mattlaws2306
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have 2 industrial placement offers, please help me decide which is best. I am currently studying quite a mathematical life sciences degree. I am not quite sure what I want to do in the future- I don't want to do a lab based role so I am sort of choosing between a career in Business/ Finance or working at a Pharmaceutical company (but not doing lab work). I want to have a good salary and a career with good progression.

So my 2 offers are:

1) Audit at one of the Big Four (EY, PwC, Deloitte, KPMG)
2) Regulatory affairs at a big pharmaceutical firm (in the top 10)

I don't want to give the actual names of the companies, sorry.

PROS OF AUDIT: I think having one of the Big 4 on your CV looks more impressive than a pharmaceutical company (however I could be wrong). Is there more money in finance/ audit than in pharmaceuticals ?(again, may be wrong). I could live at home and commute for the year, save money. The assessment process for the Big 4 was a lot more intense than the pharmaceutical company as it had a lot more stages. However I have also been rejected from a lot of the pharmaceutical companies, so they are probably v. competitive too. I think it will be a good experience to spend just a year in audit to see if I hate it as I think I am more guaranteed to like working at the pharma company. If you impress at the Big 4 job you are guaranteed a graduate job. But at the pharma company I think you have to go through the application process, which is time consuming in the final year of your degree.

PROS OF REGULATORY AFFAIRS: As I don't know what I want to do in the future, the fact that this role is a mix of science/ legal/ business might open a lot more doors for me and I could play on any of these aspects at future job interviews because not only have I shown an interest in science from working at the pharma company, it has also given me some business knowledge etc. I think the Big 4 are known for working you very hard and I would also have exams to study for during that year, and I think the pharmaceutical company sounds like a nicer, friendlier place and probably easier work.
Seyiojo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mattlaws2306)
I have 2 industrial placement offers, please help me decide which is best. I am currently studying quite a mathematical life sciences degree. I am not quite sure what I want to do in the future- I don't want to do a lab based role so I am sort of choosing between a career in Business/ Finance or working at a Pharmaceutical company (but not doing lab work). I want to have a good salary and a career with good progression.

So my 2 offers are:

1) Audit at one of the Big Four (EY, PwC, Deloitte, KPMG)
2) Regulatory affairs at a big pharmaceutical firm (in the top 10)

I don't want to give the actual names of the companies, sorry.

PROS OF AUDIT: I think having one of the Big 4 on your CV looks more impressive than a pharmaceutical company (however I could be wrong). Is there more money in finance/ audit than in pharmaceuticals ?(again, may be wrong). I could live at home and commute for the year, save money. The assessment process for the Big 4 was a lot more intense than the pharmaceutical company as it had a lot more stages. However I have also been rejected from a lot of the pharmaceutical companies, so they are probably v. competitive too. I think it will be a good experience to spend just a year in audit to see if I hate it as I think I am more guaranteed to like working at the pharma company. If you impress at the Big 4 job you are guaranteed a graduate job. But at the pharma company I think you have to go through the application process, which is time consuming in the final year of your degree.

PROS OF REGULATORY AFFAIRS: As I don't know what I want to do in the future, the fact that this role is a mix of science/ legal/ business might open a lot more doors for me and I could play on any of these aspects at future job interviews because not only have I shown an interest in science from working at the pharma company, it has also given me some business knowledge etc. I think the Big 4 are known for working you very hard and I would also have exams to study for during that year, and I think the pharmaceutical company sounds like a nicer, friendlier place and probably easier work.
Did you decide in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (247)
57.31%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (57)
13.23%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (37)
8.58%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed