100% fruit and salad diet- is it healthy? Watch

This discussion is closed.
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi
i've been on this diet nearly 2 weeks now, its just fruits, raw salads and a glass of milk a day due to my lack of kitchen use (its too gross to use). i feel fine, and im taking multivitamins too. i plan to stay on the diet long term as it is cheap and easy cooking (ie none). but is it safe?

also, why do all men love steak??
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
hi
i've been on this diet nearly 2 weeks now, its just fruits, raw salads and a glass of milk a day due to my lack of kitchen use (its too gross to use). i feel fine, and im taking multivitamins too. i plan to stay on the diet long term as it is cheap and easy cooking (ie none). but is it safe?

How come it's too gross to use? Why not clean it? Not sure about only eating fruit and veg, my mum always says to have a balanced diet though. Aren't you bored of just eating fruit and veg by now?!
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi

It's not healthy to not eat any protein, I'm afraid.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yup u need protein... and you also need fat...
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
i get protein from milk. as for the multivit, i checked, its got the 100% RDA of everything.
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kew96158)
It's not healthy to not eat any protein, I'm afraid.
Veggies? lots of veggies are healthy.

Perhaps eat some fish; tuna, salmon.. in the salad. Or even chicken and ham, these take no preparation as you can get them prepacked and stuff.
CharleeB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
id stick some quorn/tofu in the mix if i were you, i dont think that it is v.good not to eat protein. maybe eat some bread to? pulses etc are a good source. maybe add some pine nuts to the salads?
Fire Point
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can live on that diet easily but you must eat bananas or even better DATES. Saharan dessert dwellers have lived on a diet of dates and water for most of their lifes so they contain all you need. Hope that's true enough. Daibhidh
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
(Original post by lessthanthree)
Right.

It's supposed to be "calming" and an "anti-anxiety" diet. so hopefully you'll be a bit more zenned out.

I expect that your [oh god, I'm sorry to say this] pooing a bit more often..what with the effect that fruit generally has on you.

-

I'm not entirely happy with the fact that there seems to be no protein in your diet, at all. and that's vital.

Might I suggest you follow the scarsdale approach...which is basically what you're doing, but with the added bonus of protein. [there's some meal plans in that link too]
thanks so much for your advice. i get protein from the milk but i guess i can drink more of that and maybe veggie cheese. all my life i never ate egg, meat, fish,chicken,geletine due to religion and it was ok but i used to eat pasta and cooked vegs etc.the milk is soya not cow milk.

and yea actually, in a weird way, this diet is totally calming and anti stress.

in fact, i have exams on now and i am not at all worried wheras before id be quite afraid.i recommend it to people who need destress :p:
CharleeB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you get protein from milk, but not the total amount that you need. also you will probably be lacking certain vital amino acids is you dont get it from a wide variety of sources .
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharleeB)
id stick some quorn/tofu in the mix if i were you, i dont think that it is v.good not to eat protein. maybe eat some bread to? pulses etc are a good source. maybe add some pine nuts to the salads?
yea i was thinking to add some beans or nuts. tofu isnt that high in protein, and quorn is v expensive and needs cooking.nuts are high in fats though so i'll add beans.

can i say, this diet is rubbish for weight loss- at uni last term i lost 1 1/2 st though eating 1 chocolate bar and 3 sandwiches all day but now im putting it back on!
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharleeB)
you get protein from milk, but not the total amount that you need. also you will probably be lacking certain vital amino acids is you dont get it from a wide variety of sources .
not even soya milk? i thought soya was a complete protein??

where do i get amino acids from?beans?? :confused:
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yea i was thinking to add some beans or nuts. tofu isnt that high in protein, and quorn is v expensive and needs cooking.nuts are high in fats though so i'll add beans.

can i say, this diet is rubbish for weight loss- at uni last term i lost 1 1/2 st though eating 1 chocolate bar and 3 sandwiches all day but now im putting it back on!
That's surprising considering how little fat you're consuming. :confused:
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For the last time there are tons of good non meat sources of protein. Its a complete myth that you need to eat meat to have a balanced diet. It might be worth you eating some other things like nuts though.

Vegetarian Dietary Sources

Although most vegetarian diets meet or exceed the Recommended Dietary Intake for protein, they often provide less protein than non-vegetarian diets. This lower protein intake may be associated with better calcium retention in vegetarians and improved kidney function in individuals with prior kidney damage. Further, lower protein intakes may result in a lower fat intake with its inherent advantages, because foods high in protein are also frequently high in fat.

In addition to this there are several advantages to eating plant rather than animal protein:

You will be eating less cholesterol, which is associated with heart disease. Plant foods contain no cholesterol.

You will be eating more fibre, which reduces the risk of bowel diseases, including cancer.

Women can halve their risk of breast cancer by regularly eating soy products.

The best plant source of protein is legumes, including soy products such as tofu and tempeh, lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, split peas and baked beans. The highest source per 100 grams is cooked soy beans, with 13.5 grams of protein.

Nuts and seeds are very high in protein, but because they also contain quite high levels of fat, they should be eaten in moderation. The highest source per 100 grams is peanuts, with over 27 grams of protein.

Grains, such as breakfast cereals, bread, rice or pasta are lower in protein, but still contribute useful amounts to the diet. Some vegetables also have useful amounts of protein.

Look at this table here
http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Protein.htm
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its probably because its too low fat so you're body is retaining the fat. Look at the RDAs here
http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
For the last time there are tons of good non meat sources of protein. Its a complete myth that you need to eat meat to have a balanced diet. It might be worth you eating some other things like nuts though.

Vegetarian Dietary Sources

Although most vegetarian diets meet or exceed the Recommended Dietary Intake for protein, they often provide less protein than non-vegetarian diets. This lower protein intake may be associated with better calcium retention in vegetarians and improved kidney function in individuals with prior kidney damage. Further, lower protein intakes may result in a lower fat intake with its inherent advantages, because foods high in protein are also frequently high in fat.

In addition to this there are several advantages to eating plant rather than animal protein:

You will be eating less cholesterol, which is associated with heart disease. Plant foods contain no cholesterol.

You will be eating more fibre, which reduces the risk of bowel diseases, including cancer.

Women can halve their risk of breast cancer by regularly eating soy products.

The best plant source of protein is legumes, including soy products such as tofu and tempeh, lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, split peas and baked beans. The highest source per 100 grams is cooked soy beans, with 13.5 grams of protein.

Nuts and seeds are very high in protein, but because they also contain quite high levels of fat, they should be eaten in moderation. The highest source per 100 grams is peanuts, with over 27 grams of protein.

Grains, such as breakfast cereals, bread, rice or pasta are lower in protein, but still contribute useful amounts to the diet. Some vegetables also have useful amounts of protein.

Look at this table here
http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Protein.htm
wow omg!!!! im gonna have to giv a rep! im gonna print this out right now!!!cheers alot thanks!!
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You need other protein sources than just milk. Pulses are the best bet... and how does tofu have a low protein content? surely it's mycoprotein?!
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...of_foods.shtml

half as much as kidney beans
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should be able to fill in the gaps in your diet really easily and cheaply. For instance you could add some nuts to your salads,
You could perhaps make some soups. You can make a very simple soup with dried lentils and tomatos.
You could also try eating something like humous which has oil (therefore fat) and chickpeas in it.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
thanks for your help! i will go buy some beans tomorrow!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads