Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thanks minimo

my college doesn't usually go in for AEAs (I think someone took one in Pyschology lat year, but that was it) but I asked my form tutor if he could set it up and he said yes. I'm probably going to do them in English or History... I doubt I'll get them, but I'd like to give it a go.

Well passion's the one thing I've got in bucketloads Mind you, not much of an "advantage" as I would imagine everyone who wants to study English at a top uni feels the same way - I mean how could you not

ReputationRep:
    don't worry, if you're school doesn't give you a hand, neither does mine, I'm going in for English and Economics...just have a go, and i'm sure you'll do well!

As for passion, It's all very well getting passionate over Milton, but a graph is another matter

ReputationRep:
    OK, am not 2 worried bout that as so far as I can make out, hardly anyone's school seems to have fully gotten to grips with the AEAs - am more concerned about my own ability really lol

true, true!! I cannot imagine anyone getting excited over a graph - you're obviously a very exciting and unique person :p:

ReputationRep:
    and slightly mad too!

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ hehe join the club or the random/strange society lol

so how come you chose Economics over English?

My English teacher called me "a born devotee of literature, an avid and omniverous reader" so hopefully he'll put something like that in my statement which should sound good! He's v cool but v old fashioned! I told him I wasn't going to apply to Oxbridge or Durham originally because of my GCSEs and he snorted at me (charming); I don't think he really understands how bad mine are compared to most of the Oxbridge/Durham applicants though! Did you apply to York? that's where i want to go the most, cos i can't give up history either

did anywhere offer economics *with* english?

ReputationRep:
    Just a word of warning - I heard from people on here earlier in the year that it wasn't always a good idea to mention on your application form that you're taking AEAs, because then you could be made a conditional offer partially based on how you perform in them (i.e. merit, distinction).

Feel free to correct me, anyone...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, no-one offers that course (at least no respectful unis) hehe...it was really hard deciding. Arguably I'm better at English, had a top 5 in GCSE v high UMS marks as well, but at the same time I enjoyed Economics too and I liked the Maths part too...plus I wantd to apply to the LSE as well, so just ended up choosng Economics. I do sometimes wonder if i'd have gotten in for English but oh well, I'm happy. Nopes, I didn't apply to York, but I have an offer from Durham...in fact at first I didn't think i was going to apply to Cambridge...but then i changed my mind...good job too hehe

As for AEAs, I have hardly heard that people get offers with them...its usually STEP that's included and AEA maths for engineering. Don't know how it will work next year, but I'd include them...I did anyway...since you are doing 4 A levels, Bethany, I doubt they will bother to make an AEA offer.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the most important thing to remember is, don't over-do it. You can get so wrapped up into working towards Cambridge that you neglect what really matters: the subject you love. I did 5 AS levels, and whilst it was manageable, it was hectic. I rarely read around the subjects and got by doing the bare minimum for the course. I didn't read for pleasure as much as I'd have liked too, and was missing out on relaxing enjoyment of English. This year I do 3 subjects, love them all, read around them and work hard on them. Yeah, I'm still stressed, but not to the extent I was in the past. I was offered the chance to do English AEA after my Cambridge interview, and turned it down. I need 3As and I don't need extra stress. I don't need to do an AEA to read literature and enjoy its finer points. I read the first page of a novel and get all excited about the technique used: I'm crazy about my subject. By all means, do an AEA, but only do it if it's what you want, you don't need it, especially if your college doesn't readily offer it.

ReputationRep:
    hehe on the other hand, your college may use you as a guinea pig for AEA...i'm the first to have done AEA history in school, which is a daunting prospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
    Just a word of warning - I heard from people on here earlier in the year that it wasn't always a good idea to mention on your application form that you're taking AEAs, because then you could be made a conditional offer partially based on how you perform in them (i.e. merit, distinction).

Feel free to correct me, anyone...
    I mentioned them, but I was careful to make sure that they wouldn't be part of my offer..... which was fortunate because I failed both of them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Well passion's the one thing I've got in bucketloads Mind you, not much of an "advantage" as I would imagine everyone who wants to study English at a top uni feels the same way - I mean how could you not
    You would be surprised!

A friend of a friend interviewed a student from a top public school, who was applying to read English Literature at Oxford. When asked, "Do you describe yourself as a keen reader?" he replied "No, I don't read at all. But I'd do well in the subject."

Needless to say they rejected him. With relish, I think!

As for AEAs, I know Christ's are making offers involving them at the moment and I suspect it may become a more widespread thing, but I don't really know anything about it other than that!

ReputationRep:
    Minimo: Well done in the GCSE and AS Well it's always hard to choose; I can almost see myself studying Law (although tis a bit dull pour moi), French or History... but I just love English the most! Good point - hopefully if I have predictions of 4 As at A level they wouldn't make AEA part of the offer (although I'd be happy just to get that far, lol - and showing I want to take AEAs might help). Apparently sometimes Cambridge says either get AAA or AAB and a distinction in AEA, I think it's fair to do that but a bit harsh to make it a definitive part of the offer!

Charlottie: I know what you mean... Good move switching to 3 A levels, tis much nicer to have free time to read and explore your academic interests in your own way, as yo say As the college doesn't offer extra tuition for AEAs, and you apparently don't have to have had it to take them, I don't think it will add any stress for me (unless a uni makes it part of my offer, lol). Plus, I think it might actually be fun. Obviously I'll be disappointed in the likely event of my failing them, but making comparisons about hopefully interesting unseen texts sounds like quite a congenial way to spend three hours!

ambellina: yep they will be - they've only ever done one in Pyschology I think! Still, the worst that can happen is that we fail, so it's worth a go good luck with your history one

PhilipGarsed: How did you make sure it wasn't part of your offer??

MadNatSci: Really?! Wow. Why apply for English, let alone at a top uni, if you don't actually like reading :confused: Kind of a crucial component of the course I'd say...Surely not many applicants can be like that though!! Yep I heard Christ's does that a lot. Aren't they also the ones who give weird EE offers? Oh well I'm applying to Pembroke/Newnham & I don't think they have a reputation for doing that. I doubt I'll get that far anyway, so never mind! It's a good point someone made though, that if you apply to Oxbridge you probably often improve your chances of getting into other good universities like York (I really want to go there!) as oxbridge applicants tend to put a bit more effort into their statement and reading around the subject; plus they send their applications off earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You would be surprised!

A friend of a friend interviewed a student from a top public school, who was applying to read English Literature at Oxford. When asked, "Do you describe yourself as a keen reader?" he replied "No, I don't read at all. But I'd do well in the subject."

Needless to say they rejected him. With relish, I think!

As for AEAs, I know Christ's are making offers involving them at the moment and I suspect it may become a more widespread thing, but I don't really know anything about it other than that!
    AEAs are COOL!:cool:

Crana's offere involves AEA and she's in Pembroke. So it's not just Christ's asking for them. I think Christ's give out the most though, percentage wise.

ReputationRep:
    MadNatSci: Really?! Wow. Why apply for English, let alone at a top uni, if you don't actually like reading :confused: Kind of a crucial component of the course I'd say...Surely not many applicants can be like that though!! Yep I heard Christ's does that a lot. Aren't they also the ones who give weird EE offers? Oh well I'm applying to Pembroke/Newnham & I don't think they have a reputation for doing that. I doubt I'll get that far anyway, so never mind! It's a good point someone made though, that if you apply to Oxbridge you probably often improve your chances of getting into other good universities like York (I really want to go there!) as oxbridge applicants tend to put a bit more effort into their statement and reading around the subject; plus they send their applications off earlier
    Reading around the subject? We do?:confused: It's probably me who doesn't read at all then. Pembroke is good. Slightly on the mildly expensive side of things. Not very good cooking facility if you are a keen chef. Canteen's food is reasonable, slightly expensive though. Room rent is going up 5-10% next year, watch out for this one if you decide to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...I think there are ways to try to dissuade them from making you an AEA offer. After you submit your CAF they'll send you a questionnaire. On the Trinity one they asked u if u recieved extra help for AEAs from your school. I said no, since mine doesn't, and that way they see that u are doing it coz ur passionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    AEAs are COOL!:cool:

Crana's offere involves AEA and she's in Pembroke. So it's not just Christ's asking for them. I think Christ's give out the most though, percentage wise.
    She also had an alternative non-AEA offer too though, didn't she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    She also had an alternative non-AEA offer too though, didn't she?
    I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    ...PhilipGarsed: How did you make sure it wasn't part of your offer??...
    The engineering department published a table showing which colleges required what for applications, and gave a general idea of what offers would be made on. Clare was down as "offers never made with AEAs/STEP". I should stress this wasn't the main reason I chose Clare - I chose it because I liked it the best, it was just more of a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    AEAs are in no way essential (for most subjects) - I didn't know they were offered in non-science subjects until I arrived here. Furthermore, I only took 3 A-levels and 4 ASs so don't worry unduly about doing all those extra exams unless you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Basically then, what are cambridge then looking for??

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.