The Student Room Group

psychology related work experience

I'm starting uni in September and i have a bit of free time till then to commit to some work. I'm trying to look into work that might be relevant for psychology. what do people recommend? i heard care homes and also working with children in primary schools would be a good fit. is this true?
Universities don't generally ask for work experience at undergraduate level, you'd be better off reading journal articles or researching specific areas of psychology you're interested in which you can then include in your personal statement. Any kind of person-facing experience will be beneficial, but it's not essential and probably won't make a whole lot of difference to your application.
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
Universities don't generally ask for work experience at undergraduate level, you'd be better off reading journal articles or researching specific areas of psychology you're interested in which you can then include in your personal statement. Any kind of person-facing experience will be beneficial, but it's not essential and probably won't make a whole lot of difference to your application.

its not for universities necessarily, i just wanted some kind of work experience in hopes that it would help later on when ive finished the degree or applying for internship etc. Also, do you have any recommendations for journals or books?
Original post by Susanakunn
its not for universities necessarily, i just wanted some kind of work experience in hopes that it would help later on when ive finished the degree or applying for internship etc. Also, do you have any recommendations for journals or books?

Remember you'll have long summer holidays throughout uni to find experience as well. How old are you? And is there is a particular area of psychology you're interested in?
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
Remember you'll have long summer holidays throughout uni to find experience as well. How old are you? And is there is a particular area of psychology you're interested in?

I'm 18 and yeah I hope I find good ones during uni. I have a growing interest in developmental psychology but i still need to research more into the different areas though... Maybe I should do that first

Quick Reply