The Student Room Group

How can we support LGBTQ+ communities internationally?

Hi all! As most of you know, June is Pride month for the LGBTQ+ community :pride:

Whilst things are far from ideal for the community in the UK, unfortunately in many countries being LGBTQ+ can be even more difficult.

A few ideas from myself and @shadowdweller:

Raise awareness of the inequalities in other countries. This could be sharing this information on social media.

Sign petitions to support equality for LGBTQ+ rights internationally

Donate to charities that support equality internationally

You may be able to write to your local MP to raise concerns with how the LGBTQ+ community are treated in many countries

A suggested website for signing petitions and looking for charities to donate: https://allout.org/en

So what is your advice for supporting the LGBTQ+ community internationally?
I do think signing petitions and talking to your MPs are great because it's directly challenging people in power to step up!
The online community is also a space for the LGBTQ+ community to express themselves (as there's more anonymity, people that aren't out yet are able to feel more free) so I think being supportive and PMing on online spaces to check in could go a long way. :yep:
Original post by RazzzBerries
I do think signing petitions and talking to your MPs are great because it's directly challenging people in power to step up!
The online community is also a space for the LGBTQ+ community to express themselves (as there's more anonymity, people that aren't out yet are able to feel more free) so I think being supportive and PMing on online spaces to check in could go a long way. :yep:

Completely agree :yep:
Reply 3
Dont totally agree with the original list, its already fairly common knowledge that LGBT people arent treated well in other countries- if an MP, or anyone really whos already aware, doesnt already care, its unlikely a single letter isnt going to change that ( or even a handful.. ). Random petitions are generally a waste of time too. Obviously not everyone can donate money but that seems to be the most helpful on the larger scale as it allows groups and charities who are actually in those areas to continue the work they're doing. Volunteering with some of these groups is also great.
I like what razzzberries said too about just offering support to individuals who might need it especially online, it can have a huge impact even if its just in one person's life!
Original post by Foxehh
Dont totally agree with the original list, its already fairly common knowledge that LGBT people arent treated well in other countries- if an MP, or anyone really whos already aware, doesnt already care, its unlikely a single letter isnt going to change that ( or even a handful.. ). Random petitions are generally a waste of time too. Obviously not everyone can donate money but that seems to be the most helpful on the larger scale as it allows groups and charities who are actually in those areas to continue the work they're doing. Volunteering with some of these groups is also great.
I like what razzzberries said too about just offering support to individuals who might need it especially online, it can have a huge impact even if its just in one person's life!

That's completely fair - they are just some ideas from the two of us who are in no way any sort of experts and are trying to educate ourselves on the matter (hence the thread asking for ideas!) :smile: I think our thought behind it is that these small things can add up and result in a change, much more likely than taking no action anyway! I agree too, supporting people online can be extremely helpful :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending