?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Man speaks the truth

https://youtu.be/9YCBmHZEHF4
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
interesting, thanks for sharing

well yes i agree that BLM should be talking about crime if they are not. i don't follow the movement and afaik it only really takes action when a significant event occurs and so they protest (but i don't(!) know that as fact or if it just looks that way because that's the only time it makes the news. and, from general observation seems like the average person doesn't know either. it's perfectly possible tho there are sectors of BLM that contribute in other ways, such as charities or social work, and it's entirely possible that BLM is misrepresented and generalised in the media, just like feminism is and certain religious groups).

but i disagree with the person in the video on not talking about the causes of crime in terms of absent fathers, poverty and growing up in bad neighbourhoods; he's living a pipe dream if he thinks BLM and the government shouldn't look at the cause of crime. lack of good role models, parents who enforce rules, encourage discipline and hard work, and living in poverty in a dangerous community with bad friends has always been a contributing factor in the cause of crime. when you're surrounded by it, it influences you're perception of yourself and society in general (maybe you have no hope and think society doesn't care about you except your criminal friends). i get what the man is saying that there are no excuses for criminal behaviour indeed - but there are reasons(!) for it that must be addressed. it makes sense to look at preventative measures instead of just hoping these kids who grow up in tough neighbourhoods will magically come to a better conclusion all by themselves. it hasn't worked so far.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because heaven forbid the truth gets in the way of their ‘oppression.’
hotpud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
Man speaks the truth

https://youtu.be/9YCBmHZEHF4
Why should they talk about crime?

BLM are putting forward one really clear message - that if you are black, you are a second class citizen in most Western countries and this is not right. That is it. They are not some sort of political organisation that all black people sign up to at birth. They don't speak for all black people. They are not accountable for all black people. Yet some seem to think that since they are black standing up for black people they are somehow accountable for everyone who is black and what they do. If anything, the idea that "Hey BLM, you are a black organisation - sort your people out" is a thing is verging on the edge of a very uncomfortable place to be.

It's like blaming the WI for Myra Hindley.
Last edited by hotpud; 1 week ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hotpud)
Why should they talk about crime?

BLM are putting forward one really clear message - that if you are black, you are a second class citizen in most Western countries and this is not right. That is it. They are not some sort of political organisation that all black people sign up to at birth. They don't speak for all black people. They are not accountable for all black people. Yet some seem to think that since they are black standing up for black people they are somehow accountable for everyone who is black and what they do. If anything, the idea that "Hey BLM, you are a black organisation - sort your people out" is a thing is verging on the edge of a very uncomfortable place to be.

It's like blaming the WI for Myra Hindley.
I don’t find it uncomfortable at all. Most of the issues that black communities face are due to black communities and some of the beliefs that are indoctrinated within such as gang culture and knife crime. That’s why we end up with statistics like the above that I’ve posted. You have to have both sides of the argument here.
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 1 week ago
hotpud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
I don’t find it uncomfortable at all. Most of the issues that black communities face are due to black communities and some of the beliefs that are indoctrinated within such as gang culture and knife crime. That’s why we end up with statistics like the above that I’ve posted. You have to have both sides of the argument here.
Agreed. And then there is the stuff like if you are black you are more likely to be stopped and searched, live an area of deprivation and receive poor education, not get the same opportunities as white people due to passive discrimination and so on. So yes, you are quite right. Let us as white people blame the black people for their own misfortune and not having the incite into having genetics that gave them white skin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads