Charlotte1303
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone going to stay in glen eyre halls at Southampton this September?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charlotte1303)
Anyone going to stay in glen eyre halls at Southampton this September?
Hi Charlotte1303,
I stayed in Glen Eyre Halls (Hartley Grove) last year if you have any questions!
We also have a University of Southampton accommodation thread here. There may be some people staying at Glen Eyre next year there?

Daisy (Official University of Southampton Rep)
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glen eyre is my first and second choice so I hope so
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Glen eyre is my first and second choice so I hope so
Glen was great when I stayed there in my First Year!
I stayed in Chamberlain and made lots of great friends.

Matt
M.Econ Student
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi Charlotte1303,
I stayed in Glen Eyre Halls (Hartley Grove) last year if you have any questions!
We also have a University of Southampton accommodation thread here. There may be some people staying at Glen Eyre next year there?

Daisy (Official University of Southampton Rep)
Hey, was just wondering if I could ask a few questions about Hartley grove as I cant find out much online.

What was the condition of the en suites like? E.g was it like a wet room or was there a shower floor?
How was the kitchen for sharing with 6 people?
Lots of people have suggested it's quite a "quiet halls" so I'm a bit worried about that. Did you find the social life was good?

Thank you so much !
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, was just wondering if I could ask a few questions about Hartley grove as I cant find out much online.

What was the condition of the en suites like? E.g was it like a wet room or was there a shower floor?
How was the kitchen for sharing with 6 people?
Lots of people have suggested it's quite a "quiet halls" so I'm a bit worried about that. Did you find the social life was good?

Thank you so much !
Hi,

Firstly, I thought the en-suite was a great size. It didn't feel cramped and, though it took up some space in the bedroom, the bedroom still felt spacious. It wasn't a wet room but the floor was made of waterproof/wet room-like material. The shower was separate with a curtain etc. It was also made of the same waterproof material. I liked this because it stopped anything else on the floor from getting wet and dried quicker.
I know a big question for me was if there were tiles on the wall or not but, for me at least, it was all a similar waterproof material.

Sharing the kitchen with 5 other people was fine. There was enough storage space for everyone with each person getting two cupboards (one for food, tins, etc and one slightly deeper one for saucepans, tupperware, etc) and one shelf on the fridge and one freezer shelf too. The kitchen also had a table with six chairs which was definitely big enough for everyone to sit at. My flatmates and I would occasionally all sit at the table to do work together/watch a film etc and there was enough space.

Cooking wise, it will depend on the people you live with but I found that there were very few occasions when everyone would be cooking at once. I had musical theatre rehearsals so would have to cook quite early most days but I found there were usually about four people cooking at once and this was completely fine. Even if all six people were cooking at once it would be doable though. Again, this will depend on who you live with but I found the kitchen perfectly usable between the six people. I also really liked the kitchen because almost the whole wall was glass windows. This made it really light and bright in the kitchen.

Hartley Grove is a quiet halls but that doesn't mean there's no social life. It generally means that noise should be kept to a minimum after 10pm. Personally, I don't really drink or party which is why I chose the quiet halls but the social aspects for me were still great. It is, of course, possible to go clubbing, drinking etc or to have 'pres' when you're at Hartley but, again, it's just about not being too loud when you come home or late at night. Again, it will depend on who your flatmates are but I still had a great social life at Hartley. My housemates and I would watch films together, go for meals, go shopping etc instead of partying which I preferred. I also had a good social life from societies I was part of.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!
Are you looking at any other halls?

Daisy (an Official University of Southampton Rep)
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Firstly, I thought the en-suite was a great size. It didn't feel cramped and, though it took up some space in the bedroom, the bedroom still felt spacious. It wasn't a wet room but the floor was made of waterproof/wet room-like material. The shower was separate with a curtain etc. It was also made of the same waterproof material. I liked this because it stopped anything else on the floor from getting wet and dried quicker.
I know a big question for me was if there were tiles on the wall or not but, for me at least, it was all a similar waterproof material.

Sharing the kitchen with 5 other people was fine. There was enough storage space for everyone with each person getting two cupboards (one for food, tins, etc and one slightly deeper one for saucepans, tupperware, etc) and one shelf on the fridge and one freezer shelf too. The kitchen also had a table with six chairs which was definitely big enough for everyone to sit at. My flatmates and I would occasionally all sit at the table to do work together/watch a film etc and there was enough space.

Cooking wise, it will depend on the people you live with but I found that there were very few occasions when everyone would be cooking at once. I had musical theatre rehearsals so would have to cook quite early most days but I found there were usually about four people cooking at once and this was completely fine. Even if all six people were cooking at once it would be doable though. Again, this will depend on who you live with but I found the kitchen perfectly usable between the six people. I also really liked the kitchen because almost the whole wall was glass windows. This made it really light and bright in the kitchen.

Hartley Grove is a quiet halls but that doesn't mean there's no social life. It generally means that noise should be kept to a minimum after 10pm. Personally, I don't really drink or party which is why I chose the quiet halls but the social aspects for me were still great. It is, of course, possible to go clubbing, drinking etc or to have 'pres' when you're at Hartley but, again, it's just about not being too loud when you come home or late at night. Again, it will depend on who your flatmates are but I still had a great social life at Hartley. My housemates and I would watch films together, go for meals, go shopping etc instead of partying which I preferred. I also had a good social life from societies I was part of.

I’ve not opted for quiet halls as I thought it would be more for people with noise sensitivity etc but I don’t drink much and I’m not at all interested in clubbing and partying late at night, do you think deleting my application and starting again would be a good idea? I assume a lot of people pick the quieter lifestyle option if Hartley Grove is mostly quiet rooms, did you find the halls were still diverse and had lots of different types of people? Did you have “quiet” friends or know “quiet” people who stayed in regular halls? I’m just thinking will it be harder to meet people who are more up for stuff I’m interested in if I stay in normal halls.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve not opted for quiet halls as I thought it would be more for people with noise sensitivity etc but I don’t drink much and I’m not at all interested in clubbing and partying late at night, do you think deleting my application and starting again would be a good idea? I assume a lot of people pick the quieter lifestyle option if Hartley Grove is mostly quiet rooms, did you find the halls were still diverse and had lots of different types of people? Did you have “quiet” friends or know “quiet” people who stayed in regular halls? I’m just thinking will it be harder to meet people who are more up for stuff I’m interested in if I stay in normal halls.
Hi Hellllpppp

I stayed in halls which weren't classed a quiet in my first year. I was in Wessex Lane and despite it not being an official quiet hall people were generally respectful and everyone was still encouraged to be more quiet after 10pm so I had no issues with living there at all. Like you I'm not a big clubber and it didn't affect my halls experience at all! There's plenty of people who will think like you and not be into partying late and night and I'm sure you will find them - I have many "quiet" friends both who were in my flat and the general Wessex Lane halls as well as the other halls at the University of Southampton so I don't think it will severely impact your uni experience even if the halls you're staying at aren't officially quiet ones.

It is a possibility to resubmit your accommodation application if you want to change but you have to delete your current accommodation offer and there is no guarantee that you will get a different offer back.

For me personally being in regular halls despite classing myself as a quiet person did not affect my uni experience in any way and I was able to make plenty of other quiet friends who also stayed in my halls too! I really hope that this is able to reassure you but I would also reccommend contacting [email protected] if you want to talk about this further with the halls teams! I also thought I'd mention that you can request to be placed in a non-alcohol flat (if this is something that interests you) and you can also contact the accommodation team if you want to find out further information on this.

Anna
2nd Year English and History student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I lived in halls twice and applied for quiet halls the first year and didn't in the second. My personal experience was better in the non-quiet halls - I struggled to fit in with the quiet halls because it was the complete opposite end of the 'partying' experience and too quiet for me! Now that's not to say that that's the situation for all quiet halls, but you will definitely find a mix of people with a mix of interests outside of quiet halls. Partying is not synonymous with being loud, and vice versa, if that makes sense. Additionally, there's always the option to move flats after you move if you don't feel like you're fitting in. I should also add that there will be plenty of opportunities to meet people outside of your halls - on your course and in societies - and it's certainly where I've found most of my friends. Hope this helps but let us know if you have anymore questions

Amy (4th year student rep)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Hellllpppp
I can see some other ambassadors who know much more about non-quiet halls than me have already provided some super helpful replies! But to add to them, I'd definitely say that either one would be great for you! I think a lot of people have similar concerns about quiet halls. I know I did. I had "quiet" friends who didn't enjoy clubbing, etc in both halls but I also had friends in my quiet halls that loved partying and drinking so I definitely think that whichever halls you go for you'll have a really great time!
It's also worth noting that halls also isn't the only place to find like-minded people that are interested in similar things to you. Though I made some great friends in halls, one of which I live with now, I also made close friends through societies. We have over 270 here (and 90 sports societies) and if there's none that you're interested in you can make your own! Societies are a great way to find like-minded people as you already have a common interest.

In short I'd say that no matter which one you choose to go with you'll get to meet people with similar interests either through halls, lessons, societies or other activities! In my experience, there was also a mixture of people in my quiet halls and in my other friends' halls.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

This is so helpful thank you!!

Do u mean that hartley grove just has a reputation for being "quiet" or that all the flats there are specifically for people that request a quiet flat? I'm guessing all accom blocks have quiet and non quiet flats?
I don't want a quiet flat and didn't apply for it but I got hartley, as did a few people I know. But either way I dont think I'm too bothered, as you said there are plenty of others ways to connect with similar people!

I haven't looked at any other halls no as we could only apply to the category of room, not the actaul block. I think I saw chancellors court on the open day a couple years ago! So both are glen eyre cat 1.

Thank you
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is so helpful thank you!!

Do u mean that hartley grove just has a reputation for being "quiet" or that all the flats there are specifically for people that request a quiet flat? I'm guessing all accom blocks have quiet and non quiet flats?
I don't want a quiet flat and didn't apply for it but I got hartley, as did a few people I know. But either way I dont think I'm too bothered, as you said there are plenty of others ways to connect with similar people!

I haven't looked at any other halls no as we could only apply to the category of room, not the actaul block. I think I saw chancellors court on the open day a couple years ago! So both are glen eyre cat 1.

Thank you
Hi!
Honestly, I am not 100% sure about this. I have emailed the accommodation team so will respond as soon as I hear from them.
If you wanted to contact them directly you can do so here: [email protected]

I'm sorry that I have not been able to answer this question fully yet but I will reply with more info as soon as I can.

Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!
Honestly, I am not 100% sure about this. I have emailed the accommodation team so will respond as soon as I hear from them.
If you wanted to contact them directly you can do so here: [email protected]

I'm sorry that I have not been able to answer this question fully yet but I will reply with more info as soon as I can.

Hi,
The accommodation team have informed me that the best thing to do to answer your question is to contact them. You can either phone or email.

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 02380 599 5999 (select option 1)

As you have said, I'm sure you'll have a great time in halls regardless!
Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

What will you be studying?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
32.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.88%
No I am happy with my choice (19)
55.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads