Applying To University After a Gap Year...

Watch
WolfgangPauli
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help from anyone who knows how to answer my question. Essentially, I've just finished year 13, I'm awaiting my results and I have firmed my place at Uni. of Nottingham on the condition that I get AAA/ABB.

I'll probably get A*AA or something, so I am not worried about potentially not getting in, but I don't want to go... Back then when I applied, I was so sure of my decision, but I had NOT done my research and now I know that it's definitely NOT the place that I would like to spend the next 4 years at.

So, let's say I call up the university and somehow convince them to release me, even though I firmed the offer back in March, thus leaving me with no university offers and I'd have to reapply next year. What is the process like for an 18-19 year old, who does not attend a school and already has their A Level grades?

I really want to go to Uni. of Manchester, and I know that I'll have the grades for the course, but how does the process work? Do I have a smaller chance of getting in? I'd really appreciate someone helping out, thanks.
..M..
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by WolfgangPauli)
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help from anyone who knows how to answer my question. Essentially, I've just finished year 13, I'm awaiting my results and I have firmed my place at Uni. of Nottingham on the condition that I get AAA/ABB.

I'll probably get A*AA or something, so I am not worried about potentially not getting in, but I don't want to go... Back then when I applied, I was so sure of my decision, but I had NOT done my research and now I know that it's definitely NOT the place that I would like to spend the next 4 years at.

So, let's say I call up the university and somehow convince them to release me, even though I firmed the offer back in March, thus leaving me with no university offers and I'd have to reapply next year. What is the process like for an 18-19 year old, who does not attend a school and already has their A Level grades?

I really want to go to Uni. of Manchester, and I know that I'll have the grades for the course, but how does the process work? Do I have a smaller chance of getting in? I'd really appreciate someone helping out, thanks.
Sorry I can’t offer much help on the topic, but I’d guess that if you made good use of your gap year (eg get work experience/do courses in your given subject area) then you could actually end up with a greater chance of getting into Manchester, given that it will be more competitive and contain much more enrichment than people who have come straight out of A Levels and therefore haven’t had the opportunity to do so So if you didn’t do anything productive to aid your application during the gap year it may look bad to the uni. Good luck for next year whatever you decide to do!!!
Wring
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by WolfgangPauli)

Hey!

Definitely contact the University sooner rather than later and let them know that you want to withdraw - you could give a reason such as financial hardship and don't forget to contact student finance too when they do let you withdraw.

You may still be able to apply to Manchester, contact them and find out if the course you want to do has filled up (there's no harm in trying) if it's simply because you've changed your mind on Nottingham.

With regards to applying next year, there's absolutely no worry. You're a paying customer so they really want you to attend and don't really care what you've been up to. If you appear enthusiastic in your personal statement you shouldn't have anything to worry about and it's unlikely that you'll be less favourable just because you haven't gone straight from a-levels to University, especially if you have the grades. Plenty of people take gap years!

If you don't mind me asking, why is Nottingham not somewhere you'd like to be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
28.93%
No (226)
71.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise