The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What should I do: Allocated to an unsuitable college thanks to my agent

Hi, I am an internationonal student from HK. This is my first time posting something here so hope I have done it in the right way.

I applied UCAS through an agent and she has never told me that I can state my preference of college while applying UCAS. The only things I'd ask for in a college are having an ensuite and to be self-catered. However, both are not in the college I am allocated. I know that a college is far more than just an accomodation but I will be really concerned if my college does not meet the above two criteria.

So far, I have two unconditional offer from Durham University and University of Leeds. I prefer Durham but if the college is such unsuitable for me, should I confirm Leeds instead? But choosing an uni because of the agent's fault but not fully because I think I belong to that uni is just so sad.

If I still wanna pick Durham, is the chance of transferring to a self-catered college with ensuite big?

Please tell me what I can do and if anyone has faced that before? Thank you so much for reading till here.
Contact the uni and see if they can move you
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It might not be the agent's fault. Durham is notorious for asking for preferences then completely ignoring them. The only possible solution is to talk to the college/ uni directly. International students are worth a lot to the uni, so they may be more accommodating.
That said, a big part of the college experience at Durham is through college meals and 'formals' etc - are you sure you want to go self-catered?
IIRC there aren't that many self-catered colleges there anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
Contact the uni and see if they can move you

Thanks for replying! I have emailed them already. Hope it will work.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexSilver
It might not be the agent's fault. Durham is notorious for asking for preferences then completely ignoring them. The only possible solution is to talk to the college/ uni directly. International students are worth a lot to the uni, so they may be more accommodating.
That said, a big part of the college experience at Durham is through college meals and 'formals' etc - are you sure you want to go self-catered?
IIRC there aren't that many self-catered colleges there anyway?

Thanks for replying!

I said it was the agent's fault because she had never discussed that with me and I didn't even know that I can state my preference. I understand that even if I stated, I might not be allocated there tho.

And I am quite sure that I wanna go self-catered coz I wanna have asian food maybe half my time there and im afraid that I may not be used to the food provided. I just feel more secured and free(?) going self-catered.

And yea there are only four colleges that are completely self-catered and they have formals too!
I don't think you're gonna like Durham - go to Leeds!
Reply 6
I don't think you're gonna like Durham - go to Leeds!

Can you tell me more about that? Is it because of the culture, atmosphere, or the college?
Hi, which college did they allocated to you? I know some colleges are catered but have the possibility to use a full kitchen and also have some double/single en-suite room
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, which college did they allocated to you? I know some colleges are catered but have the possibility to use a full kitchen and also have some double/single en-suite room

Hi, thanks for replying! It's St Hild and St Bede.
Can you tell me more about that? Is it because of the culture, atmosphere, or the college?

A lot of Durham is old buildings with less than pristine facilities. Catered colleges are the predominant model and considered part of the charm.

You sound like you have very specific, particular needs about which you are inflexible. There are only a couple of modern colleges which might meet them (and personally I think they are the 'least Durham' colleges). There's a high chance you won't get a self-catered, ensuite place, but you won't know that for sure until it's too late.
Hi, thanks for replying! It's St Hild and St Bede.

Unfortunately, I never checked the facilities at hild babe you can try to search online if they have kitchens and es-suite rooms and how common is to get them
A lot of Durham is old buildings with less than pristine facilities. Catered colleges are the predominant model and considered part of the charm.

You sound like you have very specific, particular needs about which you are inflexible. There are only a couple of modern colleges which might meet them (and personally I think they are the 'least Durham' colleges). There's a high chance you won't get a self-catered, ensuite place, but you won't know that for sure until it's too late.

Ic... I'll take that into consideration.
Unfortunately, I never checked the facilities at hild babe you can try to search online if they have kitchens and es-suite rooms and how common is to get them

Ok, I'll work on that.
Well I’m from hk as well and my agent tell me nothing about choosing the college. I don’t think it’s her responsibility. Durham did actually sent lots of email about allocation of college and they also gave a online form, you don’t have to apply your college through your agent.
Well I’m from hk as well and my agent tell me nothing about choosing the college. I don’t think it’s her responsibility. Durham did actually sent lots of email about allocation of college and they also gave a online form, you don’t have to apply your college through your agent.

Hi, thanks for replying!
I check my mailbox almost everyday but i just didn’t receive any of those emails. My agent left her working email as the contact email for ucas so maybe that’s why.
Or maybe it’s because i applied after February?
Hi, I am an internationonal student from HK. This is my first time posting something here so hope I have done it in the right way.

I applied UCAS through an agent and she has never told me that I can state my preference of college while applying UCAS. The only things I'd ask for in a college are having an ensuite and to be self-catered. However, both are not in the college I am allocated. I know that a college is far more than just an accomodation but I will be really concerned if my college does not meet the above two criteria.

So far, I have two unconditional offer from Durham University and University of Leeds. I prefer Durham but if the college is such unsuitable for me, should I confirm Leeds instead? But choosing an uni because of the agent's fault but not fully because I think I belong to that uni is just so sad.

If I still wanna pick Durham, is the chance of transferring to a self-catered college with ensuite big?

Please tell me what I can do and if anyone has faced that before? Thank you so much for reading till here.

Get in touch with us to discuss your requirements and we will be able to see if there is a way to change your allocation. Please be reassured though that whichever college you end up in will be a great choice and will offer a wide range of opportunities and experiences. There are 17 colleges at Durham all with different accommodation types and catering options. Our catered colleges are able to accommodate a wide range of dietary requirements as well so just get in touch directly and we will be able to offer you some advice and reassurance.

Quick Reply

Latest