I am afghan and I consider myself white

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There's not really a definite answer regarding what afghans are classed as. Are they south asian? Central asian? Caucasian? There seems to be mixed opinions on it. I'm afghan (specifically pashtun), is it okay if I identify as white?
Iownuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People usually identify as white if they look european white. Some Japanese and koreans have white skin but are not considered white. Same for persians and chinese people
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Erm.... Welcome to the white race? No skin off my nose what you call yourself.
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
race was made up and then justified, so there's no definite way to "tell" whether someone is "allowed" to be white.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Iownuk)
People usually identify as white if they look european white. Some Japanese and koreans have white skin but are not considered white. Same for persians and chinese people
I can pass for white for sure, I get mistaken for it multiple times. I have blonde hair, light coloured eyes and light skin
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
race was made up and then justified, so there's no definite way to "tell" whether someone is "allowed" to be white.
So if i identify as white at uni, will other people not take offence?
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There's not really a definite answer regarding what afghans are classed as. Are they south asian? Central asian? Caucasian? There seems to be mixed opinions on it. I'm afghan (specifically pashtun), is it okay if I identify as white?
I am Afghan (persian-speaking pashtun if you wanna know the specifics lol - fun fact, I thought I was Tajik for a long time) and most definitely do not identify as White. I don't look White haha. I look more West-asian lol but I don't identify as one.
Conclusion:
We are Central Asian
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are not Pashtuns Caucasoid?
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So if i identify as white at uni, will other people not take offence?
people might be confused if you don't look white, but i doubt youll have too much trouble
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
Are not Pashtuns Caucasoid?
Technically yes. Afghans are considered mostly “white” with some “Asian” mixed in (according to DNA analysis).

This is because some of the groups of white (Aryan) origin who migrated north from Africa to Europe also migrated east to Central Asia. The branch of humans that settled in Central Asia became known as Central Asians, those who settled in Europe became known as Europeans.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Nah mate we're all brown relax 😂
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Technically yes. Afghans are considered mostly “white” with some “Asian” mixed in (according to DNA analysis).

This is because some of the groups of white (Aryan) origin who migrated north from Africa to Europe also migrated east to Central Asia. The branch of humans that settled in Central Asia became known as Central Asians, those who settled in Europe became known as Europeans.
Confirmed
Igotbbcalevel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm from Ghana and consider myself white too
Mo.Hamid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just say I’m Lebanese and let people make their own decisions about weather I’m white or Asian or whatever. Doesn’t really bother me

Some Afghans definitely look very white some look brown I don’t think it really matters I doubt anyone will be offended by what you call yourself
Last edited by Mo.Hamid; 1 month ago
Ram Ranch
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's perfectly logical. There are Afghans who look White and White people who look Afghan.

The ancestors of both Germans and Afghans stepped out from the Ural mountains in the caucus and some went East and the other West. It makes more sense to group yourself with Europeans than it does Dravidians or Arabs

Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The ethnic options offered on most forms aren't very logical and don't make sense for many people. By a process of elimination, 'Asian other' appears to include both Israelis and Japanese -and probably Afghans- whereas there doesn't seem to be an option for people from South America at all.

Pick what you like.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
I'm from Ghana and consider myself white too
Srs?
Son of the Sea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean you can identify as whatever you want. Doesn’t mean others will agree with it but tbh it shouldn’t matter what other people think. As long as your self identity isn’t harming anyone else then you’re free to think of yourself as a T. rex for all anyone cares.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Celtic Conjurer)
I mean you can identify as whatever you want. Doesn’t mean others will agree with it but tbh it shouldn’t matter what other people think. As long as your self identity isn’t harming anyone else then you’re free to think of yourself as a T. rex for all anyone cares.
Yeah but this isn’t the same as someone non-binary who doesn’t identify with either gender which is widely accepted. If someone is white and identifies as black, people wouldn’t react very well would they?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I can pass for white for sure, I get mistaken for it multiple times. I have blonde hair, light coloured eyes and light skin
marra moung pakhtoon yoo aw da afghanistan pe asia ke khu tah 'white' na yeh. I also have light skin and brown hair but that technically doesnt mean i consider myself white, i just say im afghan and let people assume whatever they want. If you want to ask me as an afghan what i consider myself, I'd say central asian(btw im pakhtoon too)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads