The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nay.

Too distracting. I always end up humming the tune and then because I'm concentrating on the song I can't concentrate on my work.

Each to their own though - some people find music helps them focus better.
Reply 2
Nay. It's just a needless distraction when you're trying to do past papers.
Reply 3
word based subjects like english nay!
lyrics become jumbled with your thoughts.
nay. i love music, but sadly it just doesn't work for me :frown: listening to music while "studying" just makes me procrastinate :s-smilie: ugh.
Reply 5
Yay. It helps me organise my thoughts
Only if it's instrumental and not too complex, otherwise I get distracted by the vocals or interesting melodies...
No, because I like music too much. I can't really leave something as 'background music', I'm always actively listening to the music. I can relax to music, but can't utterly cut myself off from it to the extent that I could engage my brain sufficiently in another activity.

I find a good method of relaxing is listening to a complex, instrumental piece of music and listening to it really closely, picking out all the individual melodies and instruments etc.
Yay :smile:
It makes it all more bearable!
Reply 9
Tombola
Just curious how others study.

I like some level of noise although sometimes I sort of wonder if studying would better otherwise :p:

It varies. I always find that it's better to put the radio on as opposed to plating my favourite CD. The radio isn't half as clear so I don't start humming along to it. A little background noise helps me zone into my work better. Too much noise is worse than no noise though.
Yay.

Pretty much always "Constant Country KRS" online radio.
No never, maybe just a beat but lyrics mess me up completely.
Reply 12
Yay. Generally Classical or things like Moby. It helps me ignore everything else that's happening around me.
Nay, I end up listening to the music, and then forget about my work.
I, also, don't see how people can read and listen to music at the same time. I can't concentrate on the book, then. :no:
Reply 14
Yay. I honestly hate working in silence.
Reply 15
For me... I find that listening to music helps remove my drifting thoughts. It also keeps me slightly more attentive.
Reply 16
Yay. It can be distracting but you just have to be strict and keep it under control. I often find that the music keeps me motivated.
Well, when im revising for music.
I listen to the pieces im reading about or of the composer im reading on.

But that is different i guess...

But generaly, no.
yeh, distractions are fun, they break up the revision.
Reply 19
If you love music like me you get into it fully so no. Maybe just some casual lift music tho

Latest

Trending

Trending