Psych, English or Medicine - What to study at uni!!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m in year 12 rn and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do at uni but I’m v v confused. I’m trying to decide between courses which are very different from one another and need advice. It’s currently between Psychology, Medicine and English Lit and I really need to decide soon, esp if I decide I want to go w/ medicine. If anyone’s doing those courses or has advice on how they decided it would be rlly appreciated!
Anonymous #1
I’m currently doing bio, chem, psych and English lit a level btw, any advice would be great,
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I’m in year 12 rn and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do at uni but I’m v v confused. I’m trying to decide between courses which are very different from one another and need advice. It’s currently between Psychology, Medicine and English Lit and I really need to decide soon, esp if I decide I want to go w/ medicine. If anyone’s doing those courses or has advice on how they decided it would be rlly appreciated!
What are your reasons for wanting to study each course?

As ecolier would say, if you're torn between medicine and something else, do something else.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Okay I’ll give you the pros and cons
Medicine pros: I really enjoy the human side of biology, and find anatomy and the human body v interesting, I’m a pretty good people person, there’s always likely to be job opportunities etc, and I would like to be able to help people
Cons: I’m not sure about dealing with death and difficult situations on a daily basis, I don’t love chemistry, (although people I’ve talked to say after a level there isn’t that much chem apart from bio chem), and overall it’s very demanding with lots of tests throughout ( but I don’t mind continuing learning actually?)
I have to decide very soon as it’s an earlier deadline.

English pros: I like reading and I especially like analysing pieces of literature and looking for other meaning and things, I might like to teach English in the future, and I am good at and just enjoy literature a level in general
Cons: I have this perception of people who do English as being super intellectual and even though I’m good at it I worry that at uni, amongst all ppl who are good at lit, I might not be good enough. I know I won’t love all the books that we study and I feel like in those cases I might be unmotivated. But i guess that applies to all courses. Sometimes it feels a little futile to me even though I really enjoy it, as opposed to something like medicine which has direct impact and good in the real world

Psychology: I really enjoy studying it and find it v interesting, it’s kind of a mix of human biology with a more analytical side which seems good.
Cons: I’m not sure what I’d go into afterwards, there might be a lack of jobs, it’s pretty competitive (as with the others though)

I know this is super long as you can tell I’m very torn 😭 but thanks for your help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
What are your reasons for wanting to study each course?

As ecolier would say, if you're torn between medicine and something else, do something else.
Why would you say to do the something else?
Anonymous #1
This may have sounded slightly curt sorry but I’m genuinely curious haha
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't study medicine, so I may be just speculating here, but medicine is usually a calling - the people that do it only ever wanted to do medicine, it wasn't just one of many options for them. Medicine is also extremely intensive (in terms of workload) and competitive (in terms of applying), so isn't a course to be entered into lightly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I don't study medicine, so I may be just speculating here, but medicine is usually a calling - the people that do it only ever wanted to do medicine, it wasn't just one of many options for them. Medicine is also extremely intensive (in terms of workload) and competitive (in terms of applying), so isn't a course to be entered into lightly.
Yes your right about the intensity and competitiveness, but I do know people who weren’t sure about medicine until later on and are happy with it now so I’m not sure
Anonymous #1
Do you or anyone else have any other advice?
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would only echo the thing about Medicine. It definitely is a calling, and the reasons you've listed: death and difficult situations, are why it's not for everyone. You're not going to get the best paying job, you're not going to have sociable work hours, and you're going to be studying/training for a minimum of 10 years. For those who have that innate desire to help others, they can overlook these things. But if you don't have that, there's no reason for you to choose it over something else.

If you do want to explore though, my advice would be to very quickly book some medical work experience somewhere. It may be difficult to find a doctor to shadow in these times, but you can at least volunteer in a hospital to get some exposure and insight into the profession. I say quickly because if you do want to go through this route, you'll want to spend part of your holidays (a good month or two) studying for the UCAT exam.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you’re torn between them, speech and language therapy or occupational therapy may strike a happy medium between all three. SLT is essentially applied psychology and linguistics but there’s a medical side to it as well, especially if you’re working in the acute side or in complex needs.
I think work experience is what you need though. For anything healthcare related.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a doctor and I don't think there's anything wrong with being undecided between medicine and other courses, and I certainly don't think that means you shouldn't do medicine.

I guess work experience would probably be useful here (although tbh, I'm not convinced that work experience gives an overly accurate insight into a medical career anyway).

It is difficult to give advice here, as it will come down to your personal preferences etc. You do seem to have put some sensible thought into this, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads