Guidance to decide my subjects for A levels

Watch
ahmadjpeg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm just starting my A levels and i have been thrown into a mental distress that if i should take all of the 4 pure sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths;
I just really don't know if i would be able to maintain all four together or if i should drop one of them.
Will i have enough career choices even if i dropped one of the four?
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It just depends on how smart you are. So what grades have you previous got in GCSE? And even 3 of those should give ample career paths
..M..
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ll definitely be fine with taking just 3 subjects; when I was applying to unis I didn’t even see one that required you to take 4, you wouldn’t be limiting your career prospects by taking 3. Some of them do require you to take certain subjects though, so maybe think about what career you’re most likely to want to pursue and drop one of the 4 according to which one is least vital to it
ohnojay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what career path you're thinking of taking - research possible careers you're thinking about. If you don't think you could maintain all 4 subjects, drop one, 3 is already hard and depending on the college, you might get more homework / independent studies.

I was taking 4 subjects at the start of the year (maths, fm, physics and history) and I ended up dropping fm because I didn't want to sacrifice all of my social life and hobbies, plus my college gave independent studies / homework that took minimum 4 hours each, usually taking longer. You might be in a different situation but it's just from my experience, everyone I knew dropped 4 subjects in the end but you could do well.

As someone already said, all unis only require 3 A-Levels, some only requiring fm for some subjects, you also don't want to risk the grades of 3 of the subjects to be able to have 4 qualifications, it's better an A*AA than an AABB.

Do you know what career you may want to go in?
ahmadjpeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
It just depends on how smart you are. So what grades have you previous got in GCSE? And even 3 of those should give ample career paths
I have 4 A’s, 1 B and a C; I still have two remaining subjects that I’m going to finish off.
ahmadjpeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohnojay)
Depends what career path you're thinking of taking - research possible careers you're thinking about. If you don't think you could maintain all 4 subjects, drop one, 3 is already hard and depending on the college, you might get more homework / independent studies.

I was taking 4 subjects at the start of the year (maths, fm, physics and history) and I ended up dropping fm because I didn't want to sacrifice all of my social life and hobbies, plus my college gave independent studies / homework that took minimum 4 hours each, usually taking longer. You might be in a different situation but it's just from my experience, everyone I knew dropped 4 subjects in the end but you could do well.

As someone already said, all unis only require 3 A-Levels, some only requiring fm for some subjects, you also don't want to risk the grades of 3 of the subjects to be able to have 4 qualifications, it's better an A*AA than an AABB.

Do you know what career you may want to go in?
I really want to give a go at medicine or psychology so yes, I’m going to drop and work on the subject line-up again. Thanks for the advice though.
Jaz._bg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ahmadjpeg)
I'm just starting my A levels and i have been thrown into a mental distress that if i should take all of the 4 pure sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths;
I just really don't know if i would be able to maintain all four together or if i should drop one of them.
Will i have enough career choices even if i dropped one of the four?
I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and it's quite stressful and I did quite well in my GCSE's. Having four a-levels aren't worth the pressure and could affect your grade quite a bit. Having three a-levels at a good grade is better than four with a lower grade so I suggest maybe dropping one. Dropping one can affect your career choices but it just depends what you want to do really like for example medicine you need Chemistry with one other science but that can also include Biology, Physics or Maths so you just pick whichever three you feel would be best for you and your interests
xOutcast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hihi,
As others have said, studying three ALs well is much better than four doing okay. I studied Maths, FM, Physics, and Chemistry and took all four because I was comfortable, so it's however you feel. For medicine, I'd be inclined to drop physics as the others are required/highly recommended, but it's up to you. Dropping one of bio/chem/phys is unlikely to affect any future career prospect (with the exception of medicine with my personal recommendation above), but if you study well and keep yourself motivated and most importantly yourself happy, there's every chance you could do all 4 and do well!
Bethparkerr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could probably drop one any time you want, so you could stay with 4 for now until it gets too much and then drop one. Or you might decide to carry on with all of them. Universities only require 3, so you probably won’t be limiting your options
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads