Darius323
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I decided to get my sh*t together and focus on my education after failing my AS year in A levels in 2018 (U U U U). I switched to BTEC and received a D*D*D* (Business) and was accepted into Durham University, where I recently received a first in my year 1. My question is whether or not my failure to pass the a levels will have an impact on my chances of landing a training contract.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Where are you applying to?

You will need to put down those AS levels and explain why you did poorly on them.

All firms are theoretically open to considering someone with BTECs, Access to HE and other less traditional qualifications. But the weight they'll give to them will probably vary depending on the firm and the rest of your CV (this may be worth emailing them about or asking at your careers fair). You've clearly done well at university so that is promising; compare to someone who got D*D*D* at BTEC but ended up at a less reputable university and is scraping a 2.1. But how you will compare to someone with As and A*s at A-level is difficult to predict, not least because your school grades are only a small part of your application, and different firms have different expectations when it comes to just how highly they expect you to have achieved.
Darius323
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to apply to MC law firms.

Out of curiosity what university did you go to and did you manage to get a training contract?
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Darius323)
I want to apply to MC law firms.

Out of curiosity what university did you go to and did you manage to get a training contract?
Yes, I'm a trainee.

If you're aiming for those firms, it might be worth getting in touch with them directly and asking. You're in a pretty unusual situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads