Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Girton College - Far away. Apply here if you like the course but don't want to live in Cambridge (it was built far out as a womens' college so they wouldn't be distracted by the men).
    Technically it was so the men wouldn't be distracted by the women.

And Clare is lovely, even if you don't like me, don't worry about that because I won't be living there by the time anyone thinking of applying next year arrives!

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, Nicky! If people are interested in some feedback on different colleges or would like to hear about some people's interview experience, The tndependent Oxbridge Admissions page (http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/sprofiles.asp) has lots of write-ups from applicants both successful and otherwise, detailing what their interviews were like for different colleges.

BTW Helen, you're very friendly and helpful so people who don't like you clearly have issues. And what would TSR be without you?!

ReputationRep:
    someone i know applied to oxford and he had 6 A's at AS and 2 B's and he didn't get in - im not implying oxford and cambridge are the same- merely that grades count count for everything

ReputationRep:
    The way Emmanuel was described pleases me! I'd like to see Jesus bigged up a bit more, it's a great college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I'd like to see Jesus bigged up a bit more, it's a great college!
    I'll second that

ReputationRep:
    The LNAt isn't being used to deselect people for interview, this year they didn't look at it at all until they'd made their descisions, then compared LNAT scores with who they had and hadn't chosen. As it's only in its first year they don't know if it's actually a good indicator yet! Dunno when or if this is likely to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    BTW Helen, you're very friendly and helpful so people who don't like you clearly have issues. And what would TSR be without you?!
    Hehe, don't worry, I wasn't sad because Jacob didn't want to live near me (each to their own :p: ). I was sad because in a year and a half, when any current prospective applicants would be arriving, I won't be here! Not in the city centre, at any rate. How scary.

ReputationRep:
    Girton College - Far away. Apply here if you like the course but don't want to live in Cambridge (it was built far out as a womens' college so they wouldn't be distracted by the men).
    And you'll also find the inscrutable Pol here too, oh and me trying to hide from him when he's wandering the halls with some form of alcohol he wants me to try.

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    The LNAt isn't being used to deselect people for interview, this year they didn't look at it at all until they'd made their descisions, then compared LNAT scores with who they had and hadn't chosen. As it's only in its first year they don't know if it's actually a good indicator yet! Dunno when or if this is likely to change.
    Thanks! Have edited the front page accordingly!

I don't want to not be here when this next lot come up Have SO got to get onto a PhD...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that people are given medicine interviews based on the BMAT either, only the-other-place does, IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity Hall - Nice and small. Good summer event apparently. Rooms are meant to be a bit rubbish. Uber-cool because their three punts are called zippy, bungle and george

MB
    Actually the 3 punts are no longer in existence- think that one sunk and the others had to be taken off the river cos they were in such a bad state, we must be the only river college with none of our own punts. so we have to borrow Trinity's. but our punts did have cool names!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    OK, I'm going to try to head off the torrent of threads that should shortly be appearing from people unsure about whether or not to apply to Cambridge Firstly, there is a very informative and useful Oxbridge FAQ that might be worth looking at, as some of the more general and common questions will probably be answered there. However I know everyone's situation is different so for Cambridge-specific queries and those relating directly to individual circumstances, please post here! This should help prevent people's queries from getting lost and will help current students to find them amidst the general clutter of this forum. It also prevents queries from adding to the clutter so we can find our other threads too

A few points to start us off:

Interviews. To all intents and purposes Cambridge interviews everyone. There are some exceptions: if you have a very poor academic record and are predicted low A level grades, for example Cs and below at A2 (in which case, even if you got an offer you'd be unlikely to make it; even under the Special Access Scheme the offers are only lowered by a grade, so the lowest offer you could possibly expect would be ABB, and this is very rare!*); if you are an overseas student (in which case it might be impossible for you to get to interview; you may have an interview in your country, a phone interview or be made an offer without one); or possibly if you're a medic or a lawyer (there are preliminary tests (BMAT & LNAT) for these due to the very high number of applications; a medic and/or lawyer will hopefully confim the situation for me here, but as I understand it, if you do poorly on these you may not be called to interview**). If you don't fit these criteria, you'll have an interview!

The interview is not the be-all and end-all; it is simply a part of the selection process. If you have a strong academic record and reference, you can still get an offer even after an atrocious interview (some of us know people who have!). And if you have a poorer academic record, a good interview can sometimes swing it for you.

You don't need straight A*s at GCSE! There are people here with mainly Cs at GCSE. So if you're keen and predicted good grades at A level, give it a shot! The only thing you have to lose is one application out of six on your UCAS form; it's got to be worth a try! Otherwise you may spend the next few years wondering... could I have got in if I'd tried...?

One final common query that springs to mind is: will I fit in here? I'd just like to clarify that Cambridge isn't, in fact, the haunt of purely white public school boys! Nor are there places reserved for Etonians, and nobody cares what school you went to when you're here There are so many people of different types here that even if you don't like everyone in your college, through the many societies you are bound to find someone you get on really well with! If you don't you have my permission to come and find me and force my hat down my throat (though I might have to buy one first!) So yes, you will fit in!

Please, anybody with questions do post away

*I'm excluding matriculation offers (EE), as these are only made by Christ's nowadays and, as I understand it, are given to only the very top flight of their applicants

** I'm editing this on the first page to make sure it doesn't scare anyone: I'm reliably informed that the LNAT is not yet being used for selection, they're still trialling it. Law students, breathe easy
    very good advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    Corrections:

-about equal numbers of direct applicants and poolies
    -SECOND longest corridoor in Europe (Versailles has a longer one)
    -you're going nowhere near my corridoor matey

ooo and it's right across the road from the sidgwick site (even closer than Selwyn)

:bootyshak
    Pah! I contest that! We are as near if not nearer. theres a back entrance from selwyn that comes out right opposite the law faculty :p:

and Magdalene: last college to admit women! has a reputation for drunkenness

ReputationRep:

do you know your LNAT score then?

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

We don't care about all you people applying.. We are already in and you lot can go be all worried someplace else..

Love,

Pól and Isabel

xox

ReputationRep:
    To the ******* who negative repped me.. We were drunk and obviously taking the piss.. Get a life dude! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :hahaha: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    To the ******* who negative repped me.. We were drunk and obviously taking the piss.. Get a life dude! :rolleyes:
    its just rep, cool it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if this is helpful (fairly obvious advice I guess), but I tried to smile a lot during my interview, especially when affirming something they'd say. I am sure keeping a bright face on helps create a good impression. It may be obvious but I bet many of us forget it under stressful conditions.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.