Unemployed for almost a year since graduating

Watch
katerinab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
2:1 in psychology degree been looking for a job since, had to put things on hold a lot in addition to that I was stuck abroad cause of personal matters. Idk what to say I hate my life. A mean girl from university got a job before me which is fair enough by now that she on careers panel at the university I have to work with that. I work part time in retail but I won’t lie this is not where I saw my life and it’s not what I want to do with my life I just wanted to get into something clinical. I wish I had know it was gonna be this hard
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what marketable experience do you have? not jobs (although retail work is still good), experience. what have you done that's interesting, skilled, employable. write about that
amaya244
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
DM me your CV.
katerinab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Insta?
amaya244
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok
Last edited by amaya244; 1 month ago
omarbbbbb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just replying to say that I’m in the same boat. Graduated with a 2:1 in computer science from a top 10 uni and I’m doing nothing apart from applying for jobs.
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by omarbbbbb)
Just replying to say that I’m in the same boat. Graduated with a 2:1 in computer science from a top 10 uni and I’m doing nothing apart from applying for jobs.
Unis always promote how good career prospects for computer science is though...
omarbbbbb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Luwei)
Unis always promote how good career prospects for computer science is though...
Yeah lol it’s rough out here.
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same here graduated last year and still not procured graduate job. Getting to the point now where its awkward now, a year since graduation. In a few interviews I've had to explain myself. Been getting a few interviews, last one said my CV was good but they picked someone with experience.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please do not send your CV to random people on TSR. Instead, use the free service on the CV help forums:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339
Last edited by 0le; 1 month ago
mrballeruk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what uni
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are many jobs in computer science, though I imagine they are also quite competitive as well. I imagine you have a portfolio in GitHub as well?

Make sure in the CV you state how you use the skills. E.g. A made up CV but similar to the format I use:

Code:
Your Name Your number | Your email | Github Link
Education History 2007-11 University of TSR, 2:1 Computer Science
2005-07 College of TSR, A-Levels Maths (A), ICT (A), Physics (A) Relevant Experience 2008-09 Game Project, University of TSR • Used Python to develop script.... • Worked with colleague on UX using Android IDE...in... 2007-08 Machine Learning Project, University of TSR • Estimated XYZ using tensorflow.. ... • Created.... • Presented....
Often my bullet points start with a simple verb such as "reported", "presented", "created", "devised" etc and sometimes I later use adverbs in the bullet point, such as "carefully" and "accurately" as well.
route255
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0le)
There are many jobs in computer science, though I imagine they are also quite competitive as well. I imagine you have a portfolio in GitHub as well?

Make sure in the CV you state how you use the skills. E.g. A made up CV but similar to the format I use:

Code:
Your Name Your number | Your email | Github Link
Education History 2007-11 University of TSR, 2:1 Computer Science
2005-07 College of TSR, A-Levels Maths (A), ICT (A), Physics (A) Relevant Experience 2008-09 Game Project, University of TSR • Used Python to develop script.... • Worked with colleague on UX using Android IDE...in... 2007-08 Machine Learning Project, University of TSR • Estimated XYZ using tensorflow.. ... • Created.... • Presented....
Often my bullet points start with a simple verb such as "reported", "presented", "created", "devised" etc and sometimes I later use adverbs in the bullet point, such as "carefully" and "accurately" as well.
For graduate CV with no experience , is it wise to include retail employment or just put education section?
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
For graduate CV with no experience , is it wise to include retail employment or just put education section?
You would include retail experience under your "relevant experience" section. I always include my decade old retail experience because it shows customer-facing skills and an ability to actually work for a sustained period of time. E.g:

Code:
Relevant Experience

2008-09      Cashier, Tesco, Isle of TSR
             • Carried out customer...
             • Tidied shelves..
Regarding your lack of experience, you will have to be more creative in using the work/projects you did during your degree. They can still demonstrate soft or technical skills.
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry too much, i know people who struggled for even 2 years to do/get any work either because of competition of because of graduate depression, but straight after things changed and they got jobs they're happy with or went on to do a masters a top unis after getting a 2:1. So don't worry too much sometimes things just take time. You don't have to stick with that job and can browse other jobs on the weekend
MiladA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am in the same position. Graduated with a 2.1 MEng Civil Engineering degree in 2020 and have been searching for jobs since. I've had two interviews for grad roles so far (one of them was today) and 1 interview for a general part-time role (been heavily searching for part-time roles for the mean time). I have another graduate interview scheduled for some time this week.

83 roles and counting!
Last edited by MiladA; 1 month ago
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MiladA)
I can send my CV template if anyone would like? I'd have to edit it first ofc.
This is not necessary. As stated above, there is a CV forum dedicated to helping people write CV's.
MiladA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0le)
This is not necessary. As stated above, there is a CV forum dedicated to helping people write CV's.
Ahhh I missed that post - will keep in mind for the future. Thank you!
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MiladA)
I am in the same position. Graduated with a 2.1 MEng Civil Engineering degree in June 2020 and have been searching for jobs since. I've had two interviews for grad roles so far (one of them was today) and 1 interview for a general part-time role (been heavily searching for part-time role for the mean time). I have another interview scheduled for some time this week.

83 roles and counting!
What have you got outside of your degree to make you stand out as a candidate? Presumably your degree is a good one, but a lot of people will have that, and so it is worth taking stock of what projects you have outside of your degree to talk about.

For instance my degree is basically totally pure maths, but I've been successful with data analysis roles because I spend some of my free time learning various different data science tools and programming languages. I have a public portfolio of my work (which isn't very good, but shows I am serious about the field.)

I don't know civil engineering very well, but is there anything like this you could be doing? Writing articles, designing projects, anything of the sort to just make you stand out?

Similar question to you. It is all very well and good saying I got x from y but if you're not doing extra stuff to make yourself stand out even a little you're not going to get anywhere. You need a professional website with projects. If you're still within a year of leaving your alma mater you may also be able to use their jobs board, which is much better than indeed or the like.
route255
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0le)
You would include retail experience under your "relevant experience" section. I always include my decade old retail experience because it shows customer-facing skills and an ability to actually work for a sustained period of time. E.g:

Code:
Relevant Experience

2008-09      Cashier, Tesco, Isle of TSR
            • Carried out customer...
            • Tidied shelves..
Regarding your lack of experience, you will have to be more creative in using the work/projects you did during your degree. They can still demonstrate soft or technical skills.
Yes, I include my retail jobs. I had conflicting advice, some said not to put them in for grad job. Then it makes out I never had a paid job, I worked for like 8 years before Uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (54)
29.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.15%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
54.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed