How do I become excited about the future after leaving school?

Watch
glonkshlonk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just left school today for the last time. And I'm not as happy as I wish I was, basically im here because i want you guys to write something inspiring and encouraging. Im just so scared because i dont even know what college or sixth form i want to go to, and i went to this high school for 5 years. im just so sad ive left to be honest like im gonna miss everyone but i have no reason to speak to most of the people there ever again, which just makes me sad. how do i become hopeful about the future again? im just so nervous about college/sixth form because i dont even know where im going... its like i just cant imagine life without school... what do i do?
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
College isn't much different than High School. You get more freedom and reduced lesson hours (2-4 hours independent learning should be done though, it's not as intimidating as it sounds).

The classroom environment is basically the same, "laws" on clothing don't exist and the amount of people in each class will vary, lets say, 10-30 students. I doubt you'll have to wake up early everyday.

You will feel lonely sometimes if you can't meet up with your friends so arranging to chill together outside is tbe best way to do it.

Put it this way, HS is basically the same as a Sixth-Form College but you're expected to do a lot more revision outside lessons, there's more freedom and teachers are generally lenient.

Try not to worry about what happens after you get accepted, it's a fairly smooth process.

It's not much to be excited about, just being completely honest, but that goes with most things.
Last edited by urlocalinmate; 1 month ago
Reolksjc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glonkshlonk)
I've just left school today for the last time. And I'm not as happy as I wish I was, basically im here because i want you guys to write something inspiring and encouraging. Im just so scared because i dont even know what college or sixth form i want to go to, and i went to this high school for 5 years. im just so sad ive left to be honest like im gonna miss everyone but i have no reason to speak to most of the people there ever again, which just makes me sad. how do i become hopeful about the future again? im just so nervous about college/sixth form because i dont even know where im going... its like i just cant imagine life without school... what do i do?
I was in the same position as you last year and I went to the same sixth form my secondary had. Worst decision ever. So I wasted this abnormal year doing science and sociology. I enjoyed it ofcourse but, there was barely anyone in my classes and I didn't fit in and I missed a lot of work. I procrastinated a lot and, thought about what I was gonna be in the future and realised I have no clue and I am not happy. So I am trying to finish the year (mocks are pretty soon) and pass them and move to a college. I'm really nervous today is the open day and I am really scared because, there will be a lot of people. To be honest I suggest you make a decisions for yourself not to please anyone else but yourself. And try to get a clearer idea of what you enjoy. It's very scary to decide what you might end up doing at the age of 16/17 because most of us have no clue tbh. I wish you the best of luck and hope you choose the subjects or other courses you enjoy.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t worry each successive stage of education is better than the one before as you get closer to the frontiers of knowledge and are treated more like an adult. The big step up for me was going from 6th form to College to repeat A levels. The lifting of repressive school regimes was uplifting. Uni is a step up again with so many exciting opportunities. Sort your college out and look for to the next adventure
thecivilgrad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Each moment your in is the best moment of your life. Don't stress about the things you cannot change. Cultivate the friendships you made while in secondary school. Put yourself in interesting and new situations in sixth form or college. Life is beautiful. You will never be this old again so enjoy it.

Life is learning. You don't know whether you will go back to school, get a PhD at 50, attend a summer school or become a teacher.

For the sake of your sanity and peace, don't worry about the passing of time. Embrace the new and appreciate the past.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.48%
Uncertainty around my education (61)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (64)
12.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (69)
13.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.48%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.54%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (56)
10.59%
Financial worries (32)
6.05%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.78%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.24%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.84%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (53)
10.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (44)
8.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed