Finding a Level 4 Apprenticeship in Software development

Watch
*T_H*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, I was just wondering as I am looking to start an apprenticeship in September 2022, is it hard to find a L4 apprenticeship and how does the progression work from L4 to a degree apprenticeship and what the experience is like when trying to find a job with this qualification
Mahoganyyyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are wanting to do a degree apprenticeship, DO NOT do a level 4 apprenticeship - this will disallow you from doing a degree apprenticeship. The first year of a degree apprenticeship is the level 4, and if you already have it, you will be disqualified from the degree apprenticeship.

Do the Level 3 in Software Development Technician, or go straight into a degree apprenticeship.
*T_H*
Rep:
?
so instead of doing the level 4, after a levels should I jump straight to a level 5?
Mahoganyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by *T_H*)
so instead of doing the level 4, after a levels should I jump straight to a level 5?
No, that’s not possible. After A levels, you can start the degree apprenticeship straight away. Or do a level 3. I did a level 3 after failing my AS levels, now I’m doing a degree apprenticeship.
*T_H*
Rep:
?
sorry but I don't understand, what level is the degree apprenticeship, to my knowledge it is at level 5/6.
also what is the university studying portion of your course like, is there a lot of content to cover?
Mahoganyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by *T_H*)
sorry but I don't understand, what level is the degree apprenticeship, to my knowledge it is at level 5/6.
also what is the university studying portion of your course like, is there a lot of content to cover?
The degree apprenticeship has 3 levels. Year 1 is Level 4, Year 2 is Level 5, Year 3 is Level 6.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A level 4 doesn't necessarily disqualify you from a level 6 (degree apprenticeship) in the same area. A level 4 apprenticeship can be great, particularly at companies like Google, Bloomberg and Facebook who solely offer level 4 apprenticeships. This is because companies put significantly more value on industry experience than education/qualifications and the top companies. These massive tech giants have decided that to become a software developer/engineer, you do not need education above a level 4 qualification so the additional 2-3 years of university is not as valuable as the experience that would take its place.

I do not intend to say that level 4 apprenticeships are better than level 6 apprenticeships because, at any non-tech giant company, they may not be able to get you to the level of a competent software developer/engineer in the time a tech giant would be. So apply for a level 6 unless you can get a level 4 at a top company.

Oh yeah and with the ability to program well, you will unlikely struggle to find a job for the rest of your career. It has a ridiculously high demand and little supply of software engineers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads