Will I fail my 3rd year final management nursing placement?

Watch this thread
studentjay19
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently on my final management nursing placement. Today I was about to administer a contraceptive injection into a buttock when a nurse suddenly stopped me. She pointed out the correct injection site (upper outer quadrant) as I was going to give the injection in a slightly lower area, underneath the quadrant. After the patient left she mentioned this could have been dangerous, I am a third year student and I should know this. I told her I have been administering many contraceptive injections under the supervision of the other 2 nurses within the 8 weeks that I have been here. Both of them have never questioned my injection technique before. She seemed concerned about this and I believe she will inevitably report this incident to my mentor.

My mentor has been intending to print off an IM injection competency form since I first started as she said she would have to assess my technique before giving any injections. However I have been giving many injections under the supervision of other nurses and herself, despite reminding her about this.

I have passed my intermediate interview several weeks ago however this incident has made me feel very anxious about placement and has affected my self-confidence. I am yet to achieve my medicines practice standard (safely administers medicines) however I am reluctant this is going to get signed off as achieved.

I would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice anyone has on this matter please. Do you think I am going to fail placement?
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Yes this particular nurse may well "report" it to your mentor - but please remember that this is the first and only occasion that this has been an issue. Just remember that everyone's anatomy is marginally different.
This one incident does not mean you will fail placement. Talk to your mentor.
Best wishes, a registered nurse and Practice Assessor/mentor.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Yes this particular nurse may well "report" it to your mentor - but please remember that this is the first and only occasion that this has been an issue. Just remember that everyone's anatomy is marginally different.
This one incident does not mean you will fail placement. Talk to your mentor.
Best wishes, a registered nurse and Practice Assessor/mentor.
(Original post by studentjay19)
I am currently on my final management nursing placement. Today I was about to administer a contraceptive injection into a buttock when a nurse suddenly stopped me. She pointed out the correct injection site (upper outer quadrant) as I was going to give the injection in a slightly lower area, underneath the quadrant. After the patient left she mentioned this could have been dangerous, I am a third year student and I should know this. I told her I have been administering many contraceptive injections under the supervision of the other 2 nurses within the 8 weeks that I have been here. Both of them have never questioned my injection technique before. She seemed concerned about this and I believe she will inevitably report this incident to my mentor.

My mentor has been intending to print off an IM injection competency form since I first started as she said she would have to assess my technique before giving any injections. However I have been giving many injections under the supervision of other nurses and herself, despite reminding her about this.

I have passed my intermediate interview several weeks ago however this incident has made me feel very anxious about placement and has affected my self-confidence. I am yet to achieve my medicines practice standard (safely administers medicines) however I am reluctant this is going to get signed off as achieved.

I would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice anyone has on this matter please. Do you think I am going to fail placement?
I would intend to agree with what Emily_B said to you on this.
First thing is to talk things over with your mentor/ supervisor and see what they say on it.
If it was only once then it should be fine, yes Emily said it that everybody anatomy is slightly different by margins.

I'm registered midwife and I think Emily would say that we all probably did marginal things in placements but we didn't fail them because of it.

You can't be sure you'll fail this placement as you not yet discussed this over with your mentor / supervisor and till then stay positive .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (120)
40.54%
They're exactly what I expected (72)
24.32%