Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My name is Marcus and i am going to apply for Architecture at cambridge, my case is a bit of a long shot, but i am going to really try hard anyway.

My GCSE's where not fantastic i got 3 A's, 2 B's , a few C's etc, however i am hoping for good results at College. I am not doing a levels, i am on a BTEC National Diploma in Construction, i am personally aiming for Distinction Distinction Distinction (DDD) which is the equivelent to 3 A grades at A level.

I am resitting a couple of my GCSE's to get more A's and i will also have minor qualifications like Level 3 keyskills and ECDL. I am also making a good art portfolio for my application.

Will i get into Cambridge ?????

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs*
    The only real answer is you COULD get into Cambridge.
    And what's certain is that (cliche coming up - avert eyes if particularly sensitive) if you don't apply, you WON'T get in. Go for it - and good luck!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    *shrugs*
    The only real answer is you COULD get into Cambridge.
    And what's certain is that (cliche coming up - avert eyes if particularly sensitive) if you don't apply, you WON'T get in. Go for it - and good luck!
    x
    Cheers for the warning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAD MAN DARE)
    My name is Marcus and i am going to apply for Architecture at cambridge, my case is a bit of a long shot, but i am going to really try hard anyway.

My GCSE's where not fantastic i got 3 A's, 2 B's , a few C's etc, however i am hoping for good results at College. I am not doing a levels, i am on a BTEC National Diploma in Construction, i am personally aiming for Distinction Distinction Distinction (DDD) which is the equivelent to 3 A grades at A level.

I am resitting a couple of my GCSE's to get more A's and i will also have minor qualifications like Level 3 keyskills and ECDL. I am also making a good art portfolio for my application.

Will i get into Cambridge ?????
    What you need to do is get hold of the Admissions Tutor at your chosen college, and see what they think of your qualifications. No-one here can really answer that for you, we've only seen a limited part of the applications process, and no-one really knows how it works, except admissions tutors. You should definitely give it a shot though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    I really doubt that's true...*adds module marks*

*divides*

No, that's not a requirement.
    Hehe, my friend who's applying for English said that- and thats a really competitive course so maybe thats where that comes from. Whats SPS' reputation there? And what colleges are good for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieposy87)
    Hehe, my friend who's applying for English said that- and thats a really competitive course so maybe thats where that comes from. Whats SPS' reputation there? And what colleges are good for it?
    So's History. And it's still not necessary for English.

As I'm not at Cambridge yet, I can't comment on the reputation of SPS. Colleges, however, I can help with. No college is better than any other for things. You go to lectures with everyone else, and most likely will have your supervisions with a tutor outside your college. Pick one you like instead.

*hint* Trinity Hall is purrdy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    So's History. And it's still not necessary for English.

As I'm not at Cambridge yet, I can't comment on the reputation of SPS. Colleges, however, I can help with. No college is better than any other for things. You go to lectures with everyone else, and most likely will have your supervisions with a tutor outside your college. Pick one you like instead.

*hint* Trinity Hall is purrdy
    Do you (or anyone else) have any idea where there is information about the number of specific subject teachers for each college? The website only lists the director of studies for each- hmm how rubbish! Thanks so much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Do you (or anyone else) have any idea where there is information about the number of specific subject teachers for each college? The website only lists the director of studies for each- hmm how rubbish! Thanks so much for your help.
    Again, it doesn't really matter. Your DoS will co-ordinate your studies, but you will have your supervisions with others, most likely outside your college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Yeah would i get in with 12A*s and 6As at A2? I'm really worried they'll reject me!!!!!
    offers are not based entirely on grades. those are impressive results, but a good personal statement, interview performance and reference are necessary too.

ReputationRep:
    i am doing gcse right now. and i only have 9 subjects.. so would this be enough to apply for oxbridge.. of course, i'll have to have good grades and good A level grades as well.

so would 9 subjects in gcse be enough?

ReputationRep:
    No body really bothers with GCSE (well.. C in English, maths and sciences of course) if you have good A'Level results.

ReputationRep:
    I've talked to people about applying to Cambs and most (regardless whether they're uni people or not) say I've got good chances of getting in. Of course, even when people say that, I feel really worried and think 'they're jinxing me' and I won't get in.

I got 12 A*s at GCSE, got predicted 5As (in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Human Biology and English Langlit) at AS (not incl General Studies).

Academically, I look pretty good but I want to do medicine and it's so competitive!! If I was aiming for a different subject I might feel a bit better but a doctor's what I want to be so.. ga.

ReputationRep:
    My advice, having deliberated as to whether to apply and decided I'm going to apply to Newnham for English despite not having exceptional GCSE results or outstanding extra curric, etc, is have a go - you've got nothing to lose! As far as I can make out, the higher your GCSE and AS grades are the better when applying to uni - but there are many other factors that are taken into account, especially by Cambridge as they still interview such a high number of their candidates. Basically the interview gives you a chance to prove your academic potential and the tutor a chance to see if they'd enjoy teaching you I think. SPS sounds fun

Out of interest what are your friend's results (am weighing up the competition ) What AS's does she/he take? Am always interested in what other Englishy people like at AS!

What other universities dyu want to apply to? I'd love to go to York, it's fabulous for English and History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassygirl)
    I've talked to people about applying to Cambs and most (regardless whether they're uni people or not) say I've got good chances of getting in. Of course, even when people say that, I feel really worried and think 'they're jinxing me' and I won't get in.

I got 12 A*s at GCSE, got predicted 5As (in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Human Biology and English Langlit) at AS (not incl General Studies).

Academically, I look pretty good but I want to do medicine and it's so competitive!! If I was aiming for a different subject I might feel a bit better but a doctor's what I want to be so.. ga.
    those grades are a lot better than mine, and i didn't have much extra curricular stuff to put on my form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    those grades are a lot better than mine, and i didn't have much extra curricular stuff to put on my form.
    I shall inform king's of their mistake immediately :eek:

ReputationRep:
    which colleges have a high proportion of rooms with en suite bathroom?
    this is quite a high priority on my list

ReputationRep:
    Robinson, do, I believe, but the con is that it looks like a car park/prison...

ReputationRep:
    thanks

(Original post by ~Raphael~)
    the con is that it looks like a car park/prison...
    :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    thanks

:biggrin:
    According to what Musicboy said after "the Formal", a woman crashed a car into the Robinson's plodge a few years ago. When asked why, she answered "I thought that's trinity's car park".

ReputationRep:
    My Standard Grades (Scottish equivelant to GCSE's) weren't very good, I mainly got B's. Do you honestly think I should still have a shot at applying?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.