The Student Room Group

Two Jobs as a Student?

Is it doable to have two part time jobs while studying at university? The reason I’m asking is I already have a 16 hour part time contract and I will also be starting a part time position which is 14 hours. I don’t start University until September and I am hoping to leave my current job in a year or so hence why I applied for my new job.

Thanks 😊
It really all depends on your schedule and how you feel.

If you feel stressed, maybe you should try to move things around or quit one. If not, go for it. :yep:

Just don't let it affect your mental health. That's the most important.

Best of luck! :smile:
30 hours on top of your uni work would likely be extremely tough. Two jobs isn't necessarily a problem, but those hours very likely will be (eg. I know someone this year who had a 16 hour part time, entirely flexible job who even despite having entirely flexible hours in both uni and his job due to lockdowns ended up falling considerably behind in some modules this year, and while not an overworker, he was fairly good prior to getting the job about keeping up).
I'd give up your current job when you start uni in September or you may burn yourself out very quickly :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by sunny.side.up
It really all depends on your schedule and how you feel.

If you feel stressed, maybe you should try to move things around or quit one. If not, go for it. :yep:

Just don't let it affect your mental health. That's the most important.

Best of luck! :smile:

I am not sure what my uni schedule is but my new job is very interested and supportive towards my education which is why they don’t want me doing too much 😊

in terms of mental health, I know what signs to look out for to avoid burn out. Other than that, I am very excited!
Original post by rachel_16
I am not sure what my uni schedule is but my new job is very interested and supportive towards my education which is why they don’t want me doing too much 😊

in terms of mental health, I know what signs to look out for to avoid burn out. Other than that, I am very excited!

That's great they are considerate of that!

Awesome!
Reply 5
Original post by sunny.side.up
That's great they are considerate of that!

Awesome!

Yeah it’s amazing hence why I am potentially leaving my current job as it’s just completely a shambles since I have been there to be honest. It’s far too much stress for what I am expected to do.
It depends on the student's health, academic course and other personal circumstances.
I've worked up to eight part time jobs for 1-2 terms while a full time uni student.
I am working 4 now plus volunteering.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on the student's health, academic course and other personal circumstances.
I've worked up to eight part time jobs for 1-2 terms while a full time uni student.
I am working 4 now plus volunteering.

Wow that’s impressive! You must be busy all the time.
Reply 8
Original post by rachel_16
Is it doable to have two part time jobs while studying at university? The reason I’m asking is I already have a 16 hour part time contract and I will also be starting a part time position which is 14 hours. I don’t start University until September and I am hoping to leave my current job in a year or so hence why I applied for my new job.

The advice I've seen is that you should treat doing a degree as being like a full-time job, and should hence should expect to spend 35-40 hours a week working on it.

So I'd be wary about working more than 16-20 hours a week on top of your studying. Having two jobs totalling 30 hours a week on top of studying full time sounds excessive, and something will suffer somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending