Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, maybe someone was in similar situation so I just want to ask for advice.

I graduated with 2:1 degree and currently studying MSc subject doing good having couple of 70+ modules, however, I just want to ask in advance as it is not going easy, is there a still a chance of getting a grad job let's say if you fail dissertation only but having good degree and good msc grades for modules too? Some employers look only for 2:1 degrees only, so can it have an impact in case of dissertation fail if it happens but good marks and degree overall?

Thanks!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, maybe someone was in similar situation so I just want to ask for advice.

I graduated with 2:1 degree and currently studying MSc subject doing good having couple of 70+ modules, however, I just want to ask in advance as it is not going easy, is there a still a chance of getting a grad job let's say if you fail dissertation only but having good degree and good msc grades for modules too? Some employers look only for 2:1 degrees only, so can it have an impact in case of dissertation fail if it happens but good marks and degree overall?

Thanks!
Depending on your field, some grad schemes do not require a higher qualification than a BSc/BA. If you fail you dissertation, you can enquire about resitting it or exiting with a PgDip (which is a qualification that gives credit for the modules you've passed in Semesters 1 and 2).
arthurra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Depending on your field, some grad schemes do not require a higher qualification than a BSc/BA. If you fail you dissertation, you can enquire about resitting it or exiting with a PgDip (which is a qualification that gives credit for the modules you've passed in Semesters 1 and 2).
Thanks for reply, yes I am sure that 99% of grad schemes need only 2:1) But let's say I have an AC now I will get a job now but they will see that I failed dissertation in my MSc can this change an employer mind even though I have 2:1 ? That's what I am afraid of. Thanks!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by arthurra)
Thanks for reply, yes I am sure that 99% of grad schemes need only 2:1) But let's say I have an AC now I will get a job now but they will see that I failed dissertation in my MSc can this change an employer mind even though I have 2:1 ? That's what I am afraid of. Thanks!
I would imagine that would only make a big difference if the dissertation was related to the grad scheme, or if they only consider the most recent qualification you've done as important.
arthurra
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh that makes sense now thanks, but what if that program provides you with another Msc in different university as a bonus, would it have an impact in your opinion?, but obviously job contract would be signed before any result of dissertation
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh that makes sense now thanks, but what if that program provides you with another Msc in different university as a bonus, would it have an impact in your opinion?, but obviously job contract would be signed before any result of dissertation
Does the grad scheme will provide you with an MSc? It's not clear what you mean.
arthurra
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Does the grad scheme will provide you with an MSc? It's not clear what you mean.
Yes I am studying separate scheme now but that grad scheme will provide different MSc and full paid so hopefully it wony put them off if let's say I get PGdip. Thanks.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I am studying separate scheme now but that grad scheme will provide different MSc and full paid so hopefully it wony put them off if let's say I get PGdip. Thanks.
If they are providing a MSc, they may ask you why you didn't complete the full masters qualification. So be prepared in case that question comes up along the way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise