Finding a Level 4 Apprenticeship in Software development

Watch this thread
*T_H*
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, I was just wondering as I am looking to start an apprenticeship in September 2022, is it hard to find a L4 apprenticeship and how does the progression work from L4 to a degree apprenticeship and what the experience is like when trying to find a job with this qualification
Mahoganyyyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
If you are wanting to do a degree apprenticeship, DO NOT do a level 4 apprenticeship - this will disallow you from doing a degree apprenticeship. The first year of a degree apprenticeship is the level 4, and if you already have it, you will be disqualified from the degree apprenticeship.

Do the Level 3 in Software Development Technician, or go straight into a degree apprenticeship.
*T_H*
Rep:
so instead of doing the level 4, after a levels should I jump straight to a level 5?
Mahoganyyyy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by *T_H*)
so instead of doing the level 4, after a levels should I jump straight to a level 5?
No, that’s not possible. After A levels, you can start the degree apprenticeship straight away. Or do a level 3. I did a level 3 after failing my AS levels, now I’m doing a degree apprenticeship.
*T_H*
Rep:
sorry but I don't understand, what level is the degree apprenticeship, to my knowledge it is at level 5/6.
also what is the university studying portion of your course like, is there a lot of content to cover?
Mahoganyyyy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by *T_H*)
sorry but I don't understand, what level is the degree apprenticeship, to my knowledge it is at level 5/6.
also what is the university studying portion of your course like, is there a lot of content to cover?
The degree apprenticeship has 3 levels. Year 1 is Level 4, Year 2 is Level 5, Year 3 is Level 6.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
A level 4 doesn't necessarily disqualify you from a level 6 (degree apprenticeship) in the same area. A level 4 apprenticeship can be great, particularly at companies like Google, Bloomberg and Facebook who solely offer level 4 apprenticeships. This is because companies put significantly more value on industry experience than education/qualifications and the top companies. These massive tech giants have decided that to become a software developer/engineer, you do not need education above a level 4 qualification so the additional 2-3 years of university is not as valuable as the experience that would take its place.

I do not intend to say that level 4 apprenticeships are better than level 6 apprenticeships because, at any non-tech giant company, they may not be able to get you to the level of a competent software developer/engineer in the time a tech giant would be. So apply for a level 6 unless you can get a level 4 at a top company.

Oh yeah and with the ability to program well, you will unlikely struggle to find a job for the rest of your career. It has a ridiculously high demand and little supply of software engineers.
uchihax
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I just failed my as level and I’m 19 . I want to do an apprenticeship in software engineering/ development. Would you you say I start with level 3 then go to level 4 then work my way up and if so after I finish level 4 am I allowed to apply for level 5 in a different company
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uchihax)
I just failed my as level and I’m 19 . I want to do an apprenticeship in software engineering/ development. Would you you say I start with level 3 then go to level 4 then work my way up and if so after I finish level 4 am I allowed to apply for level 5 in a different company
Level 3 apprenticeships in software development are rare and I don't think I have ever seen a level 5. They are mostly level 4 and level 6 (both of which require a-levels). A level 3 apprenticeship would be ideal but are hard to find. An alternative would be going to a coding bootcamp and then trying to find a junior-level role (likely frontend or web development). You can then move your way up.
uchihax
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Level 3 apprenticeships in tsoftware development are rare and I don't think I have ever seen a level 5. They are mostly level 4 and level 6 (both of which require a-levels). A level 3 apprenticeship would be ideal but are hard to find. An alternative would be going to a coding bootcamp and then trying to find a junior-level role (likely frontend or web development). You can then move your way up.
Thank you . Thinking of self teaching myself and doing a course from udemy . I’m honestly just scared because I’m raised in a family where university is the only way . But I’ll take the risk and see where I need up going . Wish me the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (9)
20.45%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (14)
31.82%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (3)
6.82%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (4)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (10)
22.73%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
4.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
4.55%

Watched Threads