs Scotland = 2-1 (uncomfortable win as Scotland will push us hard)

England vs Czechia = 2-0

I do think that, if my predictions above come true, we stand a chance against Germany as they're not in the greatest form. Against France, I unfortunately can't see us winning but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Having Croatia as our first game really will be a decent test - if we win it even semi comfortably, we could be in for a really great tournament.

Quick Reply

Latest