Do trainees who want to leave the industry realise it may not be better out there?

Watch
BRZ97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve read so much about the horror stories when it comes to teaching and how much those who just started to teach want to leave the profession but I can’t help but wonder if they realise every profession out there has it’s up and downs?

I’m keen on becoming a teacher but currently I’m in finance with over 5 years of experience and it’s absolute hell on earth.

My hours are 8am to 2am daily I work on the weekends as well. I work with demanding people because finance has a lot to do with sensitive information and there’s lots of payments, receipts and reports to be made. All of which hold high accountability.

It’s not only my profession though, I’ve got friends who are in engineering who also absolutely hate what they do.

There is no perfect profession. However from what I’ve read, I feel that those who want to leave the teaching profession only just after a few years. Have no idea what it’s like elsewhere.
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a trainee teacher at the moment
Honestly it is a lot of work, like a lot more hours than 8-2 lol. I think you really have to know what you're getting into before you sign up, and I think this is why a lot of people quit. When you're a teacher you could be getting to your school for seven and not leaving till six or seven at night. And you'll be working a lot of weekends too. It's a lot of prep and planning work and then obviously looking after/teaching the kids and dealing with parents etc.. It is very demanding.
I agree what you say about their being no perfect profession - there are downsides to every job. It wouldn't be work if it was easy.
However, I think that the benefits to teaching outweigh the negatives. You have to absolutely love working with kids and teaching. They make it all worth it
I wouldn't like to be stuck in a job I hate, even if it was less hours or better pay. I'd rather do something I enjoy for longer.
I work part time in admin, and part time in a school uniform shop too alongside uni. I don't really like working in admin at all, and I don't mind working in a shop however I wouldn't want to do it for the rest of my life.

I'd say if you absolutely hate your job and it's making you miserable I would think about giving teaching a go. It's a lot of work but it's such a rewarding job Xxx
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BRZ97)
I’ve read so much about the horror stories when it comes to teaching and how much those who just started to teach want to leave the profession but I can’t help but wonder if they realise every profession out there has it’s up and downs?

I’m keen on becoming a teacher but currently I’m in finance with over 5 years of experience and it’s absolute hell on earth.

My hours are 8am to 2am daily I work on the weekends as well. I work with demanding people because finance has a lot to do with sensitive information and there’s lots of payments, receipts and reports to be made. All of which hold high accountability.

It’s not only my profession though, I’ve got friends who are in engineering who also absolutely hate what they do.

There is no perfect profession. However from what I’ve read, I feel that those who want to leave the teaching profession only just after a few years. Have no idea what it’s like elsewhere.
What sort of job do you do at the moment? I presume that you are earning fortunes - which teachers do not.
BRZ97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
lucyyy12 8-2am the next day..
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BRZ97)
lucyyy12 8-2am the next day..
must’ve read that wrong sorry lol
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BRZ97)

FWIW, I agree with you that some people who leave teaching early on are naive about what it's like in other industries. There are a lot of people who come into teaching having never worked in another professional job, and they don't understand some of the expectations of teaching really aren't that unreasonable.

That said, I do think teaching is not the sort of job everyone can do (and it sounds like your job isn't either). In some jobs, you can skate by, being a bit crap and know it doesn't really affect anyone. In teaching, you've got the constant guilt of letting down the kids, and maybe messing up their futures.

I think you also have to consider the impact of Covid on some people. The way teachers have been treated as disposable during the pandemic has definitely pushed some people into leaving the profession. Imagine seeing a colleague die just before Christmas, and being told to go back into the classroom with no additional protection in January?

I would also say that the PGCE is really stressful in some very specific ways, and if you end up with a crap mentor, you can be stuck in a really difficult position.

I'd also add that increasingly, early career job insecurity causes people to leave teaching. A lot of people go into teaching because they think it'll be a safe bet. The pay can also be pretty crap early career depending on where you live, and it's hard to progress up the pay scale without a permanent job.

FWIW, I think there are loads of pros to teaching (otherwise I wouldn't a teacher!) but I also think it's a bit odd to comment in this way on a profession you're not part of and don't know that well? And I bet your salary is at least double mine, if not more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise