m.lav
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am a Psychology graduate who is keen to pursue a career in Counselling Psychology. However, I don't want to have to do the traditional doctorate required for this. Instead, I would rather secure a paid trainee position and get into the profession that way. I know the NHS used to have trainee Counselling Psychologist positions, along with Clinical, Forensic etc. Are these still a thing? I know Trainee Clinical positions are still available. I am doing a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy this September before planning to move into Counselling Psychology. Can anyone shed light on whether paid trainee positions are still going?

'𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘕𝘏𝘚 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘺𝘱𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘦 𝘰𝘯 𝘣𝘢𝘯𝘥 6 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘢 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 (𝘈𝘧𝘊) 𝘗𝘢𝘺 𝘙𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴, 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 £30,401 𝘵𝘰 £37,267.'

If not, are there other ways I can become a Counselling Psychologist without doing a doctorate? I know there is the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP), but again it still takes 3 years to complete and is a lot of work.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m.lav)
Hi, I am a Psychology graduate who is keen to pursue a career in Counselling Psychology. However, I don't want to have to do the traditional doctorate required for this. Instead, I would rather secure a paid trainee position and get into the profession that way. I know the NHS used to have trainee Counselling Psychologist positions, along with Clinical, Forensic etc. Are these still a thing? I know Trainee Clinical positions are still available. I am doing a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy this September before planning to move into Counselling Psychology. Can anyone shed light on whether paid trainee positions are still going?

'𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘕𝘏𝘚 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘺𝘱𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘦 𝘰𝘯 𝘣𝘢𝘯𝘥 6 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘢 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 (𝘈𝘧𝘊) 𝘗𝘢𝘺 𝘙𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴, 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 £30,401 𝘵𝘰 £37,267.'

If not, are there other ways I can become a Counselling Psychologist without doing a doctorate? I know there is the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP), but again it still takes 3 years to complete and is a lot of work.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Unfortunately, as it stands, the two routes you mentioned are the only way to become a qualified Counselling Psychologist.

I am also looking at training as a Counselling Psychologist, and it is disappointing that training for this does not receive the same funding as Clinical Psychologist training, considering many places advertise "Clinical/ Counselling Psychologist" roles.

I have also heard that gaining placements on the QCoP route can be very difficult compared to doing a professional doctorate program. Apparently that is because placements prefer to take trainees where they know the level of supervision & academic training is consistent on an established program.

Ultimately, if you want to become a Counselling Psychologist, you will be looking at that minimum 3-year training period and, at the moment, no funding for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed