Hi, hope you are doing well!

I have offers from these universities for MSc Data Science:
The University of Sheffield
University of Nottingham
Newcastle University
The University of Exeter
University of Bath
Loughborough University (London Campus)

Would really appreciate it if you could give an overall rank to these universities keeping some factors in mind - Student Life, Ease of getting part time job, Academic facilities, Chances of landing a top 100 company on graduation. Looking for an unfiltered opinion since I feel university websites and league tables are sugarcoated…

Thanks for taking the time to help!
kwtkwsk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would choose either Newcastle or Bath, as they have the best courses, as well are both are amazing cities to live in, have a strong sense of student community (unlike e.g. univeristies in London), can get you a place at top companies. Moreover, both are vibrant towns with plenty of opportunities for part-time jobs. Univeristies like Loughborough or Nottingham are much less likely to give you all that
chief_popo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kwtkwsk)
I would choose either Newcastle or Bath, as they have the best courses, as well are both are amazing cities to live in, have a strong sense of student community (unlike e.g. univeristies in London), can get you a place at top companies. Moreover, both are vibrant towns with plenty of opportunities for part-time jobs. Univeristies like Loughborough or Nottingham are much less likely to give you all that
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply!

A lot of people advised me to check out the course content and it helped me narrow down to Nottingham and Newcastle. One thing I liked about Notts is that it's a campus uni. I feel people living on campus have a stronger community (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Having done my undergraduate in a city uni I realized that it's difficult to make new friends outside the classroom...
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chief_popo)

University of Nottingham
Newcastle University
The University of Exeter
University of Bath

Would really appreciate it if you could give an overall rank to these universities keeping some factors in mind - Student Life, Ease of getting part time job, Academic facilities, Chances of landing a top 100 company on graduation. Looking for an unfiltered opinion since I feel university websites and league tables are sugarcoated…

Hey! Current Sheffield student here. One thing I would recommend is visiting the universities to see what feeling you have when you're there! When I came to Sheffield on day trips I could tell that I felt like it was homely and felt safe. The Students' Union is great and we have over 350 clubs and societies to join so easy to make friends with like minded people. Hope this helps slightly! Do let me know if you have any specific questions

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chief_popo)

University of Nottingham
Newcastle University
The University of Exeter
University of Bath

Hi chief_popo :hello:

Congratulations on receiving an offer to study at Loughborough University London!

There's lots of factors to consider when it comes to making a university decision. Perhaps have a think and weigh up the importance of each to you and what it is you want from a university, to help narrow down your decision These factors could include...

Course- look carefully at the topics and modules you will study on the programme. Would you be happy studying all of them? A degree is a big commitment, so it's important that you will be happy studying the course for its entire duration. You might also consider the course's reputation, facilities and career opportunities post-study.

Student support - take a look at the support services available at the university to ensure they have everything you need to succeed during your studies and beyond. Loughborough University London provides a variety of opportunities for you to develop the skills and attributes you need to reach your career goals. Throughout the duration of your programme, you will take part in a wide range of activities that have been designed to enhance your personal and professional development. Career development is an intrinsic element of every postgraduate programme at Loughborough University London. From tasks set by real businesses to organisation-based dissertation projects, we will connect you to a wide range of opportunities which will enhance your professional skills and experience. We regularly bring employers onto campus and work with them to recruit our graduates at the end of the year, ranking 1st in the UK for employer-student connections (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020).

Location - Would you prefer a smaller town/city or a global city like London? What are the transport links like if you want to travel? London is extremely well-connected by road, rail and air, and offers everything you need as a student and more within easy reach, as well as offering a wide range of part-time employment opportunities. Our campus is located inside Here East, an inspiring innovation hub on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, and houses a wide range of purpose-built facilities fitted with the highest quality equipment to provide an immersive and stimulating learning experience, as well as a range of versatile work spaces for independent study and group work. You can take a look around our campus and around London by watching our video tours below!

Accommodation - check out what accommodation is available based on your individual preferences. We have approved accommodation with Unite Stratford One, just a short walk from campus. Student.com also offers a search platform for you to compare a range of accommodation options in London.

I hope this helps! You'll find lots more information at our online prospectus, including reasons to study here and case studies.

All the best!
-Dan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
15.96%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (59)
31.38%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.17%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.51%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (10)
5.32%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
26.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.6%

Watched Threads