Do close platonic friends between males and females generally end when one is taken?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do opposite sex platonic close friendships generally end when one of them gets a partner? If they see each other weekly.
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No... They're just freinds... No reason why the freindship cannot continue unless the partner is prone to jealousy and has a toxic/controlling personality... But in that case they shouldn't be together.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
sometimes it continues but you have to understand and accept why it would be weird. i mean imagine if youre future partner had a friend of the opposite sex. and even if they were just a friend how would you like it if they still spent many days together? it is a bit weird, theres no denying. your partner should always come first now
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
sometimes it continues but you have to understand and accept why it would be weird. i mean imagine if youre future partner had a friend of the opposite sex. and even if they were just a friend how would you like it if they still spent many days together? it is a bit weird, theres no denying. your partner should always come first now
But wouldn’t you miss them? If you used to spend half your time with them?
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not if they are genuinely just friends, if one side is harbouring hopes then that’s another matter. Also you do tend to have a bit less time for friends in the early stages of a new relationship
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Nope - my best friend is male, I'm taken and we also currently live several hundred miles away. We still talk for hours every week and my boyfriend is looking forward to meeting him in the summer. Most of my friends are straight or bisexual men and I wouldn't say that there are many noticeable differences in my relationships with them since getting into a relationship.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll probably see them a lot less since they're spending most of their time with their bf/gf. That happens in same sex friendships too.

It really depends on the person because everyone is different.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
Not in genuine and committed platonic friendships where there has never been any sexual interest or involvement.
Most of my friends are male and in relationships.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But wouldn’t you miss them? If you used to spend half your time with them?
you have something better so naturally you should only be thinking about your new partner
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say potentially yes, because the person who gets a partner will then be more inclined to spend a lot of their time with their partner.

I don't think the friendship would usually end completely, but they likely would see a lot less of each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
5.91%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
11.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (32)
15.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
6.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (17)
8.37%
Financial worries (10)
4.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (15)
7.39%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (24)
11.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads