Do I have a point with this job situation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I work for the nhs in a therapy job covering inpatient wards so have already been at risk of covid over the past year

Now that gyms are reopening my team want to support community patients by facilitating gym sessions in the local gym where the public go, they want me to do it once per week.

Ive always been hyper vigilant about covid though and gyms are one thing I’ve avoided goi g back to in my personal life, I’m still doing outdoor workouts.

I just feel I’m already at risk in my current job without the added risk of attending a public gym with patients too. However to express my concerns with my team would be seen as uncool and selfish.

Just wanted advice..
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I work for the nhs in a therapy job covering inpatient wards so have already been at risk of covid over the past year

Now that gyms are reopening my team want to support community patients by facilitating gym sessions in the local gym where the public go, they want me to do it once per week.

Ive always been hyper vigilant about covid though and gyms are one thing I’ve avoided goi g back to in my personal life, I’m still doing outdoor workouts.

I just feel I’m already at risk in my current job without the added risk of attending a public gym with patients too. However to express my concerns with my team would be seen as uncool and selfish.

Just wanted advice..
Have you had both vaccinations?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Have you had both vaccinations?
Yea but that only reassured me partly. I’d just like to limit my exposure where able. We can’t minimise all risk but we can limit
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What does your contract/Terms of Reference say?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
What does your contract/Terms of Reference say?
I don’t know 😄 It’s not been updated though to reflect covid I know that
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are already at risk, how is this any different?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yea but that only reassured me partly. I’d just like to limit my exposure where able. We can’t minimise all risk but we can limit
But you are now in the realms of personal choice, and as someone else has pointed out, you are already similarly exposed in another area of your work. You could self-isolate forever, that would limit it - but presumably that's not what you want to do? It would be hard to make a rational case for substantially different risks, given you are double vaccinated.

You probably don't have a case to make, you are now imposing your personal standards/preferences, rather than science and accepted practice, so you have to make your own career decisions.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It doesn't sound like you have a solid reason beyond not wanting to. And if you simply aren't willing to do your duties you aren't fit for the job.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your fear is disproportionate to the risk COVID actually posses to you.
You work in a hospital, you are probably frequently exposed to diseases that would be far more serious if you where to catch them.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You have had both vaccinations. The risk is as minimal as it is ever going to be. The risk is likely no higher than it would be at work anyway. You could always ask for full PPE if you still felt at risk.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
You have had both vaccinations. The risk is as minimal as it is ever going to be. The risk is likely no higher than it would be at work anyway. You could always ask for full PPE if you still felt at risk.
I guess so though I work on mental health wards where the same staff are comming/going (it’s not medical) so it’s classed as one household (according to management).

We take ownership of the gym at work(cleaning everything/before after) we know exactly who has used the equipment so I just thought that being in a public gym after the general public have used it there’s a lot less control etc.

Plus it’s just additional exposure picking up equipment etc which people have likely only partially wiped
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
It doesn't sound like you have a solid reason beyond not wanting to. And if you simply aren't willing to do your duties you aren't fit for the job.
Not fit for the job after a year and half of exposure at work, were you at home.. 😄 It’s probably not a reasonable viewpoint in the eyes of management etc but it makes sense to me. It’s just additional exposure to what I’m already exposed to at work

My risk might be minimal but if I’m going from the hospital-gym and back in the same day I’m increasing the risk of transferring it to the public too. Meh I don’t know what I’m worried about I’m fairly young/healthy Ive tried to make a point but if people don’t care can’t help that.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not fit for the job after a year and half of exposure at work, were you at home.. 😄 It’s probably not a reasonable viewpoint in the eyes of management etc but it makes sense to me. It’s just additional exposure to what I’m already exposed to at work

My risk might be minimal but if I’m going from the hospital-gym and back in the same day I’m increasing the risk of transferring it to the public too. Meh I don’t know what I’m worried about I’m fairly young/healthy Ive tried to make a point but if people don’t care can’t help that.
Doesn't matter what I was doing, if you know what the duties of your job are and you're not willing to do them it's obvious there's a problem coming. In honesty unless you have a very specific fact backed objection to make to management they likely won't be interested in your opinion of what they're asking.

If you've got it into your head that everything is dangerous and you shouldn't go anywhere that isn't essential that's a bit grim esp for patients depending on you. You come across a bit germaphobic on the irrational side and I can totally get why as it's been a wild time, but you should know it sounds a bit OTT as if you would never be happy with the 'what if's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (192)
43.54%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.34%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.94%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.67%

Watched Threads